Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 04:42 PM

30 posts, read 86,647 times

Advertisements

Moving from Pittsburgh to Albany. I'm used to hills and winding roads, which, unfortunately, either alone or in combination generally don't exist in Albany. Everything is quite efficiently laid out (albeit visually boring ) in Albany -- each town and its suburbia is a perfectly squared grid immediately extending off the Northway at evenly spaced exits. Of course, this results in every town looking identical from exit 3 up 'til Glens Falls.

I want diversity, darn it! Any suggestions with respect to areas with nicer new developments that have a hill or two so that it won't appear that every home is at the identical (within 1 centimeter) height and that I can't shine a laser pointer from my house and have the beam go through the side windows of the next 10 parallel homes near me?

And no, please don't be a wise guy and suggest I move to Troy or some lesser desirable area east of Albany so that I can have my precious some hills. I would be willing to accept a Soup Nazi answer of: "No hills for you! You live in a valley!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM

379 posts, read 512,659 times
May I ask why you moved from Pittsburgh? I'm considering a move there, vs. moving to Albany, or Syracuse. I can't decide.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefromthecure View Post
Moving from Pittsburgh to Albany. I'm used to hills and winding roads, which, unfortunately, either alone or in combination generally don't exist in Albany. Everything is quite efficiently laid out (albeit visually boring ) in Albany -- each town and its suburbia is a perfectly squared grid immediately extending off the Northway at evenly spaced exits. Of course, this results in every town looking identical from exit 3 up 'til Glens Falls.

I want diversity, darn it! Any suggestions with respect to areas with nicer new developments that have a hill or two so that it won't appear that every home is at the identical (within 1 centimeter) height and that I can't shine a laser pointer from my house and have the beam go through the side windows of the next 10 parallel homes near me?

And no, please don't be a wise guy and suggest I move to Troy or some lesser desirable area east of Albany so that I can have my precious some hills. I would be willing to accept a Soup Nazi answer of: "No hills for you! You live in a valley!"
Actually, Troy is close to the Berkshires of MA. I'm thinking that you would probably like saratoga County, which is close to the adirondacks. Perhaps something like Clifton Park, Ballston Spa, Ballston Lake, Burnt Hills and so on.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM

263 posts, read 626,109 times
You are looking at 15 Year + older developments same house same builder, last 10 Years every new development along the Clifton Park /Saratoga region have at least 7 or 8 models to choose from, starting at 1800 sq feet, all the way to 4000 square feet, look at newer areas, any decent Real estate person can help you. There is a Hill on exit 16 off the Northway (Wilton,Corinth) pretty big,one to ..... You want diversity go over the Hill, Corinth, Hadley etc

Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
you might look into a development in Northunderland - Brampton Woods

Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Helderberg Hilltowns - Albany Hilltowns

Guess you have to face facts though....Albany itself is in a valley....gotta go a bit away fro it to hit the mountains

Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM

30 posts, read 86,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
May I ask why you moved from Pittsburgh? I'm considering a move there, vs. moving to Albany, or Syracuse. I can't decide.
I'm indirectly involved with the new chip plant in Malta. Aside from job moves and going back to family, I don't think people willingly move to Albany.

Thanks everyone for the tips... sucks that Albany is smack dab in the middle of a valley. Looks like living in Saratoga County would be the closest I would come to more than a 2% grade.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
I'm indirectly involved with the new chip plant in Malta. Aside from job moves and going back to family, I don't think people willingly move to Albany.

Thanks everyone for the tips... sucks that Albany is smack dab in the middle of a valley. Looks like living in Saratoga County would be the closest I would come to more than a 2% grade.
I don't know as the metro's population has grown steadily for a while.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM

379 posts, read 512,659 times
Quote:

I'm surprised to hear this. The Metro region seemed pretty nice the few times that I've been there. I did make the mistake of driving through Arbor Hill one night, but other than that, it didn't seem that bad. Saratoga County, in particular, was quite beautiful from what I remember.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM

334 posts, read 851,943 times
Quote:
Looks like living in Saratoga County would be the closest I would come to more than a 2% grade.
I think you've previously said you don't want to live in Renssealer County, but that area is definitely hilly in parts (try riding your bike from the River Street District to the Emma Willard School, and you'll see what I mean!) Also, the "Hilltowns" have hills (Berne-Knox-Westerlo) and are quite pretty, but perhaps too rural for what you are looking for and a hike to Malta.

I also really like Glens Falls, which is at the southern end of the Adirondacks and a lot more affordable than Saratoga. The city has a couple of good book stores and some really great restaurants downtown, a Folklife Center in the newly renovated public library with galleries, films & performances, and the Hyde Collection is a small but well-run art museum. The feel of the place is much more down-to-earth and all-American than in Saratoga. Saratoga has a lot going for it, and many people love living there, but the summers can be annoying with the crowds, and it has a little bit more of a Desperate Housewives vibe than Glens Falls. Close to Malta, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area