U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 AM

70 posts, read 307,050 times
Default ALbany "bad" neighborhoods

Please explain to me why these "bad" neighborhoods in albany are so "bad".
I'm just unsure of the reasons for it described as such. Or why people are saying "stay out of Arbor Hill". I am thinking of relocating to Albany from Ridgewood, Queens (on the border of Bushwick, Brooklyn). My husband and I are looking for a somewhat cultured city with nightlife, parks, and the ability to walk everywhere (work, grocery, gym). We are not lookig for any cookie cutter "perfect"neighborhood. Keep in mind...we live in a "bad" neighborhood, the thing is I feel safe walking around at night. My husband and I are both caucasion, but we feel very embraced in the neighborhood we live in, even though it is mostly mixed cultures. Yeah, there are the guys who sit on the stoop all the day, and you know they have to be selling drugs; but we feel safe with them there. We have been here for 2 years and have not had one bad experience. Does anyone know how the neighborhoods in Albany compare? We are looking for a 2 family home in the $150,000 range. Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by gdowler; 09-26-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 02:33 PM

18 posts, read 66,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Wrong forum but do your research. More of Albany is considered high crime/high poverty neighborhoods compared to NYC. You don't want to end up back on the Bushwick border, Ridgewood Queens. Only in a different city.

For 150k you could probably live in a decent neighborhood up in Albany.
Considering the vast areas of poverty in NYC I don't see how you can make this statement. I went to school in Albany and lived in lower Arbor Hill (the so-called bad neighborhood) and it was fine. Yes, there are pockets of bad areas in Albany but overall it is not a crime-ridden city. In fact, there has only been one homicide in all of 2007 so far.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 41,164 times
Default Albany Neighborhoods

I think the area you're going to want to be in is what's called Center Square. Arbor hill, although being revitalized in sections is a very low income neighborhood as is the south end.

Center Square is more of what you're describing.

Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-10-2007 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-28-2007, 02:40 PM

1,536 posts, read 19,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie_fresh View Post
Considering the vast areas of poverty in NYC I don't see how you can make this statement. I went to school in Albany and lived in lower Arbor Hill (the so-called bad neighborhood) and it was fine. Yes, there are pockets of bad areas in Albany but overall it is not a crime-ridden city. In fact, there has only been one homicide in all of 2007 so far.
You are correct, my mistake. For some reason I was thinking Rochester, NY.

However dougie fresh is right.

But yes, you do want to research becuase you do not want to end up in the highest crime section of Albany. Which is no better or worse then the highest crime area anywhere else.

If possible a mod can delete my first post on this thread.

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-28-2007 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-28-2007, 02:43 PM

201 posts, read 919,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie_fresh View Post
One Homocide!
Are you serious?
Theres already been 2 in my NEIGHBORHOOD alone this year and where I live isn't considered bad at all for Charlotte.

Sounds like there ghettos are pretty dang nice.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM

3,235 posts, read 4,768,460 times
Quote:
You are correct, my mistake. For some reason I was thinking Rochester, NY.

However dougie fresh is right.

But yes, you do want to research becuase you do not want to end up in the highest crime section of Albany. Which is no better or worse then the highest crime area anywhere else.

If possible a mod can delete my first post on this thread.

Rochester is fine too. It has its pockets of bad neighborhoods just like any other city but its not a crime ridden city overall. Just stay away from a handful of neighborhoods and you are fine. Any city any person moves to will have its bad and good areas.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:34 PM

1,536 posts, read 19,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
One Homocide!
Are you serious?
Theres already been 2 in my NEIGHBORHOOD alone this year and where I live isn't considered bad at all for Charlotte.

Sounds like there ghettos are pretty dang nice.
The ghetto part of Albany Rochester is pretty small compared to other cities. however homicides are not what someone should not be most concerned about. Avoid disputes and most people won't have a reason to kill you. The biggest violent threat is robbery and random assualts. Both of those can lead to homicide or injury and are very common in the worst areas of Albany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Rochester is fine too. It has its pockets of bad neighborhoods just like any other city but its not a crime ridden city overall. Just stay away from a handful of neighborhoods and you are fine. Any city any person moves to will have its bad and good areas.
Rochester has more high crime pockets then cities with lower crime rates. A higher percentage of the city population has crime.

It terms of percentages, more of Rochester's population lives in High Crime areas then NYC for example.

There are good places to live, but you have less options then NYC or Albany.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:14 PM

90 posts, read 448,173 times
If you take a look at people who are victims of crime in Albany's bad areas they tend to fit into certain obvious categories such as people involved in the drug trade/users, people involved in domestic disputes/abusive relationships, general societal /poverty issues that seem to draw neighborhood people into the criminal element. If you are someone from outside that community and traverse it during the daytime etc...you are probably going to be fine.

People around Albany have no conception of what a real hard core ghetto (high crime area) is like. They think Arbor Hill and the South End are so bad. Well they aren't my idea of a nice area by any means, but it just pales compared to some bigger cities...try the north end of Philly sometime or East New York Brooklyn, etc. Albany has small enclaves that qualify as high crime areas...

The person from Queens should check out Albany in person. I go to the courthouse in Jamaica, Queens semi regularly for business reasons and I see areas off Jamaica Blvd etc. that dwarf all of the bad areas in Albany put together.

Last edited by Logan11; 09-28-2007 at 06:24 PM..

Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,768,460 times
Quote:
The ghetto part of Albany Rochester is pretty small compared to other cities. however homicides are not what someone should not be most concerned about. Avoid disputes and most people won't have a reason to kill you. The biggest violent threat is robbery and random assualts. Both of those can lead to homicide or injury and are very common in the worst areas of Albany.

Rochester has more high crime pockets then cities with lower crime rates. A higher percentage of the city population has crime.

It terms of percentages, more of Rochester's population lives in High Crime areas then NYC for example.

There are good places to live, but you have less options then NYC or Albany.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Albany is a much much smaller city than Roch and NYC is a much much larger city than Roch. There are plenty of options for safe neighborhoods in Roch. The bad neighborhoods are limited to a couple pockets in the Northeast part, couple in the Northwest part and a couple in the Southwest area. Most of the city is fine. It has higher crime rates than NYC but that doesn't make it a warzone. Most of the city is fine.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:24 AM

897 posts, read 1,562,579 times
Rochester has a high crime rate in the north side of the city but the south side is not as bad. The area called arbor hill is about 2 to 3 miles away from Loudonville(12211) which is one of the wealthier neighborhood/ towns in Albany. Arbor hill probably has majority of the crime in Albany but the murder rate is not as bad a mid size city. I think second ave area (Delaware ave) and central ave near lark st were a little rough but it is not scary.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area