Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 PM

44 posts, read 60,731 times

Advertisements

Hello,

After my Husband was offered a great job in Boston we discovered we couldn't afford to buy a house within a two hour commute of the job. Not wanting to waste our time again, I figured I'd come on here and try to get a little info before the offer comes. Most of the job ads we're seeing are directly in Albany but one or two have been in Schenectady, Rensselaer, Latham and Niskayuna.

Can anyone suggest what towns would be best to look into....We're looking for a 3+bdrm house (250k-280k) in good condition with a decent yard (.25 acre+) in a safe neighborhood with good schools and lots to do for families with small kids (we have a 3yr old). Is this feasible? Where should we be looking?

The hardest part is also the most important. I don't want my Husband to go to work and miss our kids growing up. He has a 15 min commute right now and it's awesome. So #1 criteria will be a 15-20min commute whether by car or by public transportation, but I understand that might be hard since we don't have a specific job on the hook yet.

Thank you!
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:46 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Pretty much pick any suburb in Albany County, but I'd say that Colonie, Latham, Loudonville(all 3 in the town of Colonie), Delmar, Altamont, Guilderland(last 2 in town of Guilderland) and perhaps parts of Niskayuna in Schenectady County and parts of East Greenbush in Rensselaer County. There are probably a few others as well.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
One of the worst kept secrets in the Capital District is that the best commute is to the east to and from Rensselaer County. East Greenbush is a very good option, good schools and lots to do. Just past that is Schodack, their school district is Maple Hill. Very nice area, commute from there to say the NYS Campus is under 20 minutes. Houses are reasonable and plenty of activities for kids, very sports oriented town.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 PM

HA! East Greenbush, that would be very funny if we moved there...my Husband's family lived there until he was 5yrs old. He has a lot of extended family in the Albany area but we don't want to ask any of them because we don't want to get anyone's hopes up...especially my MIL who is moving back to the Albany area within the next year!

Thank you both for your responses!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
I wouldn't want to live anywhere south of Ballstone spa / Burnt Hills area but that is just me.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 PM

63 posts, read 152,066 times
Hi Dawn, I have a house in East Greenbush that fits that exact bill, great family neighborhood and all, and I'll be putting it on the market in a month or two! Personally, I love E. Greenbush. Other good suburbs are North Greenbush, Delmar, Glenmont. Delmar is on the pricier side.

And if you want details on my house, feel free to PM me!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM

SWFL_Native...any particular reason why?

Locolady, good luck with selling! We probably won't be buying for about a year when/if we move to the region, hopefully your house sells long before that! Thank you for the advice!

Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I wouldn't want to live anywhere south of Ballstone spa / Burnt Hills area but that is just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky1178 View Post
SWFL_Native...any particular reason why?

Locolady, good luck with selling! We probably won't be buying for about a year when/if we move to the region, hopefully your house sells long before that! Thank you for the advice!
I agree that BH-BL is a very nice area with very good schools. However if you have family in the EGbush area I would think that's a plus. The commute is very easy to EG and Schodack. There's another plus if you like day trips in its very easy to shoot over to the Berkshires and only a 2 1/2 hour trip down to NYC and 3 hours to Boston on this side of the river.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM

334 posts, read 851,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
If you live Ballston Spa and north, that will be a fair bit more than a 15 minute commute if the job is in Albany. It will be a shorter commute to Latham, especially if it is in the part of Latham near near the Saratoga Co. border, but still pushing the limits of what the poster is looking for. Plus, housing is higher in much of Saratoga Co.

You should be able to find something in your price range in Colonie, Albany, East Greenbush. A little bit harder in Bethlehem, but do-able. Traffic isn't bad around here, so most commutes take about what you would expect by looking at a map.

Schools are decent in NYS despite the completely inept implementation of the new standards. If you aren't moving for at least a year, hopefully much of that mess will be remedied by then.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Thanks again everyone! I feel like I've got a good list going so when he gets the call for an interview we can spend some time after checking out a few towns closest to the job.

Fingers crossed we can move in the fall before winter sets in. The central heat/air unit in our current townhome is from the 70's and so are the windows, so we'd love to move before we start paying through the nose for heat again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area