Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,974 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Albany soon, and wanted to live what I think falls under the business district of Albany - the area between Clinton Ave and State St., around North Pearl (roughly Broadway to Academy/Lafayette Park). How safe is this area? I'm a single young female, if it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Moving from Texas to Albany

Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times
I try not be negative when posting but I don't think I've ever heard the term 'business district' and Albany in the same sentence. That area of Pearl is known more for the clubs and bars and a few restaurants than for business. It's where we go after work. Enough of the college crowd also hangs out there. I wouldn't call it unsafe but like any area in Albany you need to use common sense. Lots of quiet streets, lots of places you shouldn't walk alone after dark, common sense for a young woman. I also don't think of that area as residential but I guess there some rentals and condos. Revitalizing downtown and revitalizing the waterfront are 2 very common political mantras in the area. Kinda unusual to hear about someone young and single moving TO Albany.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What the Center Square neighborhood, OP? Center Square Neighborhood In Albany NY - Downtown Albany Community Near Lark Street

Lark Street In Albany New York - Restaurants, Shopping, Bars And Galleries

Old 08-04-2013, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,974 times
I thought Center Square was limited to being west of Empire State Plaza? I was looking slightly more northeast.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:31 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku3210 View Post
I thought Center Square was limited to being west of Empire State Plaza? I was looking slightly more northeast.
It is a more centrally located area of the city, but there seems to be a pretty young collection of people there.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM

255 posts, read 487,735 times
Yeah, you'd be better off living in Center Square. I live there and walk downtown to work everyday. There's way more young people in the neighborhood as well. It's also nicer because the park is right by it.

I'm a 25 year old guy by the way.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times
Center Square is the area west of the Plaza over to Lark. There are younger people around Lark over to Madison because again there's a couple of popular bars and restaurants. Plenty of brownstone housing around Washington Park. Similar situation to your preferred area. Not unsafe if you exercise common sense. Your post is concerning safety. You want to stay south of Clinton. The area to the north is Arbor Hill. The area south of State St gets sketchy past the Times Union Center. The parking lot of the TU gets it's fair share of trouble. A lot of that area is under the 787 overpass. Just have to watch when and where you're alone here. It's not a walking city like NYC, there aren't people all over. Very hilly, and if you are on foot you can find yourself alone very quickly. Remember there are several colleges in this area. This is the same advice the students are given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area