U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,088 times
Default moving to Schenectady area: Need help

I will be moving to the Schenectady area soon. Can anyone tell me the best place to live? I heard that Niskayuna, Guilderland, and Clifton Park is good. Which one is better and does anyone have any other suggestions. I need to preferably stay within 20 minutes of Schenectady.

Last edited by Gemini5; 10-22-2007 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 01:58 PM

266 posts, read 556,724 times
Default Places to live

It all depends on what type of place you'd like to live, city, suburbs, rural. I live in the city of Sch'dy, and like it a lot. Niskayuna, Scotia, Glenville are very nice and very close. Guilderland, Burnt Hills, are very nice as well just a bit further a way. Maybe if you give more specifics, I can help you better.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM

103 posts, read 210,549 times
Niskayuna, Scotia, Glenville are very nice and very close

Old 10-29-2007, 03:26 PM

12,246 posts, read 16,416,849 times
Gemini...are you coming from Long Island? If so, Clifton Park is Long Island North.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,018 times
Why Are You Moving To Schenectady? I Lived There Most Of My Life & Moved South Because It Deteriorated So Much. The Place Has A High Crime Rate, Cloudy, Cold Weather & Unfriendly People. There Is No Work. All The Work Moved South. I Will Tell You That If You Have To Move There, Try Rotterdam, It Is More Safe.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 AM

266 posts, read 556,724 times
Default on the upswing

If you haven't been to Sch'dy in a while, you'd be pleasantly surprised. The city is definately on the up swing. Broadway is busy with construction, new workers and businesses. I can't deny the crime, there probably is more crime in Sch'dy compared to Rotterdam, but I don't think Rotterdam is doing as well as Sch'dy when it comes to business and jobs. I just drove through Rotterdam yesterday and a lot of businesses were closed and boarded up. Gemini good luck in Sch'dy.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM

585 posts, read 1,420,882 times
We moved up to Ballston Spa recently from Colorado. My take on Schenectady is that it is indeed on the upswing. Lot's of construction going on downtown and there are jobs down there. Some areas are rundown and ghettoey, some are fantastic. Niskayuna is nice but there isn't a really centralized downtown unless you go into Schenectady. Scotia seemed cute.

Clifton Park was awful for us, that much I can say. We lived there for a few months while looking for a house. It's just soccer fields and strip malls.

The Burnt Hills area seems rather nice. The drawback to living north of Schenectady and commuting into it is that damn Rexford bridge.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM

52 posts, read 176,012 times
I think that "better" is very subjective. Perhaps you could give us a little more info on how you like to live, i.e. village living, country living, shopping mall suburb living. The great part of the Capital Region is that you can find a town or area to suit whatever your tastes are.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:53 PM

12,246 posts, read 16,416,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Gemini...are you coming from Long Island? If so, Clifton Park is Long Island North.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Clifton Park was awful for us, that much I can say. We lived there for a few months while looking for a house. It's just soccer fields and strip malls.
These two quotes are mutually inclusive.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 10,948 times
If you have your heart set on Schenectady County, the best bet is Niskayuna. They have the best schools in the county and region. When General Electric was in its hay-day, all of the GE executives lived in Niskayuna. The residents are fairly well to do and when that is the case, the school system is very good. If you would consider other locations, as a Realtor, I would suggest these other locations: Clifton Park; Delmar/Bethlehem; Saratog Springs and Loudonville. Wishing you the very best with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area