Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 PM

20 posts, read 42,421 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm a 25-year-old young professional, who's trying to trying to get out of Pittsburgh for good! I received a job offer in Albany, and was given the weekend to think it over. I'm not familiar with the area at all.

--I mixed it up with Buffalo in the interview...thankfully, my work was impressive enough to overshadow that blunder --

I've spent the day looking up what I could about the city and now I'm terrified, because I saw a lot of things that sound similar to Pittsburgh. A few of them being:

-young professionals are miserable, and can't wait to leave.
-constantly gloomy weather
- some/most parts are very run-down.

Would I be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire by making this move?

Last edited by MrDuBois; 08-03-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:47 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Lol those facts are pretty true. What type of job did you get? Salary/hourly?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
I've never been to Pittsburgh before, but I'd have to say that those facts are inaccurate. One of my friends just got a job in Albany as well and she's super excited about moving out there (she's 25). My sister lives in Troy (she's 29), which is just over the river from Albany, so I go out there frequently. As for Albany, I don't ever think I've met a person out there that's "miserable" and can't wait to leave. My sister's boyfriend's entire family is in the Capital Region and they love it there. She graduates next year with her degree and I know they want to try to stay in the area. Constantly gloomy weather? Hardly! It's a northeastern city so of course they get snow, but I would never describe the weather as "constantly gloomy." As with any city, sure there are bad spots. Most of the city run down? Absolutely not.

I'm actually helping my friend that's moving find an apartment out there. She really likes the Center Square area, which is known for good dining, entertainment, etc options. Plus there's a big park right there as well.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 AM

150 posts, read 300,468 times
Below is a link which may be of help.. also the surrounding areas ( e.g. Saratoga Springs) have alot to offer.. good luck!

Living In Albany & The Capital District of New York - Tech Valley, Education, Culture & Recreation On The Community's Official Guide To Albany NY

Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 AM

@ja1myn I'm in the communications field. i'm still working the salary part out with the hiring manager.

The one I'm most worried about is the misereable young people part. I know it may seem pretty subjective, but I know that Pittsburgh overall has had a problem for yearsssssss with keeping high school/college grads here, and only recently began to attempt every gimmick possible to reel them back in. Still, the population's hair color is as gray as the sky....

....the constantly gray skies....to the point a comedian visiting back in May asked on the radio, "damn, does the sun EVER shine here?!"

I digress. One positive thing I've noticed is that Albany seems to be a bit more diverse. I figured being close to somewhere like NYC would have that affect, which makes it seem more appealing.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
I say you're 25. You're lucky you have a job offer. Moving to Albany from Pitt won't kill you. Even if you stayed here for a year, I don't think you'd really hate your life.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDuBois View Post
@ja1myn I'm in the communications field. i'm still working the salary part out with the hiring manager.

The one I'm most worried about is the misereable young people part. I know it may seem pretty subjective, but I know that Pittsburgh overall has had a problem for yearsssssss with keeping high school/college grads here, and only recently began to attempt every gimmick possible to reel them back in. Still, the population's hair color is as gray as the sky....

....the constantly gray skies....to the point a comedian visiting back in May asked on the radio, "damn, does the sun EVER shine here?!"

I digress. One positive thing I've noticed is that Albany seems to be a bit more diverse. I figured being close to somewhere like NYC would have that affect, which makes it seem more appealing.
Did you not read my post at all?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:52 PM

255 posts, read 487,735 times
Well, I am a 24 young professional so I think I'll weigh in on this.

Is Albany like Pittsburgh? In some ways, yeah.

- The weather is similar, sure, although Albany has a nicer summer and a less gloomy winter than Pennsylvania I'd say.

- Both cities are older, northeastern cities so you get that type of similar architechure/feel but I'd say Albany is not nearly as run-down and abandoned as the 'burgh. Most parts of Albany are not run-down.

In general though the two cities are mostly different because of their size. Albany is smaller and more regionalized than Pittsburgh. Instead of one big city you get 3 (really 4 counting Saratoga) cities.

This makes a ton of difference in terms of stuff to do. For example, while Troy may not have a certain store or type of club your looking for, Albany does. This sometimes makes for a bit of driving but because they're not big cities, traffic is basically non-existent so you get where you're going faster.

Now where I live in Albany is Center Square, which, as someone mentioned earlier, is the hip, single, gay-friendly, artist, young professional neighborhood in Albany. This is probably where you'd like to live, I assume.
Visit this for a bit of info: Lark Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now I'm a young professional and do I want to move out of the city? Sure, I'd love to find a job in NYC and live there. But am I miserable here? No, and neither are most of the young people I know or work with.

Your question is a very hard one, it's like saying "What's the difference between Reading, Pennsylvania and Philly." Answer: A LOT.

Here's really what you should do:

read the Albany, NY Wikipedia page: Albany, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
read the Saratoga, NY Wikipedia page: Saratoga Springs, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and use Streetview on Google maps to sorta get a feel for the look of the city: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en

Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM

255 posts, read 487,735 times
Also I just discovered that Albany is a younger city than Pittsburgh, the median age of Pitt is 33.2, while the median age pf Albany is 30.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Did you not read my post at all?
Yes, I did. With all due respect, I didn't see a solid argument.

Quote:
One of my friends just got a job in Albany as well and she's super excited about moving out there (she's 25). My sister lives in Troy (she's 29), which is just over the river from Albany, so I go out there frequently.
-your friend isn't there yet (most people are excited before they move), And your sister lives in the next town over from where I'm talking about.

Quote:
As for Albany, I don't ever think I've met a person out there that's "miserable" and can't wait to leave. My sister's boyfriend's entire family is in the Capital Region and they love it there.
-His family may like it, but I'm asking about a more age-specific group. Families love Pittsburgh, too--if I had kids, this would be a great place, but I haven't reached that point in life yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area