Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM

334 posts, read 851,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
I find a bigger problem here the amount of people who SMOKE cigarettes. It's a culture shock to see people from 13-up to elderly constantly puffing away. It's like they never heard most of NYS health educated population has given up cigarettes.

You should be more concerned your kids pick up this habit if you move to the area. People don't blink when Mom is out carrying her baby on her shoulder while puffing away on her ciggies. That was something I have not seen since 1987 when my eldest nephew was a baby!
I think this is more common in the rural areas in the Capital District. I don't see much smoking at all in the wealthier suburbs, like Bethlehem and Niskayuna. (Unfortunately, one of my fellow PTA members who is also a parole officer says that those richer towns are the ones where students are much more likely to use illegal drugs, especially at a young age.) I live in Albany and don't see it much. There certainly aren't any school designated smoking areas like their were in my Boston-area high school back in the good old days!

Smoking is banned in all public buildings, including bars (is this statewide, or just Albany County?), and many people from other parts of the country think we have it "out for smokers," so I guess it all depends on what you are used to.

People here have more of a live-and-let-live attitude than in bigger northeast cities like Boston or NYC, which also may be part of the reason MarysPoppins is surprised that people don't show more outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 PM

370 posts, read 1,365,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
Smoking is banned in all public buildings, including bars (is this statewide, or just Albany County?), and many people from other parts of the country think we have it "out for smokers," so I guess it all depends on what you are used to.

People here have more of a live-and-let-live attitude than in bigger northeast cities like Boston or NYC, which also may be part of the reason MarysPoppins is surprised that people don't show more outrage.
Thanks for your angle. I try to live and let live but I find smoking very sickening. It causes me to get migraines.

Unfortunately there are as many rabid smokers as anti-smokers and they feel THEIR right to smoke is more protected than our right not to smoke. I don't know what to say in that respect....no one is more important in the law.

Anyhow, OP, let's carry on and not make this about smoking.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 AM

68 posts, read 120,079 times
We live outside of Saratoga Springs and it's maybe 30 minutes to Lake George going up 9n through Corinth. LG is ok in the summer I guess- it's not a big draw for us- too much of a carnival atmosphere for us. In the winter it pretty much closes up. My aunt lives there and she gets a bit of cabin fever during the late fall-winter months.

I actually like Bolton and Bolton Landing. There are a couple of nice little restaurants and shops along the main street. It's very quaint.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area