U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-31-2013, 05:18 PM
 
127 posts, read 159,426 times
Reputation: 82

Advertisements

So, since these malls seem to attract crowds of people, and thus any 'culture' they might bring with them I thought I would as this question.

What do you guys think is the better Mall and for what reason?

I have worked in several stores in Colonie mall, but none yet in crossgates (which might be changing soon).

Please be very descript about all your points.

Don't be afraid to share theories of social outcomes too.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2013, 02:06 AM
 
42 posts, read 156,726 times
Reputation: 25
Colonie Center as the mall to go to in the 60s, as it was the only mall in the area at the time. my mom would come all the way over from Pittsfield to go there. Then Crossgates took the torch in the 80s/90s putting many of the other malls in the area mostly out of business. Now, it seems Colonie Center, has taken back the torch once again, as Crossgates got too big, they started harassing the customers in the lobby to buy stuff, and they became teenager unfriendly. All three points is not good for business. Colonie Center seems more inviting and friendly, and a more pleasant shopping experience. This is what, I have heard and seen some of it, myself. The malls in the area had a nicer feel to them before the food courts were put in, but that is another story.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 AM
 
127 posts, read 159,426 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyll View Post
Colonie Center as the mall to go to in the 60s, as it was the only mall in the area at the time. my mom would come all the way over from Pittsfield to go there. Then Crossgates took the torch in the 80s/90s putting many of the other malls in the area mostly out of business. Now, it seems Colonie Center, has taken back the torch once again, as Crossgates got too big, they started harassing the customers in the lobby to buy stuff, and they became teenager unfriendly. All three points is not good for business. Colonie Center seems more inviting and friendly, and a more pleasant shopping experience. This is what, I have heard and seen some of it, myself. The malls in the area had a nicer feel to them before the food courts were put in, but that is another story.
Crossgates mall has a very urban vibe, which tends to attract a lot of A-holes.

You know, these guys who walk around thinking they're mister everything, with the knuckle drag swag to boot.

Colonie seems like it still attracts some of that dynamic but also whatever 'intellects' the area produces. Hence there being a Barnes and Noble at this Mall and not Crossgates.

As a matter of fact there is no book store at crossgates at all.

The upside of crossgates is it has far more attractive females for ones visual pleasure.

Other than this, it reminds me of walking down a urban promenade outdoors, but indoors.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 AM
 
252 posts, read 374,701 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
Crossgates mall has a very urban vibe, which tends to attract a lot of A-holes.

You know, these guys who walk around thinking they're mister everything, with the knuckle drag swag to boot.

Colonie seems like it still attracts some of that dynamic but also whatever 'intellects' the area produces. Hence there being a Barnes and Noble at this Mall and not Crossgates.

As a matter of fact there is no book store at crossgates at all.

The upside of crossgates is it has far more attractive females for ones visual pleasure.

Other than this, it reminds me of walking down a urban promenade outdoors, but indoors.


Uh there's no bookstore in crossgates because Borders went out of business. Not because Crossgates is more "urban"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 AM
 
5,721 posts, read 5,238,640 times
Reputation: 3603
I heard a comedian who once said, "Every city has two malls... the mall white people go to, and the mall white people used to go to." Sad, but true.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM
 
172 posts, read 757,340 times
Reputation: 233
As someone who moved here a few years ago, I always perceived Colonie Center to have a more affluent clientele, reflected in the image of the mall (i.e. newer-looking, perhaps a little more ostentatious). Crossgates attracts more of a middle-income group, runs par for the course as mall goes (though the noise and dust from the recent interior work, such as the new floor installations, have probably deterred some shoppers). When I go to malls, I go to Crossgates because it's closer to my house.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 PM
 
5,721 posts, read 5,238,640 times
Reputation: 3603
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
As someone who moved here a few years ago, I always perceived Colonie Center to have a more affluent clientele, reflected in the image of the mall (i.e. newer-looking, perhaps a little more ostentatious). Crossgates attracts more of a middle-income group, runs par for the course as mall goes (though the noise and dust from the recent interior work, such as the new floor installations, have probably deterred some shoppers). When I go to malls, I go to Crossgates because it's closer to my house.
lol they r practically right next to each other...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 PM
 
1,704 posts, read 1,521,765 times
Reputation: 1200
What happened to Latham Circle Mall?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 PM
 
127 posts, read 159,426 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
Uh there's no bookstore in crossgates because Borders went out of business. Not because Crossgates is more "urban"
But Barnes and Noble didn't.

Remember, there was a borders right next to colonie as well. Why not more than one of the more succesful retailer?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 AM
 
129 posts, read 192,136 times
Reputation: 140
Latham was killed off by Crossgates, they're only 10 minutes apart tops depending on traffic.

It basically started to die in the late 1990s - when Caldor went out the entire wing was torn down for a Lowes (the wing itself only built in 1988) - but had JC Penney, a theatre, Burlington Coat Factory, and the couple times I was there there was one or two other chain mall stores and some independent stores. On my visit the food court was completely vacant, and there were signs of deferred maintenance, buckets to catch leaks, plus even though it was a warm day they didn't have the A/C on, just had some doors propped open.

From what I can gather they made plans and tried to bring in new retailers a bunch of times and nothing panned out; Burlington and the theatre closed, and now they're knocking down most of it - JC Penney remains as does Lowes.



I don't know that I'd describe Crossgates as more urban, at least the times I've been there. But I've yet to make the other mall to compare them, I only get to Albany about once a year now and usually only make it to Crossgates.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top