Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 AM

127 posts, read 223,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I heard a comedian who once said, "Every city has two malls... the mall white people go to, and the mall white people used to go to." Sad, but true.
The irony is that it was a black comedian. But I am sure plenty of people thought this quote was from a racist white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM

112 posts, read 245,371 times
Default How do you define "urban"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
When did I state a specific ethnical group. That assumption is rather racist of you. Please look at your own mind for more info on that. I can assure you that the image of black vs white is not in my mind when creating such threads, but rather douchebags vs decent people. It is telling that you assume I was referring to blacks though, very telling of your own hidden racism.
I suppose some introspection is always healthy. In the end, I have a problem with your use of the word "urban". Marketers, advertisers, politicians, and educators have been using that word for years to refer, not to folks centered in city-like environs, but rather, to ethnic groups. If you are truly referring to just douche-bags vs. decent people, then keep any other adjectives out of your discourse. Otherwise, you run the risk of sounding racist, which is how your response sounded to me and at least two others on this forum.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 AM

255 posts, read 487,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastreturnsWest View Post
I suppose some introspection is always healthy. In the end, I have a problem with your use of the word "urban". Marketers, advertisers, politicians, and educators have been using that word for years to refer, not to folks centered in city-like environs, but rather, to ethnic groups. If you are truly referring to just douche-bags vs. decent people, then keep any other adjectives out of your discourse. Otherwise, you run the risk of sounding racist, which is how your response sounded to me and at least two others on this forum.
Don't forget the phrases "walking around like they're mister everything" and "knuckle drag swag" he used.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,463 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
Don't forget the phrases "walking around like they're mister everything" and "knuckle drag swag" he used.
I think we are all on the same page here If you check OP's posting history, every single thread he's started gets into an issue of race. What I find most interesting is that EastreturnsWest didn't say anything about a SPECIFIC race, just that he felt OP was being racist -
Quote:
It seems like the OP had an agenda; to get some kind of discourse going on his racist feelings toward a certain group of people who happen to be walking through Crossgates.

OP jumped down his throat saying specifically "blacks." -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
When did I state a specific ethnical group. That assumption is rather racist of you. Please look at your own mind for more info on that. I can assure you that the image of black vs white is not in my mind when creating such threads, but rather douchebags vs decent people. It is telling that you assume I was referring to blacks though, very telling of your own hidden racism.

Obvious is obvious...

Old 10-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I suppose some introspection is always healthy. In the end, I have a problem with your use of the word "urban".
Yea, because again you assumed I was referring to blacks. Hidden racism. Check your head.

Quote:
Marketers, advertisers, politicians, and educators have been using that word for years to refer, not to folks centered in city-like environs, but rather, to ethnic groups.
I am not going to curb my language because politicians start using words to refer to this, that or the other thing. That would be political correctness. Which I tend not to be. I don't cater to people for the sake of it, nor do I deny them for the sake of it. I am fair and balanced with those who are fair and balanced to me, regardless of their skin tone. If a guy is an obnoxious **** to me I will not react well to his presence. No matter his skin tone. I shall not display more tolerance toward a black guy who is in my face than a white guy who is in my face. The commonality is they are both in my face. And my objective would be to get them out of my face. I am allowed this privilege in a free society where I am entitled to my space.

Quote:
If you are truly referring to just douche-bags vs. decent people, then keep any other adjectives out of your discourse.
I will use whatever nouns, adjectives or whatever the hell else I damn well please. Got a problem with that? Look within yourself for the answers. Not to me.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
Assuming this is referring to blacks is not only racist but clearly shows how little you think of most black people.

Last edited by Travelling_Alien; 10-05-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I think we are all on the same page here If you check OP's posting history, every single thread he's started gets into an issue of race. What I find most interesting is that EastreturnsWest didn't say anything about a SPECIFIC race, just that he felt OP was being racist -

OP jumped down his throat saying specifically "blacks." -

Obvious is obvious...
The only thing obvious here is ignorance.

Apparently someone is not allowed to point out the very real fact that in work environments an elder Asian woman is selective and prefers to hire Asians, as if this is somehow not factual or flawed to point out?

Yes, this is the "post history" you are referring to.

The problem is if it was any ethnical group accusing a white of discrimination everyone would bend over backward for them from the get go.

But because I, as a single white male am apparently responsible for the entire history of every other ethnical group living in America I am, by default, racist. Right? That seems to be the logic being approached.

I never once said I hated any ethnical group. I have said repeatedly that I love Asian people, and that I am open and fair with anyone of any ethnicity as long as they are the same way with me.

You are deriving racism from this from one simple fact. I refuse to bend over backwards specifically for an individual based on their skin tone.

Why? Because there are an abundance of people suffering in todays world of all ethnicities who need our help. I refuse to limit that focus to only blacks because political correctness is trying to persuade me to.

Will I deny blacks in need? Of course not. Will I deny whites in need? Of course not? Asians in need? Of course not. Hispanics in need? Of course not. Regardless of how you wish for me to play favoritism and lip service to one group.

The problem is this also. In New York state there is this impression that there are a disproportionate number of poor blacks than any other group. That might be true of New York, to a degree but visit Schenectady some day. You will see plenty of whites who are down on their luck and living in the gutter too. And if that does not convince you? Visit ANY state out west to witness the sheer poverty of the white ghetto, and furthermore live there for a while so you may eliminate this notion that only one group suffers predominately over another.

Painting whites as the enemy is exactly what these politicians you speak of want you to do. Limiting our language in discussion so anything we say can eventually be construed as racism is another. This creates racial disparity and makes it easier for them to control us.

Whatever the case may be I refuse to suck up to people because they are a certain skin color. Especially considering that I also grew up in poverty. I also refuse to be mean or nasty to anyone unless they are mean and nasty to me first.

Try to approach this from the context of logical deduction. Not your emotionally induced state.

And remember, the real enemy is on the other side of your TV screen telling you how to think.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Oh and Mind you, I am part native American! Almost forgot that.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:34 PM

386 posts, read 667,928 times
Would rather go to Crossgates.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:37 PM

10 posts, read 42,124 times
As a person who went to grad school in Albany for 2 years 2009-2011, I personally liked both malls. But because I lived on Western Avenue, I went to Crossgates a lot more often than Colonie. Plus they had convenient shuttle buses that took you from Crossgates to Walmart. However, I did like the movie theater at Colonie better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area