Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 PM

156 posts, read 296,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
Well, I am a 24 young professional so I think I'll weigh in on this

- Both cities are older, northeastern cities so you get that type of similar architechure/feel but I'd say Albany is not nearly as run-down and abandoned as the 'burgh. Most parts of Albany are not run-down.

: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en
Apparently, you haven't been to Pittsburgh lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM

I suspect you haven't been in downtown Pittsburgh for some time. Market Square is bustling in the evening; etc.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 AM

20 posts, read 42,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloride1 View Post
I suspect you haven't been in downtown Pittsburgh for some time. Market Square is bustling in the evening; etc.
Who would put themselves through that??? Market Square has two restaurants that are open past 5, and looks busy compared to the rest of downtown, which is dead/muerto/ 죽은 (that's Korean for "dead") that hour. Oh, that's IF you can get downtown: Port Authority is about to cut 30% of their already limited routes in about three weeks, parking downtown sucks-- and that's IF your car survives all of the half-a$$ed construction from PennDOT. I can't tell you how many times the Parkway East has ruined my day.

Just to clear this up before anymore angry Yinzers get their Roethlisberger jerseys in a bunch because someone MAY not think Pittsburgh is the greatest place on earth: This wasn't a contest or a diss. The two sounded similar and in some ways they are, good and bad..

Last edited by MrDuBois; 08-14-2012 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM

299 posts, read 1,009,191 times
I'm originally from Pittsburgh (moved from the city in 2008) and have been living in Albany since early 2011.

I love Pittsburgh. I respect that there are people out there who look for certain things in the places they live and may not be able to find them in Pittsburgh. But the cultural industry in Pittsburgh is on fire right now, outdoor recreation (both within the city area and within an hour or 2 drive) is plentiful, the city has a fantastic sense of history, which it loves and celebrates, and if you have the right attitude yourself, you can find plenty of young professionals who love Pittsburgh and are social and want to get out and explore, too.

I really believe that attitude is everything. But, I found that I had to put that belief to the test in Albany, because it's by far my least favorite place I've ever lived. I really had to remind myself of the "if you're bored then you're boring" mantra. I won't be disappointed when it's time to move on from Albany.

Given, I've never actually been to Schenectady, so your experience may be different.

My favorite thing about Albany is how close it is to some truly amazing outdoor experiences in the Adirondacks, Berkshires, Catskills, etc. But that's not actually Albany.

I don't hate Albany - there are plenty of things I like. But I haven't been able to make that connection or develop that sense of "home" that I've been able to in my 3 prior city residences.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDuBois View Post
Who would put themselves through that??? Market Square has two restaurants that are open past 5, and looks busy compared to the rest of downtown, which is dead/muerto/ 죽은 (that's Korean for "dead") that hour. Oh, that's IF you can get downtown: Port Authority is about to cut 30% of their already limited routes in about three weeks, parking downtown sucks-- and that's IF your car survives all of the half-a$$ed construction from PennDOT. I can't tell you how many times the Parkway East has ruined my day.

Just to clear this up before anymore angry Yinzers get their Roethlisberger jerseys in a bunch because someone MAY not think Pittsburgh is the greatest place on earth: This wasn't a contest or a diss. The two sounded similar and in some ways they are, good and bad..
That is absolutely not true of Market Square. It was renovated over the past couple years, and *many* new restaurants/coffee shops/etc. have moved in. I go through downtown every work day; Market Square is bustling. Etc. As I said, you haven't been downtown lately. Or perhaps you mistook construction of new buildings and renovations of old facades as decay.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 AM

A timely article for this thread:

Downtown destinations delight Pittsburgh visitors | TribLIVE

Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloride1 View Post
Ok. Seriously. Have you paid attention to ANYTHING else that has been discussed here? Never mind the fact that I worked and went to college downtown-spent time there AFTER the work day (not just "passing through"), its not worth going this hard when 1) the topic has shifted 2) I'm leaving Pittsburgh 3) it's irrelevant to most of the people reading.

If you can't contribute to anything Albany-related at this point, I'd appreciate a "timely" exit. Thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Ok. Seriously. Have you paid attention to ANYTHING else that has been discussed here? Never mind the fact that I worked and went to college downtown-spent time there AFTER the work day (not just "passing through"), its not worth going this hard when 1) the topic has shifted 2) I'm leaving Pittsburgh 3) it's irrelevant to most of the people reading.

If you can't contribute to anything Albany-related at this point, I'd appreciate a "timely" exit. Thanks
What you said about Pittsburgh is not true of the current Pittsburgh. The title of the thread includes "Pittsburgh".

I wish you well in your move to Albany.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM

lol....oh, the beating that you're giving to that dead horse....

ANYwho, I accomplished my goal of finding a place in Center Square!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM

255 posts, read 487,971 times
Quote:
lol....oh, the beating that you're giving to that dead horse....

ANYwho, I accomplished my goal of finding a place in Center Square!

Oh yeah? What street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area