U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 AM

3,235 posts, read 5,154,492 times

Advertisements

Empty tables, but why? - Times Union

I am in town working currently and have been to Albany many times in the past for work and to visit friends. I never found downtown to be dangerous and the pepper spray incident the article cites doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.
Is this just a case of people spending their money in other parts of the city for nightlife? Or is there a danger that I'm not seeing, because I have always felt safe there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM

207 posts, read 218,389 times
Same ol', same ol'.

When you grow up in or spend a great deal of time in a particular area, you adapt and become oblivious to your surroundings no matter how bad or different they might seem to an outsider. It's why humans are on top of the heap on this planet. We adapt as required.

The other side of the coin, in this day and age of instant communication is, a solitary person can almost instantly effect many others perception of an area, which is in the eyes of the beholder.

It's what advertising is all about folks!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM

1,472 posts, read 826,162 times
Its human nature to feel unsafe in uncrowded surroundings, in my opinion. You kinda feel like prey, even if its a statistically safe area. When there are buildings around, and you are pretty much alone walking down the street, you just feel vulnerable. I feel that way when I go camping too- every sound I hear in the woods I think is either a bear or a psychopath, when its probably a squirrel or a deer. Statistically speaking, of course, the woods are extremely safe.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 PM

319 posts, read 396,949 times
I don't feel unsafe there. The story behind this story in the newspaper is that a couple of bars/nightlife places are closing due to lack of business. I went to one of the places occasionally, and I definitely felt that the service took a nose dive in recent years. I used to have a lot of fun there, and in recent years the servers were surly and the place much less crowded. For instance - a few months ago we were the only patrons in the room we were in, but the server sighed and acted like it was the biggest chore in the world when we asked him to change one of the TVs to a particular sporting event we were interested in.

I'm not usually downtown after about midnight, so I can't say for sure there isn't something to this story, but a lot of it may be sour grapes.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 PM

200 posts, read 156,791 times
I'm fine with this, the article has it right. More people are living downtown and these patrons perfer a more subdued bar, like the bars on Lark Street.

Also the Pearl street bars are losing business to Biergarten, Stout, Barrel Saloon and Old English.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM

263 posts, read 325,060 times
Times change, I thought the people that owned that downtown place owned Wolff 111 now, not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area