Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:52 AM

8 posts, read 42,878 times

Advertisements

We are a retiring military family looking to relocate to the Capitol region, possibly near some sort of military installation. We will have high school aged daughters who are used to diverse US schools (in the Fairfax County VA area) as well as private international schools. We would like the "small town feel" (don't we all) but with cultural attractions of a larger city (theatre and music specifically). Scotia seems to be at the top of the list but will it be "too small?" Would living closer to Albany be better or is Scotia close enough to go for shows/entertainment/dining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM

59 posts, read 226,225 times
Not sure how far Scotia is from albany. Sounds interesting we would like possibly to be 30 mins from Albany as well, My cousins and aunt live in Niscayuna (sp?) and are very artsy making music and plays. It seemed kind of small town driving thru there but the neighborhood was nice, nice homes close to an acre each on their block. My mom was from Schedy and told me to stay away some crime? Albany is a cool city, we stayed there it was a beautiful "ghost town" 3am at night, very different then NYC, and clean, but was hopping at 7 am

Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 21,810 times
Default Moving to Capital District, NY

I live in downtown Albany near Lark Street-nice restaurants and some art galleries. Area is surrounded by pockets of poverty and some street crime. Pine Hills area is near several colleges and therefore near their cultural activiites: less poverty, nice homes, lots of student housing (absentee landlords). But there are other neighborhoods that are upscale, and safe. School system is struggling: high dropout rate, violence, low test scores.

Troy is up-and-coming. Beautiful historic districts, riverfront (Hudson River), Troy Music Hall is reknowned, RPI holds a leading role in the community and in the area's technology corridor. Schools aren't great.

Schenectady has some wonderful old homes, particularly those that were built for GE employees (many years ago). Downtown reinvestment is working. Theater is attracting Broadway road shows. Schools aren't great.

Scotia, Niskayuna, Voorhesville, Guilderland are suburbs (although Scotia has an older base). Delmar is a great small town atmosphere, good schools.

The coveted area to live is Saratoga Springs. Has two race courses, a performing arts center, Museum of Dance, Skidmore and Empire State Colleges, and a naval/atomic energy facility. Becoming VERY expensive. Good schools.

There's lots of other communities within the Capital District and some have excellent school systems, and there's lots of activities. You'll also be within 3-hours of Montreal, Boston or NYC.

Good luck.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 AM

8 posts, read 42,878 times
Default moving to capitol district

Thanks for all the great info! I was particularly interested in the comments by skyblupink about cousins in Niskayuna making music and plays. That's right up my daughter's alley. How is the housing situation there? I like older homes with some land/larger lots. Is there somewhat of a military community in the general area? I'm really beginning to think that this may be the area for us.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:16 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aallwine View Post
Thanks for all the great info! I was particularly interested in the comments by skyblupink about cousins in Niskayuna making music and plays. That's right up my daughter's alley. How is the housing situation there? I like older homes with some land/larger lots. Is there somewhat of a military community in the general area? I'm really beginning to think that this may be the area for us.
I don't think you're going to find much of a "military community" in the capital region. There are a couple of small facilities (Scotia, Watervliet Arsenal) but they are pretty small and only employ a handful of active duty types, the majority are civilian civil service. The biggest true military posts would be Ft Drum (about 3+ hours away in the middle of nowhere) and West Point (about an hour and a half south of Albany).

Otherwise, the Albany region is quite nice and I'm sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:19 PM

18 posts, read 74,850 times
As noted above, Delmar/Bethlehem is a great small town sort of place, but right next to Albany and easy to get in and out. For a not-large city, despite the Smallbany jokes, we never have a problem finding something to do. This weekend we saw Steven Wright at the Egg (on the plaza downtown), the Blue Main Group is coming next month...as are John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen, and Martina McBride plays here every year. We saw Shawn Colvin in Schenectady last month.

We live in Waterford, next to Halfmoon just over the bridge into Saratoga County, so we can get into town in about 20 minutes. VERY easy to get around.

Saratoga County is great. You might also think about Ballston Spa, a wonderful village feel right next to Saratoga Springs.

We moved here two years ago after Dutchess County became completely overrun by NYC and we've never regretted it for one moment.

It's hardly a military town, as noted, but it does have a "twenty year ago" feel as far as hospitality and community go, however. A fair trade.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,190 times
Default Similar question

Hi!

Sorry, I don't have anything to add but I am also considering a move to Niscayuna for job purposes. I am from Reno, NV and I have only been on the east coast once (in New York City for a week). I'm a recent college grad looking for a nice, not-too-expensive-to-live-in place that has things to distract a 20+ year old like shopping, bookstores, movie theaters, museums. Also how's the weather?

Is Niscayuna a good place for someone in their 20's?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:12 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Had an aunt who lived in Scotia after she reitired an loved it; her daughter also bought a house there. I liked the looks -- don't know how anything else is.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:05 PM

267 posts, read 971,245 times
Default Arts

I thought I'd mention that Schenectady High School has a Art School w/in it's main school - a quote that better describes it from their site "The Sayles School of Fine Arts is a House or Small Learning Community at Schenectady High School" I've heard wonderful things about this program. They also have an International Baccaleurate program at the highschool. Currently my son is in the Art Magnet is Sch'dy. We have a lot of Art happening in Schenectady w/ Art Night every 3rd Friday night. Give it a thought. I understand it has a bad reputation, coming from growing up in Niskayuna all my life I can't believe I say this now but we really like Schenectady. Beautiful neighborhoods, you just have to know where to look. Scotia is a very cute town, just over the river. Niskayuna has a great reputation, a variety of neighborhoods from quaint - Old Niskayuna to stately homes in newer developments on several acres. I felt like Niskayuna had a great Arts Dept., I graduated and went on to art school. Good luck w/your search.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:05 PM

438 posts, read 1,508,646 times
I know this is an older thread, but I'll try to answer some questions. Scotia is a cute little town right across the Mohawk River from Schenectady. There was a naval installation there but all that is left is a Commisary and Exchange. There is a military community here near Saratoga Springs/Ballston Spa. We are a military family and know many others stationed here. As far as Scotia goes you would be close to Proctors Theater which has many plays and other events. Most of the schools here are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area