Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM

841 posts, read 1,916,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
I grew up in Albany. Since living there, my husband (originally from Texas, but raised in Colorado), my children, and I have lived in North Carolina, California, and now Virginia. Say what you want about Albany's dismal winters (and they are dismal), but, as far as I'm concerned, you can't beat the quality of its people.
Quality of people in ALBANY?
Maybe if you grew up here you mean your friends and family.

For the outsider, the area has little to offer and zero culture outside the local library.

People are NOT friendly. That's my (outsider) perception. My son belongs to a special ed. group and some of the parents are nice but many, many people here seem socially awkward themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally29 View Post
I also think you get what you give, we made an effort to be friendly and this was reciprocated. At some point one needs to look within, at their own behavior and attitude, rather than blaming it all on the enviornment/town/city/state.
Ding, ding, ding. I think we have a winner!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM

368 posts, read 995,575 times
Quote:
...I also think you get what you give, we made an effort to be friendly and this was reciprocated. At some point one needs to look within, at their own behavior and attitude, rather than blaming it all on the enviornment/town/city/state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
Ding, ding, ding. I think we have a winner!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM

Wrong, Sally and Artist. Thanks for jumping the gun here and ASSuming it must be me not wanting to fit in.

Now I am going to explain to you I moved here May 2011. I started a group within a month for homeschoolers. I also joined the local library AND tried to volunteer there.

I could have been a great asset and offered free teaching to people who needed ESL. I was rebuffed and my volunteering was not accepted.

So I decided not to bother. Both my husband and me were always looking to volunteer but no one seemed interested.

My former roommate in college is only 20 minutes away and only came over one time and after that disappeared. I was a gracious hostess and entertained her and she kept saying, I will have you over but I never heard from her again.

We tried to integrate here from day one. Most people seem to just keep to themselves or cocoon with family.

When you try to get along, and see no one is interested, when you work a job and do your best (which would be accepted everywhere else) and they fire you, well, it can taint your opinion. And when you see your husband destroyed from unemployment, that can make you soured on a place.

Last edited by chef.sunny22; 10-04-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I have lived in other states and have found my neighbors in Saratoga Springs to be the friendliest ever. I also think you get what you give, we made an effort to be friendly and this was reciprocated. At some point one needs to look within, at their own behavior and attitude, rather than blaming it all on the enviornment/town/city/state.
Saratoga Springs is actually quite nice. That is not Albany.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 19,295 times
Default Sunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Saratoga Springs is actually quite nice. That is not Albany.
I love it. Sorry for your bad experience Chef Sunny, but the previous posters are right, your negative attitude comes through in your posts and I'm sure the rest of the world gets to see it in person. But don't worry...it must be them...couldn't be you. I live in Albany and we have regular block parties on my street and neighbors help each other with all manner of things (shoveling, raking etc). Making rash generalizations about a group of people will not help your husband find a job any faster and will not make your life any better.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM

334 posts, read 851,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
For the outsider, the area has little to offer and zero culture outside the local library.
I am happy living in Albany, but can understand many of the complaints (e.g. no walkable neighborhoods, abandoned buildings, sprawl, not near ocean). However, the claim of no culture is always baffling to me. I constantly find myself having to choose between many events. Is it because we live in the shadow of NYC, which we can never hope to even touch, that people feel we have no culture? Or maybe because the region is so dispersed with 4 cities rather than one concentrated arts district?

I get flyers and Facebook posts and notices about all sorts of events going on - The Egg, The Palace, Proctors, Hudson Valley Community College, The Sage Colleges, The College of Saint Rose (have you visited any exhibits or heard any concerts in their beautiful new arts building that was built a couple of years ago??), Albany Civic Theater, Cohoes Music Hall, Schenectady Light Opera, the bicycle coalition, University at Albany, fabulous free lectures at Siena College, 1st Friday, Troy Night Out, Amateur Astronomers Club, Five Rivers Nature Center, Emma Treadwell Nature Center, special showings of movies with producers/writers/actors at the Spectrum, Historic Albany Walking Tours, NYS Writers Institute (which also has a great film series and FREE!). . . . I could go on and on.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 AM

Okay guys, I guess we will agree to disagree. My experiences have been particularly negative because of unemployment and my spouse is incredibly unhappy here. I also have a disabled son so I can't just get up and enjoy things that may be out there.

We did many things as a family and were willing to stay here but once my husband lost his job and has been unable to get another, it all really went sour.

Soon this will be just another place I've lived in and with God's help we'll find a place we feel happier and more secure in.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 AM

150 posts, read 300,468 times
I wish you and your family all the best. It sounds really hard for all of you right now and I hope that your next move will bring you prosperity and happiness.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM

255 posts, read 487,735 times
Hey sarchivist, albany's got walkable neighborhoods

But yeah, I agree. For a city it's size (100,000) albany has PLENTY of cultural offerings to choose from, just by counting the egg, the palace and the TU center. I would also add sporting events to your list so, siena basketball, the valleycats and the albany devils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area