Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM

334 posts, read 851,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganMclean View Post
I personally do not like the downtown in the night time as you can see quite a scene of hookers standing in the street.
What is considered downtown Troy? I have been in the Monument Square area at night, and it always seemed fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,450 times
Default Thanks

Thank you all for the responses. I will be moving in April!

Megan, I did get the job so I will definitely be moving. I looked at one apartment in Troy, but I made a list of places to call since I will be in the area this weekend. There doesn't seem to be much in Latham at the moment. The main problem I am having is that I have a dog and many places do not allow them. I have an accounting degree and know a few people that worked for the state in this area so I am planning to take a few tests and just wait. I know it can take years. I'm actually happy to be getting out of the restaurant industry, the hours are exhausting.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Downtown Troy is fine. I have been visiting and staying in downtown Troy for over 10 years and have never ever had a single problem. If you want to be where the action is, don't move to Latham for sure.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 AM

15 posts, read 30,219 times
I used to live close to the campus area and once a while, you would hear about news about students got mugged in Congress Street or towards 4th/5th street. I walk down once with my friends towards this direction and saw hookers standing in the street. Of course, they won't bother you but you just feel not comfortable. As a single female, I will not feel safe to walk to the coner store to get stuff in the night. I am not saying it is all "bad areas", it depends on your personality. If you like night life, then it may be for you.

Have you try Troy Garden? Not the best apartment but the rent is very affordable especially including heat. Check with them, I think they allow dogs. Good luck and welcome.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
I personally do not like the downtown in the night time as you can see quite a scene of hookers standing in the street.
Quote:
I walk down once with my friends towards this direction and saw hookers standing in the street.
So this happened only once? Hardly enough to characterize an entire city.

Regarding downtown Troy, the bulk of it is pretty much west of 4th St to the river, goes north to Federal St and south to Division St. Definitely stay south of Hoosick St and I would stay north of Adams St or Washington St when looking for places. Here's a map from Troy BID that shows the overall view - http://www.downtowntroy.org/images/BID_MAP_433x640.jpg

Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM

15 posts, read 30,219 times
You may check the crime rate/record from the RPI Police reports. For the past five years, there were about 2-3 cases every year.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 21,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur12188 View Post
I have a good friend who lives here and loves it. I had an interview for a full time job but I am not positive I will get it. I have about 7k saved up and already found an apartment. If I do not get this job I have 10 years of waitressing and bartending experience. I have 2 BS degrees the most recent in accounting. I am nervous about moving and want to know how you like living here and how the job market is. If I get a position in a restaurant, I want it to be temporary. Any help would be great!
Hi, my husband and I moved to the area from the Scranton- Pittston area two years ago, we are both in our mid twenties. We really enjoy the area and all that it has to offer, especially with the proximity to many outdoor activities. Many of the restaurants are great but there does not seem to be as much of a variety of local unique and family owned and operated restaurants like we were used to in PA. I crave Old Forge pizza almost weekly, haha! The nightlife here is in a way much different than the NEPA corner bars we frequent. They are many gems to be found though, and like some have mentioned the Ruck is great! Church picnics in the summer are not quite as an event as the ones in PA with the extravagant beer tents, but we have seen a few. I really enjoy St. Sophia's Greek Festival that I believe is in May. We both had no problems with the job hunt here in NY and we both have much better jobs than we would have been able to find in PA at the time. I believe that it is a great place to live with much more culture than NEPA. Have fun exploring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area