Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,690 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I live in the Ballston Spa School District. My gf lives in the Saratoga School District. She has a 10y/o in 4th grade. We're fighting about moving her into the B.Spa district or me moving into the saratoga district. She rents a place and is looking for a house or trailer, and if she gets one she'll either have to get a 2nd job or a roomate depending on what she gets. I currently own my home(it's small but i own it and pay under a 1000 a month for it) in Malta. I currently owe 142k on an acre with a big garage I went to b.spa and enjoyed it.

Can anyone help me with the pros and cons of both schools?

I want her to move because it makes most sense financially when it comes to my mortgage and cost of living. She wants to stay because she works for the school and her daughter wants to stay in the same school district. I'm looking for more opinions on the matter. I'm pulling my hair out here and need help. Everyone i talk to says im in the right and being smarter about it, but she's not really caring at all on the matter.

Last edited by Rogner2000; 01-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Added infor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 PM

150 posts, read 300,647 times
Sounds like a messy situation.. hope you are able to work it out keeping the child's best interests first.. don't know if this article will help, both districts have highly ranked high schools... best wishes!

Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa high schools receive national ranking - saratogian.com

Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
You own your home, you have a girlfriend who you are not married to. From a logical and financial position, you need to stay put. A rented mobile home with a roommate over an owner-occupied house that's affordable? Why is this even a question?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM

-Sally- I've been keeping the best intrests of all us as a family in mind to be able to be financially sound with no worries. Especially since talks of expanding the family by one was a future possiability. My house maybe small (900 sq.ft.), but i can easly afford it by myself. My cost of living is also low. Pay under $1k a year to heat the house and almost everything in the house from furnace to electrical has been updated except for the kitchen. On top of that after looking into the market. It'd cost me an additional $50+k to find a happy medium equivelent of my house. And the her child should have no problem adjusting to a new school at her age.

-Annerk- Thanks, I keep saying the samething that the smart decission is to stay put and move her child into ballston spa. Mostly for the financial stability since my place has a low cost of living. She doesnt want to move because she works for the school district and would see her and help her in school if need be, and her child doesnt want to change schools. Child's affraid of losing friends and her worlds going to change. I've been saying that'd she'd adjust going into the 5th grade. Make new friends, and with todays technology she'd still keep most if not all her current friends. Especially her Best friend. Which only lives 10min down the road from my house. My house just happens to be 5min off the boarder into B.Spa but she cant stay in saratoga district.
Thanks again for the replys.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM

267 posts, read 971,574 times
If your girlfriend works for the Saratoga district, is she able to keep her kids in Saratoga despite where she lives?

Here in Schenectady that is the case. A teacher who lives in Clifton Park has her children go to the Sch'dy school that she teaches in.

I lived with my now husband before we were married. But we didn't have kids...kids change a lot in this situation. I hate to say it but if I were her I would not move in with you, into your house without being married. That's a lot of risk on her part and a lot of change for her kids without a "for sure thing". For you, I wouldn't sell the home unless you were going to get married. Financially it doesn't make sense for you. If you were engaged with actual plans to marry, I'd then say come up with a solution as a family. I do have kids now, and once you have kids, everything changes, all of your focus is on them and what is best for them. Most of the time, no about 99.9% of the time I don't get what I want, it's about them.

I agree with above poster that both districts are good. I think reputation wise Saratoga is better. I like both cities. I like Saratoga for it's summer time tourists and nightlife. I like Ballston Spa for it's small town, quieter feel. Both are nice.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM

J12308,
I dont know. I know there something about a student waiver program but i dont want to look too far into and open a possiable can of worms.
I know kids change alot. Ive been looking at the financial and long term benifits of all of it. With todays technology and living so close to her childs current best friend(10min drive away,and is on the way to my g/f work from my house).
Our relationship situation because of us not currently being married shouldnt have a factor since.
1. We've been friends for many years.
2. From the day we've actually hooked up and started this relationship from being friends, we've talked about being married, living together, and adding another child into the mix. We even had talked about being engaged or even married within the next year. I've also told her i'm in it for the long run and was going to propose when she did move in.

Also. her child rarely sees any of her friends outside of school besides her best friend which currently lives around the block, and that'll go out the window once they move regardless. And if i'm only 10min down the road, it'd be no problem keeping the together as friends by carting them around for play dates and etc.. Besides that. All of her other play date her child has are always the gfs friends or relatives children which none goto the same school.

I'm really not seeing many cons to not moving here besides the changing schools and she'd have to adjust and she wouldnt goto the same school with her mother. Which i've been told by many parents and teacher friends that she'd adjust and get over it after a months or two since she is so young and would be in the same style classroom setup where kids are in the same classroom with the same kids for the whole year. Especially once she starts making friends. Also been told that since my gf works for a school. She should know this and should see it happen all the time.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 AM

27 posts, read 49,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You own your home, you have a girlfriend who you are not married to. From a logical and financial position, you need to stay put. A rented mobile home with a roommate over an owner-occupied house that's affordable? Why is this even a question?
good point

Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments.
I know I’m right on this whole situation. I'm just having such a hard time trying to understand why she feels its not the smart and best choice to make. Ballston's a great school too and the financial stability is beyond here. All because she's afraid it's going to hurt her daughter when everyone knows her daughter will be fine and will adjust once she starts the new school. Please ask other people to read and comment on this. I'd love to hear from more people and what they have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area