U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2007, 05:30 PM

27 posts, read 70,055 times
Default Be Honest. How bad are the winter months in the Albany area and further north to Warren county.

I hear so many folks remarking about the brutal winters of upstate NY (I'm interested in learning more about the capital region and further north up to the Lake George area. NOT the western NY state regions). I have friends in Saratoga county that seem not to mind the snow and cold at all. Long island - Putnam and Dutches counties are fortunate in many ways regarding weather conditions but, just how different can climate conditions be as you travel further up the Northway?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 PM

17 posts, read 56,635 times
It varies from year to year, though it is never what you would consider balmy, lol.

It literally gets cold enough to freeze the hair in your nose. I once had a camcorder completely freeze up while filming my neighborhood. And I remember one Thanksgiving a long, long time ago that we were totally snowed in. We missed our family Thanksgiving at my sister's house and had to eat what he had on hand -- we made a turkey shaped meatloaf.

I don't mind the snow except on work mornings. Every morning, without fail, I would dig my car out, run inside, shower and dress, and by the time I got back outside, the plows had buried my car again.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:20 AM

254 posts, read 749,611 times
Default is a frozen waterfall cold enough fer'ya

I really donít know how it happens but the Cohoes waterfalls which is sizable, will freeze up most winters. It is a controlled river at that point and mostly during the winter it is not raging but even with a moderate amount going over, it looks really cool when it freezes and makes for great pictures to send to the folks down south. Scares them to death. Now for reality, I donít think it gets as cold as it used to years ago but most winters it will get to around 10 below and hang around there for a week solid. It can also dip to 20 below but that is rare and then it jumps right back up to between 0 & 20. There are plenty of breaks between the dips where it can be as high as 30 & 40. There is a huge difference between western NY & Eastern NY. Western is where NY gets its reputation for the slammin, jammin, hard-core winters.
Donít let it scare you, try it, there is a certain charm and pride of going through a tough winter and a great community spirit associated with it.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 AM

136 posts, read 505,322 times
I was in the Albany area for 5 winters from 1966 thru 1971. The coldest I saw was -28F, and only a couple of days failed to reach 0F as a high. A number of nights reached -20F during those 5 years. The coldest month I saw was January 1970, with an average temperature of about 10F.

We never had 10 feet of total snowfall any winter, and I'd guess the average was only about 5-6 feet per winter during those winters.

Things are supposedly a lot milder now -- global warming, perhaps?

Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM

13 posts, read 41,387 times
How bad could it be? Not as bad as Syracuse! Albany doesn't get the snowfall we get here in Syracuse. Head up the Northway at your own risk. Only kidding.
If you are going to live in snow country then you have to play outside in it. Go skiing, skating, build snow forts, snowshoe...anything to get outdoors. Would be a long boring winter without snow sports. I jog all winter long no matter the weather. I've run when it has been 15 below zero. Never hurt you. Besides you'll keep better in the cold.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 AM

7,397 posts, read 10,426,364 times
Helpful observations. I often wonder if I could handle the winters up there. I figure the snow makes the winter more interesting. Winters down here in DC are always wet and dreary.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 AM

897 posts, read 1,589,160 times
I lived in Rochester and Albany and the differences are: Albany gets colder than other upstate cities, snow is less, Road are not plowed as good as western ny cities. Downtown seems to have the best kept roads near the capital but the rest of the city is slow to remove snow. They see more ice on the road then compared to western ny. I'll I remember it is just colder because they do not have a large lake to keep them a little warmer.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:19 PM

9 posts, read 14,485 times
Im coming from Minneapolis, MN, where I think we have the coldest longest winter possible in the United States (most cities in Alaska included). It seems from what you are saying though, that Albany is about as bad, which scares me a bit (Im considering a move there, in part because the weather must be more mild!). We have days that don't touch 0F, definitely, but not usually more than a week of that, as the previous poster said of Albany. Eeesh. When does spring come? sooner at least?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 AM

4,079 posts, read 7,321,382 times
Default Saratoga County

Saratoga Springs Neighborhood Profile on Yahoo! Real Estate - Demographics, Cost of Living & more!

Last winter we had 64 inches of snow and the average temperature in Jan was 10. The roads are cleared quickly and unless the wind is blowing harshly, we continue to enjoy the outdoors. The area is beautiful and the people friendly and helpful.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:50 AM

4,079 posts, read 7,321,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin2882 View Post
Im coming from Minneapolis, MN, where I think we have the coldest longest winter possible in the United States (most cities in Alaska included). It seems from what you are saying though, that Albany is about as bad, which scares me a bit (Im considering a move there, in part because the weather must be more mild!). We have days that don't touch 0F, definitely, but not usually more than a week of that, as the previous poster said of Albany. Eeesh. When does spring come? sooner at least?
We are about an hour north of Albany and do not consider the winters harsh compared to other areas of the US. This year April was a beautiful month while areas south (NJ, MD, DC) had a lot of rain. In May there are a few nights we might get some frost but the days are gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area