Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:07 PM

841 posts, read 1,911,590 times

Advertisements

Does Austin have JOBS?
Unless you work for the state, Albany has very little.
Healthcare if you are nurse.
Probably good if you are in education.

Otherwise it's so depressed here. The job market is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:19 PM

92,004 posts, read 122,107,559 times
G
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Does Austin have JOBS?

It depends on the person's skills and education. Some industries are better than others though. What kind of job are you looking for?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-19-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM

1,762 posts, read 3,208,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, it is the 4th oldest city in the US, but having character isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, the Albany area averages the same amount of snow as the Denver area and that doesn't seem to derail that area. Snowfall - Average Total In Inches It may be adjusted, but gives an idea of how much a metro gets. It can be used to the area's advantage too. It isn't like Texas summers are mild either.
Albany and Denver may average the same amount of snow, but snow hangs around all winter in Albany (the past winter was quite mild, as noted) . In Denver, it's not uncommon to have 50 degree weather the day after a snowstorm, plus most days are sunny, so the snow melts quickly. Albany stays dreary and cold all winter, and the snow stays on the ground.
Two winters ago I drove up from LI, where it was about 25 degrees at 2pm , to metro Albany, where it was 5 below at 5 pm. When I got out of my car the cold hits you - you know where. I had forgotten how horribly cold it gets in Albany.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Albany and Denver may average the same amount of snow, but snow hangs around all winter in Albany (the past winter was quite mild, as noted) . In Denver, it's not uncommon to have 50 degree weather the day after a snowstorm, plus most days are sunny, so the snow melts quickly. Albany stays dreary and cold all winter, and the snow stays on the ground.
Two winters ago I drove up from LI, where it was about 25 degrees at 2pm , to metro Albany, where it was 5 below at 5 pm. When I got out of my car the cold hits you - you know where. I had forgotten how horribly cold it gets in Albany.
Keep in mind that the winter 2 years ago was harsh and above average even by Upstate standards. Yes, the snow stays around, but people up here know how to handle it too. You see what happens to many other cities when they just get a snowflake. Denver's snowfall actually starts earlier too. Having snow may actually be a good thing for tourism in regards to skiers and winter sports enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM

841 posts, read 1,911,590 times
I lived in Vermont for 3 years. After awhile you just adjust to the snow and cold or just leave.

I knew before we got here nothing could be as bad a Vermont/NH in winter here in Albany. Fortunately we had a very, very mild winter. Didn't even need the snow tires.

But next year it could be horrible.

I really hate extreme hot and extreme cold as I am getting older.

It's one of the negatives of living in the North (a chance of bad winter).

Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I lived in Vermont for 3 years. After awhile you just adjust to the snow and cold or just leave.

I knew before we got here nothing could be as bad a Vermont/NH in winter here in Albany. Fortunately we had a very, very mild winter. Didn't even need the snow tires.

But next year it could be horrible.

I really hate extreme hot and extreme cold as I am getting older.

It's one of the negatives of living in the North (a chance of bad winter).
Then, you may not like Southern summers either. Perhaps California or the Rocky Mountain region may work for you.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM

861 posts, read 1,142,503 times
I'm back again. This past summer in Austin we had over 90 days where the high temperature was triple digits and the lows were in the upper 70s. Posters on the Austin forum will tell you that there are still many things you can do in weather like that. IMO, I think they are deranged. I grew up in Minnesota and played outdoor hockey in -79 degree wind chill weather. Now that's pretty extreme, but I would prefer that to dying of heat stroke. You can dress for extreme cold (especially now with modern fabrics - we just wore extra sweatshirts when I was young), but there isn't much you can do about high heat except drink water. On a nice, sunny summer day, I can think of better things to drink than just water, but you can't do that in extreme heat. I'm looking forward to snowshoeing, ice fishing, X-C skiing when I retire and head north.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
JLO

86 posts, read 212,120 times
Albany is by no means Austin. Granted, they are both state capitols.They both begin with the letter "A." But Albany is not Austin. I was born in Albany and lived in Austin for 3 years. I liked Austin. In Austin, they try too hard to be different. In Albany, they don't try hard enough. The summers are brutal in Austin, but better than Dallas. At least there's a breeze. The winters are harsh in Albany, but no harsher than a summer in Austin in the triple digits. In terms of jobs and growth, Austin is growing. I am moving back to Albany from Texas for my husband's job. It's a great opportunity. Otherwise, I'd stay in Texas. The tax rates are crazy in NY. The people are crazy in Austin (and they pride themselves on that.) I moved from a rural town outside Albany to NYC when I was 16 years old to attend NYU for a summer. I love Greenwich Village. It's the real deal. Austin, well, they try to hard. Now, middle aged, I like my sons growing up Texan. However, I'm proud to be a NY'er. When I tell them I'm from NY here in Texas, it automatically gains respect. Afterall, if you can make it there you can make it anywhere. I made it there ... and then I moved to Texas. Now I'm moving back to NY. My friends are here. My family is here. But my heart will always be in Texas. However, the droughts are scary, but the people are awesome. The homes in Texas are beyond compare. All in, I'd stay in Texas ... assuming it doesn't dry up and blow away. New York ... well, it's not going anywhere. And if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere, right. I guess it's time to make it there all over again. Or, at least make the best of it.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,505,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Albany is interesting, and relatively cheap by NY standards, but quite old by American standards. Just keep this in mind...
Not old. Established, distinguished, and educated because of the amount of time there have ben people here. Lots of history here. Don't knock it!

Quote:
Does Austin have JOBS?

Wrong on all accounts! The Capitol Region has much more than governmental jobs. There's plenty in education - public, private, and secondary schools, medical field, insurance, the tech sector including the nanotech industry and IT, and there are plenty of small businesses around.

The area had a significantly lower unemployment rate than the state and the whole country for quite some time during this recession. That says quite the opposite of your post.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,505,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I'm back again. This past summer in Austin we had over 90 days where the high temperature was triple digits and the lows were in the upper 70s. Posters on the Austin forum will tell you that there are still many things you can do in weather like that. IMO, I think they are deranged.
I now live in SC and our weather isn't quite as bad, but I have no understanding of how a single person lived here without air conditioning. I'm pretty sure I would have dropped dead by the time I was 3! Not even sure I would have made it that long.

People here say there's plenty to do in the summer....like what? Dying from heat stroke? Which does actually happen here. I agree they're deranged. Can't wait to move back Upstate Ny myself.....can't happen soon enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area