Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM

20 posts, read 116,369 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at the Glens Falls area. I am a nurse practitioner and my wife is an RN. There seems to be several job options for both of us. Having said that, I have a few questions. Most of the threads for Glens Falls seem to be a year or more older so excuse me if I am asking redundant questions.

First and foremost: schools. We have a four year old, and this is a key issue. Schooldigger.com ranks most of the schools at about 3/5 or so. While there is more to schools than numbers it is a good start, and I have found Schooldigger to be fairly reliable.

Along those lines, activities for children that are community oriented or sponsored?

What about art, culture, and music? Not to be confused with night life, however, we do want to have some options (for art/music) without completely relying on other nearby cities.

Bike friendly?

Farmers markets, "greeness", etc. Also what about stores? Big retail or mom/pop/family owned? Don't care about malls (thats what Amazon.com is for!) but we love to park and walk to cool small shops.

House rentals? Not apartments but houses. We prefer renting to owning. Are there decent options. Where could I look online?

It seems like there is lots to do outdoors. What are the closest or most accessible skiing options?

Sun and snow. Are 4x4s necessary? What about SAD? We have lived in high snow areas (to us) such as Denver/Boulder and Chicago. No biggy because all of those cities had great "snow preparedness". What about GF? Atlanta shuts down if there is half an inch that barely sticks to the ground.

Have lived in Atlanta, Denver, and Chicago so I have experience with high crime rates. What about GF?

Is there a big difference between Glens Falls and South Glens Falls?

Politics and tolerance. We are moderate to liberal. I love a good political discussion. Don't want to preach to the choir, but don't want too much grief either. Are there haters in terms of tolerance (race, religion, lifestyle,etc)?

This is a lot I know, but thank anyone with input in advance.

Ivan

Last edited by ivanh3; 12-30-2010 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM

20 posts, read 116,369 times
That's a lot of links. Thanks! I just received a promo packet for the region from Glens Falls Hospital today. Can't wait to check it out.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM

263 posts, read 626,109 times
Glens falls has evolved in a great City the past 10 Years, a new and fantastic library, the brainchild of Henry Crandall philantropy did a lot of great things for the city in the 20th, There is an indoor arena, hockey, basketball, concerts etc, the Charles R wood theater is great, lots of nice walking restaurants and city center.A stone throw away from the Adirondacks, closest ski area is West Montain 10 minutes away ( nice for kids) closest big Mountain is Gore, 45 minutes North ( or less), good shopping all around. I would recomend it. We live in Saratoga Springs, 20 minutes south, got everything you need there ( check on the net)
Glens Falls Hospital is great, lots of employement etc

Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM

8 posts, read 30,319 times
Google Glens Falls Civic Center for ideas! Glens Falls is only a half hour from Saratoga Springs where SPAC is the summer home of the NYC Ballet.

I’ve never ridden a bike through Glens Falls but I walk around quite a bit & the drivers are very pedestrian friendly (I live in Albany & am looking to maybe move to Glens Falls temporarily). Drivers frequently wave me across at intersections. I imagine that drivers who would do that would be bicycle friendly also.

Downtown Glens Falls is pretty mom/pop. There are cute restaurants and antiques stores. Queensbury is more malls/chain stores. Again, Saratoga Springs has great walkability. It’s more high-end chain retail mixed with mom/pop.

I’m not sure how set you are on any one town, but if you prefer mom/pop stay out of Clifton Park.

Check out craigslist.org for Glens Falls for rentals. I’ve seen Glens Falls rentals on the Albany and Adirondack craigslists also. I’ve never looked for houses.

I’d recommend at least 1 family car that’s 4 wheel drive. My boyfriend lived in Colorado & in Central NYS. He isn’t fazed by snow here. No one freaks out about snow here (well, the news stations do on a slow news day…). I’ve lived in Upstate NY most of my life. Glens Falls seems to be as prepared as any other city.

I’m not sure about actual crime statistics but it’s generally assumed to be a pretty safe city. It is definitely not considered to be a high-crime area. As with any city, town or hamlet there are less desirable neighborhoods, but you get what you pay for.

Just from driving through on a semi-regular basis, South Glens Falls seems more poor, although not less nice.

Again, I have no idea what the actual facts are (& they are often skewered anyway since so many more liberal down-staters register to vote Upstate..) but Warren County is more blue collar than Albany. I consider myself a social liberal/economic conservative.

From the small conversations I’ve had around town they are very pro-America, extremely proud of their hometown soldiers and consider hard work to be a cure-all.

As far as “tolerance” goes there are haters anywhere. It’s very white city.

Expect a lot pick-up trucks & Carhart jackets. Since there are a lot of weekenders visiting Lake George and Saratoga Springs, the exposure to other lifestyles and religions is relatively high considering its rather isolated location. My assumption is that they are live & let live, especially if you’re going to spend money or otherwise contribute to the community.

Compared to the larger cities you are accustomed to living in, Glens Falls is pretty tame. Their local news comes from Albany. I think the only time we hear any news from the North Country is a random house fire or other tragedy. I’m sure there’s pretty crime going on, but as a weekend regular these are my observations.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 AM

142 posts, read 294,176 times
I presently live in the North Country in a house and property that's way too big for me and I'm looking to downsize. Where I live right now you have to drive everywhere. I'm really looking for a little city where I can walk around. I'm presently looking at houses online that are supposed to be in the heart of Glens Falls. They all mention how they are in close proximity to the library. Is it true that the library is in the heart of Glens Falls? Also, I plan to purchase a small condo in Florida. Is there another airport closer than Albany that has airlines that go to Florida - in particular, the Clearwater area?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Albany is probably the closest airport, but the rates are pretty good there. Perhaps a place like Ballston Spa might be better for you in terms of what you are looking for in a community and proximity to an airport.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM

334 posts, read 851,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
Is it true that the library is in the heart of Glens Falls?
Absolutely true. It is in downtown Glens Falls. It has no parking lot, but there is usually no problem finding a metered spot or a spot in a nearby short-term lot. If you are going to stay all day, there is a bank lot nearby that lets you park in the far end.

The newly renovated library is gorgeous - one of the best things about Glens Falls. A rather unusual aspect of the library is the Center for Folklife located in the library's basement. The Folklife Center sponsors performances throughout the year. They also have a changing exhibit area and an archival research room. Unfortunately, at the current time there is little about the Folklife Center on the library's web site, but enough to get you started.

I have attended several workshops at the library recently, and I always enjoy trying out the restaurants and bookstores nearby.

Although not downtown, Glens Falls also has two small but very good museums for a town of its size: The Hyde Collection for art and the Chapman Museum for history.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 AM

142 posts, read 294,176 times
Default Balston Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Albany is probably the closest airport, but the rates are pretty good there. Perhaps a place like Ballston Spa might be better for you in terms of what you are looking for in a community and proximity to an airport.
Isn't Balston Spa smaller and more rural. I'm looking for a city atmosphere, with minimal crime. From what I understand Balston Spa has some pretty rough areas.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:06 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Ballston Spa has "rough" areas? It is walkable and very close to Saratoga Springs, eventhough it is smaller. You would be closer to Albany too. Ballston Spa Business & Professional Association - Working Together to Promote Ballston Spa, New York

Ballston Spa, New York just minutes from Saratoga Springs, NY (http://www.ballstonspany.org - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area