Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:35 PM

66 posts, read 119,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
It only snows about 4 months out of the year, 5 is extraordinary. And yes, the growing season is fine, otherwise why would we have all these farms?

Biggest supermarkets are Price Chopper (local) and Hannaford, though Shop Rite is moving in. Colonie has a Trader Joe's and Fresh Market, and is getting a Whole Foods soon. Lots of people probably get groceries at Walmart and Target, also.

Best time for vacation is June or July. Avoid August, it's track season, the place is crawling with degenerate gamblers. ;-)
Im a half hearted gambler lol! Would love to go to the track! What 4 months....Nov Dec Jan and Feb? Good point about the farming up there! I have to be able to grow my tomatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm thinking out side the city center as the OP wanted a rural setting.
What is the city center? Im confused when you say Queensbury is far from everything. What town has everything thats near Queensbury and how far a distance?

Last edited by Joysey77; 01-09-2013 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joysey77 View Post
Im a half hearted gambler lol! Would love to go to the track! What 4 months....Nov Dec Jan and Feb? Good point about the farming up there! I have to be able to grow my tomatoes

What is the city center? Im confused when you say Queensbury is far from everything. What town has everything thats near Queensbury and how far a distance?
The closest major metro area is Albany, although you should be able to get most everything you need in Clifton Park.

Glens Falls has a well defined city center with a community hospital and civic center.

Queensbury doesn't have a city center, it's much more rural and very spread out.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM

So I guess all depends on my taste. The whole area just seems very nice from researching all the statistics. I was happy to to see in your original links that the schools in these areas are all well rated.

Whats the difference between South Glens Falls and Glens Falls? Are they the same city or have separate zip codes?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,268 times
Quote:
So I guess all depends on my taste. The whole area just seems very nice from researching all the statistics. I was happy to to see in your original links that the schools in these areas are all well rated.

Whats the difference between South Glens Falls and Glens Falls? Are they the same city or have separate zip codes?
South Glens Falls is in Saratoga County and Glens Falls is in Warren County, they are separated by the Hudson River.

There are very rural areas in northern Saratoga County including parts of the towns of Schuylerville, Gansevoort, Northumberland, Corinth, Wilton and Greenfield.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM

Does the Hudson River flood alot? I have to ask being my neighborhood was just flooded by Sandy. Dont really want to be around any flooding

Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Does the Hudson River flood alot? I have to ask being my neighborhood was just flooded by Sandy. Dont really want to be around any flooding
As long as you aren't right near the water (like within a 1/4 mile or so) that far north it isn't typically a problem. It's not just the Hudson, there are other rivers as well as reservoirs that can overflow as well. Chances are that if it didn't flood during/after Hurricane Irene, it's possible it never will.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Is there a flooding problem in general in NY because all these rivers streams and lakes?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Is there a flooding problem in general in NY because all these rivers streams and lakes?
It depends on where you are in the state. There has been some flooding in the Southern Tier in recent years. Are you open to other parts of Upstate NY?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM

I have really researched them. I was interested mainly in Warren county.Anything above that is too far. Im trying to stay as close to Jersey as I can but find a rural area that isnt pricey. The counties next to Warren werent as appealing. It seems the counties just west of Warren have alot of pre WWII housing which I want to avoid.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
I have really researched them. I was interested mainly in Warren county.Anything above that is too far. Im trying to stay as close to Jersey as I can but find a rural area that isnt pricey. The counties next to Warren werent as appealing. It seems the counties just west of Warren have alot of pre WWII housing which I want to avoid.
I see what you are saying. You may be able to find newer housing in certain rural areas west of there, but it may be closer to a bigger city. Check MLS# 1202047 or 1203770 for a potential examples.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-10-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area