Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 PM

63 posts, read 97,595 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm a French-Canadian engineer from Montreal and I applied for a medical device engineering job in Rensselaer. Which part of Albany should I look to eventually get an apartment or a room in Albany? I've read that near Lark st. it should be a good fit, but are there other places to check?

I'm a 39 yrs old single urban guy that likes to go out once in a while.

Thanks for your help!

Merci!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 PM

334 posts, read 852,015 times
Lark St/Center Square sounds like a good fit for you. Lark Street itself can get noisy, so a block or two away toward the Empire State Plaza is good. You might also like downtown Troy near Monument Square. It is cheaper than Albany, has a number of artist/artisan stores, is close to RPI, which has interesting events, especially at EMPAC. There aren't nearly as many restaurants or clubs as in Albany, but they are starting to come in.

The Delaware Ave neighborhood is a little grittier than Center Square, but you can get more for your money, parking is much easier, lots of new restaurants and businesses are cropping up, it is close to Lark St. (walking distance if you like to walk), and has a great neighborhood association.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks Sarchivist!

I'll check around those areas. I've read other posts you wrote on this forum, very informative.

I think I'll rather like Albany from Troy. How is the NCAA football in Albany? I'm a huge american football fan since I'm 7, played and coached.

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:10 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padzine View Post
Thanks Sarchivist!

I'll check around those areas. I've read other posts you wrote on this forum, very informative.

I think I'll rather like Albany from Troy. How is the NCAA football in Albany? I'm a huge american football fan since I'm 7, played and coached.

Cheers!
UAlbany plays in the Colonial Athletic Association, which is arguably the toughest football league in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision(formerly known as Division 1AA). Union College in Schenectady and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy play NCAA Division 3 Football. So, you have a few college football teams in the area to watch.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 PM

Oh yeah cool!

Thanx!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Do you like ice hockey? (I know, stereotype of Canadians, but my grandparents are Canadian - Nova Scotia - so I'm allowed :-) ) There is some good college hockey around. RPI games are fun, and Union is very good.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 PM

Hehe, I'm a non conventional canadian
Hockey is ok but football remains my sport. Ya there are few nhl players from RPI. Nice to hear the caliber is good. Btw i was in high school with martin st-louis (tampa bay), he went to vermont university and my god, this dude still amazed me. He could scored 5-6 goals each game in HS...

Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 AM

723 posts, read 634,114 times
Does Troy really have more restaurants than Albany? I don't believe that's true. Albany has tons of great restaurants spread all over the city, but mostly concentrated in downtown, Center Square, Delaware Ave (DelSo), New Scotland around Quail St and Pine Hills. Other than that, sarchivist's description of Troy is spot on. Very cute city, one of my faves, but the commute from Albany might be easier and there's generally more to do in Albany. Troy has more small shops and art galleries though, if I remember correctly. Fortunately, no matter which one you pick, the other is still close.

Hope everything goes well with your interview!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 PM

I think there ARE more restaurants than in Troy. I didn't word my post very clearly.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 PM

Thx Jay, i hope it will work out.

I'll drive aroung in Albany to look at the areas mentioned.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area