Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:26 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls012 View Post
Come on Ckhthankgod- did you really read it that way? That's not a fair comparrison for upstate NY even in good economic conditions -I hardly think that was the point here. I really appreciated NancyDru's responce, as she understands the area I currently live (MD/DC/VA)and the Albany area, which I am considering moving too. Thanks!

That is what I was getting at too. What's interesting, the other major Upstate NY cities has some of the things that Albany was lacking. actually, Wegman's is based in Rochester and they are in the metros west of the Utica-Rome area.

There are walkable areas outside of Albany in places like Troy, Schenectady, Saratoga Springs, Delmar, Scotia, Ballston Spa and other villages/small cities like Watervliet, Waterford, Rensselaer and Mechanicville. They range in terms of character from blue collar to upper middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 PM

24 posts, read 109,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Did someone just compare the Albany area to the DC area, especially considering the growth of the federal government and the downsizing of state governments?
No, I was just comparing the grocery shopping. Hehe. I was one of those "We Want Trader Joe's in the Capital District" people who used to take a cooler when I went to NYC to stock up on TJ's. And I was trying to make a comparison since MLS lives near me now and is looking to move where I just moved from.

The state worker situation in NYS is bad and I wasn't trying to misstate that -- I was a "state worker" in Albany and have many friends still at the state. Though the feds apparently have some hiring freezes in effect. So I moved from one dysfunctional gov't hub to another...

Oh, and the last time I was driving in Albany rush hour, I couldn't believe that I used to rant and rave all the way home on my 15-minute commute. Little did I know what bad traffic was!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM

334 posts, read 851,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciDru View Post
Since you have a daughter, the problem with Albany is the schools. I have heard mixed reviews about the school on New Scotland (I think it's School 29?). I know of plenty of people who went to Albany public schools and did fine, but the overall community opinion is that they aren't good.
The Albany Schools are a mixed bag. However, they are not as bad as their reputation. (One of my pet peeves is people moving out of the city when they have kids because the schools are "bad," without even taking the time to personally visit their local school or even figuring out what school they are zoned for, but basing their decision totally on hearsay - something we wouldn't want our kids to do.)

New Scotland Elementary School (formerly School 19) and Montessori Magnet have very good reputations, and I have not met a parent who is unhappy with either school. Pine Hills Elementary (formerly School 16) has a poorer student body, but a very active PTA that receives a support from the neighborhood association. Delaware Community School (formerly School 18) has a well-regarded dual language program, where classes alternate between English and Spanish. I know people living in the Delaware cachement area get preference for admittance to the program, but I believe there are still fewer spots for native-English speakers than there are people interested, so contact the school district before picking a home based on that program.

I do not know as many people who have sent kids to the other two magnet schools - Albany School of the Humanities & Thomas O'Brien Academy of Science and Technology - but those are also citywide magnet elementary schools that have good reputations.

The middle schools in Albany are where many parents get worried. I know of people that sent their kids to private school for middle school and then returned for Albany High. I had always thought that we would leave the public schools by middle school, but now my oldest is entering her last year at Hackett Middle School. The school has a great principal, and a lot of improvements are being made. I am happy with the academics. That said, there are a lot of poor kids and a number of rough kids that attend Hackett, and that has an effect on the education. The school discipline is more rigid than you would have in a suburban school, more kids need remedial help than in a suburban school, and the school has more than its share of kids with bad attitudes. My daughter is introverted, minds her own business and does fine. If your kid is the sort that wants to know what's going on with everyone, than there will be more chances for her to go astray than at a wealthier, more sheltered school.

The other thing about the Capital District that others have mentioned is its lack of some major chains like Trader Joes and Whole Foods. The lack of these stores doesn't bother me, but the constant whining about the lack of these stores does, if that makes sense. People here go ga-ga when a new chain opens - they were so thrilled when Chipotles started opening around here, for instance. And everyone seems to think that if an Ikea and a Trader Joes opened here, all the region's problems would be solved!

I only know a little about Columbia, MD. If you most of your entertainment takes place in Columbia, then the following might not apply to you - bu the thing I like about Albany is that you can afford to live near the city, and it is easy to get to other cities and towns in the region to take advantage of the fun that is offered there. There is definitely not as much happening than in the greater DC area, but since it is easier to get to, you might find yourself doing more things than in MD. I know several people with kids in the distant Metro DC suburbs, like Columbia. They tend to never take advantage of all the great events offered in DC and Baltimore because by time they get home, they don't want to venture out again, and they don't want to go into the District on the weekend because it's too far and too much of a hassle.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM

24 posts, read 109,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post

The other thing about the Capital District that others have mentioned is its lack of some major chains like Trader Joes and Whole Foods. The lack of these stores doesn't bother me, but the constant whining about the lack of these stores does, if that makes sense. People here go ga-ga when a new chain opens - they were so thrilled when Chipotles started opening around here, for instance. And everyone seems to think that if an Ikea and a Trader Joes opened here, all the region's problems would be solved!

There is definitely not as much happening than in the greater DC area, but since it is easier to get to, you might find yourself doing more things than in MD.
So true! When the first Chipotle opened, the line was a mile long! On the food front, though I love Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, I really miss my CSA (community supported agriculture) share in Albany. And the Honest Weight Food Co-Op recently renovated and expanded. If you are a foodie, there are also a lot of community gardens. Plus, you can be on a beautiful lake canoeing or skiing in the winter in the same time it would take to commute from Columbia to DC.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
So when we were in Troy last week I took a glance at one the big older houses in the "uptown" (not townhouse) section north of the Institute (glanced at it FROM the campus) and I said to DW - if that were in a comparable nabe back home, say Del Ray in Alexandria, that would be cut into 6 condos and each would be like 300k. Here, probably the whole thing is 300k.

I wasn't far wrong, was I. Of course thats only worthwhile if you happen to have a JOB in the region (I mean aside from making it easier for RPI students to live off campus, vs say GW students). I HOPE President Jackson is using the cost of housing as an enticement in recruiting faculty. Teaching at RPI, and living in some oversized underpriced (despite NYS taxes) Troy house, has to be a good lifestyle. Local public schools? Well lots of married faculty who move to colleges in smallish places have trailing spouses who can't get suitable jobs - seems ideal situation to homeschool.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:04 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
So when we were in Troy last week I took a glance at one the big older houses in the "uptown" (not townhouse) section north of the Institute (glanced at it FROM the campus) and I said to DW - if that were in a comparable nabe back home, say Del Ray in Alexandria, that would be cut into 6 condos and each would be like 300k. Here, probably the whole thing is 300k.

I wasn't far wrong, was I. Of course thats only worthwhile if you happen to have a JOB in the region (I mean aside from making it easier for RPI students to live off campus, vs say GW students). I HOPE President Jackson is using the cost of housing as an enticement in recruiting faculty. Teaching at RPI, and living in some oversized underpriced (despite NYS taxes) Troy house, has to be a good lifestyle. Local public schools? Well lots of married faculty who move to colleges in smallish places have trailing spouses who can't get suitable jobs - seems ideal situation to homeschool.
Actually, Troy High and Lansingburgh High both have above average graduation rates(in the high 70's-low 80's range). There are also 2 catholic HS's in the city(1 is all boys LaSalle and the other is coed Catholic Central). You also have the private, all girls Emma Willard School there as well. That's not bad for a city of 50,000 people.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM

263 posts, read 626,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanciDru View Post
No, I was just comparing the grocery shopping. Hehe. I was one of those "We Want Trader Joe's in the Capital District" people who used to take a cooler when I went to NYC to stock up on TJ's. And I was trying to make a comparison since MLS lives near me now and is looking to move where I just moved from.

The state worker situation in NYS is bad and I wasn't trying to misstate that -- I was a "state worker" in Albany and have many friends still at the state. Though the feds apparently have some hiring freezes in effect. So I moved from one dysfunctional gov't hub to another...

Oh, and the last time I was driving in Albany rush hour, I couldn't believe that I used to rant and rave all the way home on my 15-minute commute. Little did I know what bad traffic was!
Trader Joe would do well in the capital District, they simply dont see the potential, as far as traffic up here? anyone complaining about has never lived in a high traffic area....The Meat house is opening this week at Stuv Plaza, that is a NICE old time butcher chain, a bit pricey, but Oh so nice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area