Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 10,562 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the albany area next month. He got a job in Latham. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good town to settle down in; in terms of affordability and family friendly/low crime. If anyone has any recommendations on rental places Im all ears...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:27 AM

65 posts, read 204,641 times
I am not sure where you are moving from. But for us, we found the houses in the Albany suburbs very expensive. In most areas the average price for a newer and nicer 3 bed 2bath house is between $270,000 to $320,000 depending upon school district. If you like older homes, then thats fine, there are lots of choices, in a wide variety of price ranges.

The best school district is Niskayuna, its a nice area. The other areas close to latham are delmar, colonie (I would prefer north) and glenmont. Most of the younger and newer people are moving to Clifton Park, Balston Spa area, but the commute might be an issue.

For cheaper houses but rural areas, schodack, nassau, castleton on hudson may be an option. Selkirk is also a nice and upcoming area too.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 AM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This is a list if home rentals in the area: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Are schools an issue, as that could open you up to more suggestions?

Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 PM

59 posts, read 145,732 times
Try Colonie, it is about 5 minutes away from Latham and is the 6th Safest city in the country, very good school district too, also very nice houses on the side near Niskayuna. Town of Colonie - New York - Homepage Colonie also has Colonie Center which is a huge mall. Hope You like the Area!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:24 PM

82 posts, read 167,258 times
Clifton Park area trumps Niskayuna in every way including schools ten fold. It sets the standard for the Capital District.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:22 PM

59 posts, read 145,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Daddy View Post
Clifton Park area trumps Niskayuna in every way including schools ten fold. It sets the standard for the Capital District.
If you are talking to me, i wasn't talking about niskay. i was talking about the northern side of colonie near niskay.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper579 View Post
If you are talking to me, i wasn't talking about niskay. i was talking about the northern side of colonie near niskay.

Naaa...was addressing what Cooks said about Niskayuna having the best schools in the area. They do have good schools...as do many other towns around. When it comes to all out resources and such, Shen trumps them all. Myself...I'd take a good smaller school anytime.

But for the area...Clifton Park really does set the standard.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:35 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Daddy View Post
Naaa...was addressing what Cooks said about Niskayuna having the best schools in the area. They do have good schools...as do many other towns around. When it comes to all out resources and such, Shen trumps them all. Myself...I'd take a good smaller school anytime.

But for the area...Clifton Park really does set the standard.
Check this out: 2012 Albany Area school district rankings - Business First

2012 Upstate school district rankings - Business First

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 PM

That's great. I stand corrected about the schools thing. I highly doubt they got the programs and budget Shen has though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area