Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,889 times

Advertisements

For family reasons, we are considering moving to the New Paltz area, and I would need to work in Albany for at least a few years.

Distance and time aside, is this commute, which would be almost entirely on the NY Thruway, feasible given the increased amount of snowfall up near Albany ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM

112 posts, read 245,371 times
Distance and time aside, I wouldn't worry too much about snow getting in your way. At most, you'd have to deal with maybe 5 to 10 days at most (out of 365) where snow slows you down. It's not like Albany gets hammered with snow all winter long. Last year, we hardly had any, this winter was a little more typical. Storms that dump 6 inches or less are more of a nuisance, and storms that dump a foot or more are more likely to really slow you down, and like I mentioned earlier, those big dumps don't happen as frequently.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM

20 posts, read 40,611 times
New Paltz to Albany is one straight drive up the thruway, less than an hour. The exit 23 toll plaza in the morning would be a better option as the exit 24 plaza (where I90 and I87 merge) has traffic merging from the thruway eastbound into Albany in the morning as well and that could slow you down. So take exit 23 to 787 and you should be fine! :-)

Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 PM

334 posts, read 851,718 times
It's a long drive that I wouldn't want to do daily, but I wouldn't worry about the snow. The Thruway is pretty much the first road cleared, and plows are out in force on that road as soon as snow is predicted. The road is usually treated and plowed several times before a storm even ends.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
My brother commuted from Saugerties to Albany for a couple of years until they sold their house, and it was tough on both him and the car. I can't imagine a daily commute from New Paltz. In good weather with no traffic you'd be looking at 75 minutes each way. In bad weather you could be looking at three hours each way. The tolls and gas will cut deeply into your wallet.

Is there any way you can look at Catskill instead? The only other thing I'd suggest is maybe trying to rent an inexpensive room in the Albany area and stay there M-Th evenings, then go back home on the weekends. The cost of the room would be offset by the $100+ a week you'll be spending on gas and tolls.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
Smile I commute from New Paltz to Albany everyday

Commute is fine and snow in Albany is similar to snow near New Paltz. I wouldn't mind sharing commute with someone though. New Paltz is a great area.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,651 times
Need a 4 wheel drive and lots of patience for not just winter but fall when rain and fallen leaves will make driving difficult.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:34 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I don't think rain and falling leaves would be an issue in terms of driving during the fall. Distance seems to be more of an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area