Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 PM

17 posts, read 31,963 times

Advertisements

So, I'm getting transferred to albany for work (that or get laid off).

I'll be bringing the whole brood in after checking out the area with a goal of purchasing a house shortly as my son will be starting elementary school in the fall.

So, I' could really use some guidance. Here's what we like:

1. Good schools.
2. Older homes/neighborhoods. I like character in homes whether it's a Victorian or craftsman or federal - basically anything prewar - up and coming areas welcome.
3. Shrt to moderate commute. I believe I'll be working on state st.
4. Walkable neighborhoods. Small town or streetcar suburb. Either way. "Main Street" -ish, if you know what I mean
5. Something under 250k would be awesome
6. Somewhat of a progressive area. Not because I just want to like with like minded folks, I just like international restaurants, access to quality groceries, etc.
7. Not too damn snooty.
8. I'd like to be south on the west side of the Hudson to get better proximity to some family - but not, by any means aa requirement.

Any thoughts? Obviously we have some flexibility on some of these. The first two items, less so. But if u could throw some ideas out there, it would be immeasurably helpful.

Thanks again.

-al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:37 AM

112 posts, read 245,467 times
Default Altamont or Voorheesville

Altamont

This is a small village, if you blink driving through, you'll miss it, but it does have most of the things you're looking for. Also, it doesn't really show well in the winter when everyone hibernates. In the summer, there is a farmer's market, a nice little concert series in the park, and on the whole it's more vibrant.

1. Guilderland Schools-consistently ranked in the top 5 for the area.
2. Older homes, many houses on main and side streets Victorian/Federal. Some newer developments on the outskirts of the village.
3. Commute to downtown less than 30 min.
4. Sidewalks throughout the village.
5. Home prices range from low 200s to upper 300s, with exceptions on either end.
6. Don't know if I'd call it progressive, but a nice mix of young families and old-timers with a variety of political leanings. It's definitely a small village, so you're not going to find a myriad of restaurants or shopping within the village proper. You'd have to get in the car for that. With that said, there is one sit-down bar/restaurant, a diner, and three take-out places.
7. Not sure how to answer the snootiness factor, that might be in the eye of the beholder.
8. Village is situated southwest of Albany.

Voorheesville has several of the same qualities regarding schools and walkability. It's a bit closer to downtown Albany than Altamont by about ten minutes.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:02 AM

255 posts, read 488,068 times
Delmar would be a good bet, it's a suburb south of albany a bit but very close. It has a good school (Bethlehem), a town center and has older homes.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:56 AM

93,301 posts, read 123,941,088 times
People may think I'm crazy for this suggestion, but perhaps Menands, which has a solid and very diverse school that after Grade 8 offers students the option of going to high school at either Shaker High in the North Colonie SD, Watervliet High or Tech Valley High. Shaker would be the best choice out of the 3. It has walkable neighborhoods, but it is more working/middle class in character, is north of Albany and it doesn't appear to have the restaurants you may want. It does appear to have the homes with character that you may want though. About Menands School - Menands School District, Menands, NY

Menands School - Menands, New York - NY - School overview

The Village of Menands

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=menan...05.08,,0,-6.51

Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM

95 posts, read 191,439 times
Delmar has outstanding schools. Guilderland has good schools too. It all depends where you are coming from and how you define good schools. Honestly, we have some of the best schools in the country here. Even what we call "not great" is better than 95% of the public schools in NYC. If you want the best of the best schools then Bethlehem, Niskayuna, North Colonie, etc. Niskayuna is a bit far for your commute. North Colonie might be too. Niskayuna can be snobby. I think Bethlehem can be too but every person has their own opinion--it is very subjective. I experienced snobbery in Bethlehem when talking to people zoned to Selkirk schools which is surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area