Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New York: Albany, relocating, job market, apartment, rental.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:05 PM

14 posts, read 68,555 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to the Capitol Region. My wife and kids will go first and I will eventually go as soon as I land a job. I plan to continue working here at NYC and will do the weekly – weekend commute until then. We know that the change will be a major adjustment (especially for the kids and self) but we are willing to make this change for the better. Can you please share your relocating experience?

Thank you,
Nahte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 AM

Question Anyone

I know there’s got to be some folks on this board who relocated up north? Please share your experience?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,392 times
Default just my experience

I relocated from NC last year. In spite of my knowledge of this area I tried several years in a row to land the right job and/or housing before I came, to make the transition as smooth as possible. I ended up coming back the same way I went to NC and that is to just find a cheap place to rent then make it my full time job to land a job. I confess, I went down as a single young man and came back with a wife and child. Certainly tougher this time around. I found that unless you have a big-time job whereby a company will either pay to move you or will consider apps from distant places, it is the general rule of thumb that you must show that you live locally and are ready to start working. For my earning power and status in life, no one wanted to hire me when they saw that I still had commitments somewhere else. NYC is closer than NC but it may be the same thing. This area is spread out but is still a bit small town attitude and politics when it comes to newcomers. I think it would help to find at least one key person you know from here and start networking the heck out if them. networking is the only way I have ever succeeded.
It also helps to find a church or social group of some kind and show that you are interested in not only making a living but desire to become involved in things. We have done that in the past but are at a disadvantage because we have been slow this time to show involvement yet in anything other than my work. We have been encouraged to become involved in a couple things but have so far declined and are causing disappointments
One other thing is that if you don’t know much about the area, spend the whole weekends riding around with the family and see what all there is to do here and where everything is. There are some wonderful things and it could pump you up and give some added motivation and direction.
If you wanted to share some specific needs or questions, I would love to help.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM

155 posts, read 849,607 times
I remember the day like it was yesterday. My wife & I and our new son lived in Westchester and we both worked in NYC. The day came when my wife had to go back to work full time and leave my son w/ a nanny. My son was normally pretty good about us leaving and the nanny would walk him in his stroller for a bit so he could wave goodbye to us as we boarded the train--but on this particular day he was devastated, and the nanny had to literally pull him away from my wife on the street corner so she could make her train to get into the city.

I got to work that day and began searching the NYS govt websites and applied for a job w/State Ed and a few other offices in Albany. I hadn't given a day's thought to moving before that day and I think I applied to simply figure out a way to deal with what just happened that morning. Well sure enough I got a call w/in a couple weeks to come up and interview for a job in Albany. I hadn't even told my wife I'd applied and when I told her about the interview we both kind of laughed and then one thing led to another and I was up in Albany 1 day interviewing and I was offered the job.

We went back & forth on deciding to actually make this leap and sure enough before we knew it we were meeting w/Realtors, the house was on the market and I was commuting from Albany on weekends (stayed at my parents upstate during the week) until we were able to sell the house and find one up here. This period was difficult on my son, but in the end it was an excellent choice. We've been up here for a few years and things are much easier- commuting, open spaces, slower pace, less expensive, and the most important thing is that we spend every day w/my son. We don't get home just as he is going to bed. We can actually afford to have him participate in golf, soccer, swimming, skiing, baseball clubs, montessori school- everything imaginable that would cost a fortune downstate.

Do we miss the culture downstate? Absolutely. We were at the Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens or a Yankee game w/in 20 minutes. I miss cool bars and restaurants, etc. But as we all know on these forums, we have to make choices and sacrifices to make our families' lives better. NYC was simply asking for too many sacrifices to make my family's life better- up here, not so.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Averagenyjoe & rug city

Thank both for sharing your experiences and opinions with me.

My Family and I have been to the Albany area quite of few times and really enjoy what the area has to offer, from the Adirondack region, to Lake George and Saratoga to name a few. It seems to be the perfect place for all of us. The change of seasons is wonderful. Winter can be harsh, but we don’t mind the cold as we are a very active family and love winter activities.

The hardest part of this move is not being able to see my children on a daily basis as I do now. My son does not like the idea of seeing me only on the weekends. I reassured him that it’s only until I am able find employment. He is excited about moving though.

I know from my heart that this move will be the best change for all of us.

Regards,
Nahte

Old 08-30-2007, 07:10 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,392 times
Very best wishes for your family. I just remembered, the place I found my job was on capitalareahelpwanted.com They break it down by local towns and by desired fields. There is every type of jobs listed from entry level anything to upper end management. Geared just for the Capital region. Your kids will just love the area.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 AM

203 posts, read 852,640 times
The local paper....The Times Union...sponsors pretty decent job fairs about once every 6 weeks or so...usually at the Marriott. You can check online for the next one coming up....jobstu.com.

From a different perspective...when we moved up to Albany I didn't have a job...but I'm in healthcare and knew that it wouldn't be hard to find one. I paid the first 3 months rent up front on an apartment and then spent the first month looking for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area