U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,538 times

Advertisements

Hi I am considering moving to Waterford NY to work as a researcher. I am currently living in Washington state (west coast). I have been reading the forums and Albany/Troy area seems to be not a very good place to live, particularly in terms of crime. Do you think its best to reconsider my move?
If I happen to move, what do you think of neighborhoods of Waterford; like Cohoes, Burnswick and Green Island. What are the best areas around there (interms of safety). I do not care much if I do not have an entertainment area in walkable distance, etc. Safety is most important.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 AM

52,619 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researcher82 View Post
Hi I am considering moving to Waterford NY to work as a researcher. I am currently living in Washington state (west coast). I have been reading the forums and Albany/Troy area seems to be not a very good place to live, particularly in terms of crime. Do you think its best to reconsider my move?
If I happen to move, what do you think of neighborhoods of Waterford; like Cohoes, Burnswick and Green Island. What are the best areas around there (interms of safety). I do not care much if I do not have an entertainment area in walkable distance, etc. Safety is most important.
From what I know, Waterford is fine and is a somewhat walkable village too: Walk Score of waterford ny

I believe the others are generally fine in terms of safety, but are more gritty/blue collar. Same with Watervliet, Mechanicville and Rensselaer. You might something like Ballston Spa or even Saratoga Springs. Parts of Troy and Albany are fine as well. Perhaps the Lansingburgh neighborhood in Troy could work.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,538 times
Default Thanks

Hi Thank you for the reply. What are some of the neighborhoods where more professionals/white collar live in Albany/Troy area? Is Saratoga Springs quite safe?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 AM

52,619 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researcher82 View Post
Hi Thank you for the reply. What are some of the neighborhoods where more professionals/white collar live in Albany/Troy area? Is Saratoga Springs quite safe?
Saratoga Springs is fine and has quite a bit going on for a city of it's size. In Albany, neighborhoods near SUNY-Albany, Whitehall and Helderburg would probably work for you. In Troy, areas around RPI and South Troy might be areas you would like.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 PM

335 posts, read 690,421 times
Waterford is a nice little town with a good mix of white and blue collar, young and old. The town is small, but it has a few things going on, including an annual tugboat rally! Check out the Waterford Museum and Cultural Center to get a feel for the town.

Are you single, have kids, prefer a rural, suburban or urban feel? If you tell us a little more about what you are looking for, we may be able to help you better pinpoint a community. There is a lot of variety in feel and types of communities within a short distance from Albany, and traffic is not too bad here, with the possible exception of the Northway (Route 87 from Albany to the Canadian border, but Albany to Saratoga is the part with traffic), especially on ski and summer weekends.

The places you listed are safe, but have different feels to them, as another poster mentioned. I have heard nothing but good things about the Lofts at Harmony Mills apartments, which are rehabbed mill buildings in Cohoes, and they are very close to the highway. Some of the buildings have secured garage parking, so you should feel safe even if coming home late. Not much walkable from them, but that may not be important to you.

Also, to put Albany in context - I live in Albany, and I feel perfectly safe allowing my kids to walk to the library, pharmacy, convenience store, etc. in day-time and early evening hours, and most other kids I know in our neighborhood are allowed to do that too. There are definitely parts of Albany to avoid if safety is your main concern, but many parts are fine. The safest areas are probably Buckingham Pond area (pricey), Upper New Scotland (more suburban feel and some newer homes), and the Heldeberg area. Pine Hills does has more crime, but it tends to be late at night and involving college students. Center Square and Delaware Ave are probably the most interesting parts of town (Delaware Ave is my favorite part of the city now), but probably a little too edgy for what you are looking for.

I don't know Troy as well, but know several white collar families - mainly professors - that live there and enjoy it greatly, so I know there are safe residential neighborhoods there as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 PM

335 posts, read 690,421 times
Oh, I just read your question more closely. Do you know where you would be working? If in Albany, Loudonville is next to Albany, and is safe and filled with doctors, lawyers & bankers. (So expensive, yes!) There tends to be two types of houses in Loudonville - stately old homes, with mature trees around them & McMansions in subdivisions with cul-de-sacs. You can find apartments there, though. If you look on the map, Loudonville looks like it abuts Arbor Hill, one of the rougher neighborhoods in Albany, but there is a highway between them, and, believe me, you will not mistake one for the other.

Lots of white collar folks live in Delmar/Bethlehem too - tending more towards the researcher, professor types than Loudonville, and there are smaller homes and apartments in Delmar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area