U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,567 times

Advertisements

Right now we live outside Albany but only landed here because of a relocation for work.

The shopping is pretty good here but that is basically it. It's a typical suburb with nothing going for it. I don't go into Albany very often because I think its dangerous. A few times at night I have really felt very uncomfortable.

That's just me. I am from the suburbs of NYC so I never spent a lot of time in a city with a lot of persons of color. I am not a burbs person either. I would like a little of each if I could get it.

I've done rural, too, and hate that. I don't want to drive 20 minutes to buy a loaf of bread.

Anyhow---

We have been looking into Glens Falls and Queensbury. Glens Falls isn't ideal but has a good library and seems like it has a cool vibe. There is a women's medical center and it has its own hospital, unlike the 'burbs of Albany. It may be seedy at night but I spend my nights at home, not partying anyhow.

We also liked Queensbury for its abundant shopping and closeness to Glens Falls. I have seen that the crime seems high in Queensbury but I have no idea why (bestplaces.net rates the crime 5 out of 10).

Does anyone know anything about the schools in either place? I am specifically concerned about the high schools. Also about the crime...

And what is this I read about people being 'snobby' there? (lots of people from Long Island, NY?

My number one priority, apart from getting jobs to support us, is the school system for my teenager.

Please, if you are from the area, let me know the real story. Thanks for your replies to this post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,896 posts, read 37,877,669 times
I'm assuming that the crime rate for Queensbury is skewed due to having the area shopping mall and much of the shopping in the area. So, it could be shoplifting that makes the rate seem relatively high. Queensbury seems to be the best bet in terms of what you are looking for.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,567 times
Thanks for your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area