U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,232 times
Default What are safe and not safe places in and around Troy and Albany, NY?

Hi!

I'll be moving into that area for work soon. I'll be working in Rensselaer tech park and I would like to live not further than 5-10 miles from that place. The closer the better because I want to avoid having a car (I am thinking bus+bike). I went to google earth and checked some random places in both Albany and Troy and well ... they look not very pretty. The first thing that comes to mind are movies and "documentaries" about "bad side of America"

I realize that nothing is perfect and probably each city on earth has good parts and bad parts. Could you please let me know which parts of Albany, Troy and may be some other nearby towns are:
- absolutely safe, for example where you wouldn't be afraid of walking alone at night
- acceptable: generally safe but it's better to look out and have an eye on what's happening around you
- not safe: places that should be avoided

Thanks in advance! That info will help me very much when I'll be looking for appartment and planning the route to work and groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 AM

29,030 posts, read 32,988,763 times
As for rough Albany neighborhoods, Arbor Hill and parts of the South End and West Hill have the worst reputations. In Troy, I believe parts of the North Central and South Central neighborhoods are the roughest. Both are old cities. So, they aren't going to look like newer cities, but they both have great architecture.

In Albany, you might like neighborhoods like Whitehall, Helderburg, Melrose, much of Pine Hills and Buckingham Lake, among some others. In Troy, you might like South Troy, the Hill, much of Lansingburgh, Sycaway, Frear Park and Eastside. This should help you get an idea of where these neighborhoods are: Albany NY Neighborhoods - Mansion, Pine Hills, Center Square, Colonie, Guilderland, Troy & More On Albany.com - Community's Official Guide

Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY

Troy, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)

This could help too: CDTA: Capital District Transportation Authority

MapsKrieg - Albany, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes (http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?CFID=1858497&CFTOKEN=35491520&page=searc h - broken link)

Old 01-26-2011, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 22,704 times
There is absolutely no place in any city anywhere that is perfectly safe, 24 hours a day.

We have lived almost two years in what you would call an "acceptable" place...it is the Hudson/Park neighborhood, a block from Empire State Plaza. As in any neighborhood, you have to be vigilant. Even here there have been muggings and robberies, but mostly after midnight. Our neighborhood association is very strong and we are trying to get bars to close here at 2 p.m. rather than at 4...who in the world can drink until 4 anyway? When the bars on Lark St. let out, the problems seem to happen more frequently. I look out on a park and see many single women walking their dogs at virtually all hours.

I am not sure where you are looking on Google Earth. Yes, Albany is an old city that has lost population over the years. There is spectacular architecture in places. Our neighborhood and neighboring Center Square could easily pass visually for Greenwich Village in New York City with its brownstones and stoops.

I know people who ride their bikes to near where you will be working; and the bus service is good to and from the Empire State Plaza which abuts Center Square and Hudson/Park. The tech park is not that far away.

From what I see on the news, Pine Hills is an area with much student housing as it is near major universities. Unfortunately and surprisingly, all too frequently students walking very late at night are prey for muggers. Buckingham Lake is gorgeous with large homes...not much walking in this neighborhood and you really need a car.

We purposely bought in Hudson/Park (bounded by Hudson on the north and Park on the south, Swan on the east and Willett on the west) because we could easily walk to the entertainment/restaurant district on Lark, to downtown, to the Egg and the New York State Museum and Library, and to Price Chopper. While not as "fancy" or large as other Price Choppers, it is a luxury to be able to walk to a supermarket and not have to drive if you don't want to.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 AM

33 posts, read 42,121 times
Check out the often overlooked Ten Broeck Triangle. Alot of Technology people live in there now and other high professionals. High income people have been redoing those houses for now about a decades though it is by no means totally regentrified.
Sometimes there are two to four family homes, sometimes owner occupied. Though the trend has been deconverting them to upscale SFR's as they originally were.
As with us often people will have sunny basement apartments in owner occupied homes for rent to students and young professional people. We have a young couple who both work for the NYS who have been with us for several years and to me it is comfey feeling to have them there since we live now in Ga most of the year.
Basement apartments can make for great study time as your landlord or whoever is upstairs will be on the second and third floors in their beds when you are burning the midnight oil in the Physics and calculus books! Late at night you will not hear anyone walking over you.
There is a mountain of renovation going on in Ten Broeck Triangle (you will see it abbr. TBT) and there and some new condo development that is doing well I hear. We own a home there and one in a lake community near Atlanta where we live most of the time. When we are in Albany I will let my teenagers walk to the store alone and I would not have ten years ago. Some of the townhouses on the first blocks of Clinton have been renovated too. You could look in there for one in an owner occupied building to rent a unit in.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 10,052 times
East Greenbush, Averil Park and Wynantskill are some of the most laid-back areas around here that are relatively close to that Tech Park. I'm talking within 10-20 minute drive. South Troy is a decent area that is about 10 minutes from there. Areas I would strongly suggest avoiding - Schenectady, Rennselaer (can never remember the correct spelling for that city,) Arbor Hill area of Albany and Amsterdam.

Just an FYI, the Capitol Region is host to some of the top 100 best places to live on an annual basis. Saratoga is great if you can afford it. As is Clifton Park or Glens Falls.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM

3,281 posts, read 2,664,569 times
East Greenbush, North Greenbush, Averill Park, Brunswick, Wynantskill are places I'd look to be close to the Tech Park. All have decent schools....reasonable shopping close by for things like groceries, school supplies, every day items. Near highways as well. Check out CDTA's website. That's the local bus service. Looking at the schedules and where exactly they go will give you an idea of how reasonable an area would be for your commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area