Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 21,142 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Upstate New York In June. My husband will work in Schenectady. I know I do not want to live there so I have been doing some research on Clifford park, Niskayuna, and other locations. I am so scared because it is hard to pick out a great town with wonderful schools if you know nothing about the area. I live in Indiana so this will be very scary for me and from what I have seen through research to get a nice house you will have to at least pay about $250.00 for a decent family home. I know nothing about the areas or anything of where to start. Are people nice there? I don't know anything. Could someone please help me before it causes a divorce between myself and my husband? Any info would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Nice Suburbs Capital District, NYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeople View Post
I am moving to Upstate New York In June. My husband will work in Schenectady. I know I do not want to live there so I have been doing some research on Clifford park, Niskayuna, and other locations. I am so scared because it is hard to pick out a great town with wonderful schools if you know nothing about the area. I live in Indiana so this will be very scary for me and from what I have seen through research to get a nice house you will have to at least pay about $250.00 for a decent family home. I know nothing about the areas or anything of where to start. Are people nice there? I don't know anything. Could someone please help me before it causes a divorce between myself and my husband? Any info would be much appreciated.
Hello Littlepeople,

I live in the Syracuse Suburbs and have never lived near Schenectady or Albany. I have visited that area though and these are my impressions of Sch/Alb. I do know that the Albany/Capital District Cities do have higher priced homes than my Syracuse Suburbs area for the same types of homes.

There are nice neighborhoods/areas in several towns near Schenectady/Albany. You will find nice neighborhoods in Rotterdam, Guilderland, Niskayuna, Clifton Park, Elnora, Burnt Hills, & Country Knolls. You have to drive around the streets to find a nice, well maintained neighborhood that you like the appearance of the area. Some of the neighborhoods will be newer homes and some of the neighborhoods will have older homes. You and your husband should drive around and look at the areas you might like.

I think people who live in these towns are nice people. You and your husband should be able to be happy living somewhere in these towns.

My suggestion to you is that you ask your questions on the Albany area City-Data Section. Just click on the following Link Line and ask your questions to the people who live near Schenectady/Albany.

Click on this line>>> http://www.city-data.com/forum/albany-area/

Then ask those Schenectady/Albany people the questions that you have. They can tell you about the good schools. Tell you about reasonable priced homes. Tell you about nice neighborhoods. And give you answers to your other questions. Good luck to you. Welcome to New York State.

I have the idea that you would like the Clifton Park area, if you can find a home there in your price range.

Last edited by grdnrman; 03-07-2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 PM

8 posts, read 35,060 times
Default boby223@yahoocom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeople View Post
Schenectady is a big city, mother of General Electric.
It has good areas and bad ones too. All of it soroundings are pretty much heavely populated because of its growth.

Commuting is very easy from anywhere west of it, where it is mostly muchmuch calmer,and coutry like.
I live in a town called (town of Florida) 15 minutes from GE.
From my town there are 3 mayor highways to Schenectady.
One is state highway 5 also highway 5s and the NYS Trway

I will be glad toassist further if you wish, please write toMy Title wish is my email add
o

Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 PM

334 posts, read 852,015 times
I have lived in both the urban Northeast - mainly Boston - and the Upper Midwest. My husband and I agree that the Capital District "attitude" is more akin to the Midwest than Boston/NYC/Washington DC. The pace of life is slower here and people are generally more friendly and low-key. There isn't nearly as much of the sizing people up based on school, job & money and one-upmanship here as there is further east and south of here.

That said, I find the area has more of an East Coast attitude towards civic life and public services. In the Midwest, things generally work more smoothly and people are more concerned with the common good. Here there are layers and layers of government - byzantine systems that were set up decades or centuries ago that people don't seem to want to streamline. I think it may be because they don't know how much better it can be. They really think they are getting something special from, say, village government.

Tell us a little more about what sort of place you are looking for. There are a wide variety of options close to Schenectady. Commuting here is pretty easy as long as you don't mind commuting by car. You have many choices, from sprawling suburbs to older, more compact suburbs to urban neighborhoods, to more rural towns and villages all within easy commuting distance to Schenectady. What ages are your kids? What do you all like to do - sports, arts, restaurants, outdoors stuff? Once we know a little more, we can better direct you.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 AM

257 posts, read 751,137 times
My family is looking to move to the area as well. I have a brother than lives in Latham and his wife works in Schenectady. We have 2 children and are looking for some of the same things I think. We have narrowed our list to Latham, Colonie, Clifton Park, Niskayuna and Ballston Spa. We are looking to purchase less than 200k, and have been able to find a quite a few nice homes. Be careful to look at taxes though, as they vary widely and can really change your monthly payments. I find they are lowest in Latham and Colonie, so you might get more "house" there. I'm from Long Island (just outside NYC), so all I can say about the people, is that in my experience they seem nicer and more laid back than where I am. Good luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area