Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:09 PM

85 posts, read 287,810 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Troy, NY. Could someone give us an idea of the property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,387 times
Looks like it's about 2.71 % of assessed value. Pretty high, as all of New York state tends to be.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Taxes in Troy

And one never knows when they will be raised. Do you know of a place around Albany area with lower taxes?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 26,590 times
taxes are about 3 % but but but.... troy's school are crap everyone who hopes for a high school grad at least... has to send their children to priv school... college's are great in troy own most of the property one of the reasons taxes are so high...

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM

Default assessed value

Is the value that is taxed more or less the market value? Has it jumped recently or does the assessed value move up slowly, like in NYC?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 AM

502 posts, read 1,739,720 times
I am in Albany and the assessed value has no relationship to the market value, so I assume Troy is the same. We have a home we are about to sell that we bought for $245K about 8 years ago, and it should sell for about $525K now. Its still assessed at $255K and the taxes are about $8K/year. I believe Troy taxes may be a little higher. I am in Town of Colonie which has been pretty low compared to the surrounding towns here. As was mentioned, the Troy school system is not very highly though of, and the city is very spotty with some areas being very nice historical homes, and other areas being very high crime. You need to really pay attention to where you are buying. Troy has traditionally been though of in the area as a "blue collar" town, and much of the industry there has left. RPI is a very good and very expensive engineering oriented college in the middle of Troy, and they are spinning off a lot of small tech companies in an incubator area, so that is the upside. Some people love Troy, and some people wouldn't put it on their list of places to live. Like I said, things vary greatly from one place to another in the city. On the school situation, the only large Catholic high school (Catholic Central) in the area is located in Troy and that is an option for avoiding Troy High School if that is an issue for you.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:16 AM

70 posts, read 421,282 times
Its still assessed at $255K and the taxes are about $8K/year

Jeez.....that is like Long Island taxes. I didn't realize how high taxes were up there! Is downtown Albany the same with the taxes...like Pine Hills, Helderberg, Delaware Ave?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:28 AM

502 posts, read 1,739,720 times
Well it is half what it would be down in southern NY... like in Westchester and Long Island. I would guess that taxes here are half what they are in Long Island. I am currently in Town of Colonie which currently has some of the lowest taxes in the Capital District. I do know too that Troy was one of many local municipalities that had a HUGE school tax increase in the last five years... I think they went up like 50% in one year. That has happened to a lot of places around here due to mis-management for several years.

As a point of reference on the home I used as a reference... it is 3000 sq ft, plus another 1250 sq ft finished in a walk-out basement, inground pool, and in a very desirable neighborhood inside the highway loop... so it is on the upper end of the "middle class" homes. I would guess that a house like that on Long Island would be a bit more.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:09 PM

So I guess the NY rule that taxes can only go up so much a year doesn't apply to the school tax part. We are very concerned about moving somewhere, only to get an unexpected tax rise.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM

135 posts, read 548,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdowler View Post
Its still assessed at $255K and the taxes are about $8K/year

Jeez.....that is like Long Island taxes. I didn't realize how high taxes were up there! Is downtown Albany the same with the taxes...like Pine Hills, Helderberg, Delaware Ave?
If the house is worth $525,000, that is an effective property tax rate of 1.52%. Perhaps high, but not outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area