Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:12 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=v_sdT...T7jk6Sl_NmHkpw

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=v_sdT...uDsgP2ih5dgOAw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 04:39 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Default Wilton

We lived in a development close to the Oaks and the Woods for most of the ninetys (Lake Elizabeth Estates). It is west of Northern Pines between Gailor and Worth Roads. When we first moved in, traffic on Rte. 50 between Saratoga Springs and the malls (which are just to the east of Interstate 87 aka the Northway) was not that bad. By the time we left it was getting increasingly worse and now it is really busy. The location of the Oaks looks a little better to me because the Woods seem like it would be too close to the interstate and its associated road noise.

I used to take Northern Pines to Jones Road and Rte 50 to get on the Northway southbound to get to work. With the traffic as heavy as it has become, a better route would probably be to go a little north to Exit 16 and jump on the Northway.

Overall, we liked living in Wilton. The best part was being that much closer to the Adirondacks. My daily commute took me to Albany, so that got to be a little too much and we decided to move closer to Albany.

I am not sure where your husband's workplace will be, but if it is south of Saratoga County, I would not recommend Queensbury. That would be a long commute (at least in my opinion).

Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 18,981 times
exny - thanks for all the info. He would be commuting a bit of everywhere, but mostly further upstate. I, on the other hand, have not yet found a job upstate. I'm hoping to be able to find something in the Glens Falls area but I wouldnt mind going to Albany either. We're coming from downstate in the Rockland area and I'm used to commuting to NYC, so I can't imagine traffic would be much worse up in Saratoga county...or am I mistaken? On an average day, how long would you say the commute from Wilton to Albany takes?

So far we have it narrowed down to several neighborhoods in Wilton. Preston Court, Westbrook, and The Oaks. The other streets we've found homes on but not sure if they are in "subdivisions" are Fairmount Dr, Waverly Place, and Stonehedge Drive. Any info on these areas?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Wilton to Albany....probably a good 45 minutes without anything major happening on the Northway.

I was going to suggest Burnt Hills before I read you were looking into Queensbury. Burnt Hills has a really good school district. There are older homes and new homes. You can walk around town also. The Jonesville Store is in town and a little out of town is Fo Castle Farms which is like a country store with a restaurant. Jonesville Store also has a restaurant to it.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 PM

These links were extremely helpful. Thank you!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingTheMove11 View Post
exny - thanks for all the info. He would be commuting a bit of everywhere, but mostly further upstate. I, on the other hand, have not yet found a job upstate. I'm hoping to be able to find something in the Glens Falls area but I wouldnt mind going to Albany either. We're coming from downstate in the Rockland area and I'm used to commuting to NYC, so I can't imagine traffic would be much worse up in Saratoga county...or am I mistaken? On an average day, how long would you say the commute from Wilton to Albany takes?

So far we have it narrowed down to several neighborhoods in Wilton. Preston Court, Westbrook, and The Oaks. The other streets we've found homes on but not sure if they are in "subdivisions" are Fairmount Dr, Waverly Place, and Stonehedge Drive. Any info on these areas?
The traffic here is usually nothing compared to major metropolitan areas. The thing that complicates matters commuting from Saratoga County to Albany or Schenectady County is the fact that you have to cross the Mohawk River and there are a limited number of bridges so that cuts down on alternate routes if there is an accident on one of the main routes. My commute from Wilton to Albany was usually about 45 minutes, but that was only because I worked the 7:00 to 3:00 shift. If you start work at 8:00 or later, I think it would be closer to 1 hour because after 7:45 or so and especially in the Winter, there is almost always a backup at the Twin Bridges (the Northway Bridges over the Mohawk River).

I am pretty sure the other streets you mentioned are also in subdivisions. I am not sure what your thoughts are on "road noise", but as I stated in my previous post, the only thing I would caution you on is that some of the subdivisions are close to the Northway.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 AM

Yea, I did some more research and it looks like a few of the subdivisions back right up to the Northway. I'm not in love with the idea of road noise so when we're up again this weekend we'll have to drive through and spend some time deciding if it's too loud for us.

We also checked out a few subdivisions in Ballston Lake that we like and several in Saratoga Springs.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingTheMove11 View Post
Thanks for the advice Ellwood! I know we like Sarartoga Springs too, but my fear is that we can't afford anything there, which is why we were also looking at Wilton since it's so close. I know you're outside of Wilton, but can you tell me anything more about it? Where the more built-up areas are, where you would do your food shopping, which part is older and which is newer, how is the school district, etc.

I appreciate all the help!
Wilton seems like a nice town, safe, family oriented. There is a mall in Wilton, Hannafords and Price Chopper grocery stores, Rite-Aid, Walgreen's, BJ's warehouse. There is a Sam's Club at Exit 6 on the Northway (Wilton is Exit 15), larger shopping mall is Clifton Park Center (Exit 9). Larger than that shopping mall is Colonie (Exit 2?).

Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM

263 posts, read 625,907 times
Oaks = Timbira dr., and yes the Woods are too close to the highway, we looked there. I comute to Albany (early) at about 5:30 am, no issues ever, 45 minutes to my job.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Wilton seems like a nice town, safe, family oriented. There is a mall in Wilton, Hannafords and Price Chopper grocery stores, Rite-Aid, Walgreen's, BJ's warehouse. There is a Sam's Club at Exit 6 on the Northway (Wilton is Exit 15), larger shopping mall is Clifton Park Center (Exit 9). Larger than that shopping mall is Colonie (Exit 2?).
Oh wow, okay I didn't even realize there was a Hannafords and Price Chopper there...I thought I'd have to travel into Saratoga Springs to do my food shopping. It sounds like its very centrally located to everything. I'm thinking more and more that this is the right town for us. It sounds lovely. We'll be driving through again today and we'll be sure to take a closer look so I'll let you know what we think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area