U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-26-2010, 07:55 PM

26 posts, read 36,032 times
Default Economy and Pension System of NY??

Hello everyone,

I have been a teacher in the great state of NJ for 9 years now. I don't know how much NJ news everyone in upstate NY receives, but we are having MAJOR crises regarding our pension system. The state hasn't contributed to the fund in roughly 10 years. With that being said, our new Governor has plans to make all municipalities contribute 20% more than what they already contribute.

As a teacher, my salary has been frozen for the next two years and with all towns having to pay more, it will trickle down to the regular Joe tax payer. I am in a position where I need one more year till I'm vested into a NJ pension and then I need to get out! My area is becoming just way too expensive. I wanted to ask the board here how the pension system is in NY? I get NYC news and it always seems like there are problems with Albany. Are things as bad as NJ? My wife and I would like to relocate in the near future, and Albany burbs, Saratoga area seem like a nice area where you can get a lot for your money.

I'd be interested in finding out more info about the area, but more importantly the economy and pension fund. I'd be looking to make the move possibly as a teacher, but more as an Administrator.

Thanks for any info!!

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area