Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 8,409 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband is heading to Albany next week to explore a job opportunity. I was hoping to get some feedback from locals to help us in our decision making.

We spent most of our lives in the Eastern half of the US and 3 years ago moved to So Cal. We love many things here but the extremely high cost of living and subpar schools have us seeking out other opportunities. We are a family of 6, with kids ranging from 4-10. My boys all swim competitively and love to be active. Obviously we are looking for good schools but those great school numbers don't mean much to me. We are currently living in the highest ranked district in CA and chose to go to a charter school because the public school was awful. The charter not much better but... I have one middle of the road kid, one extremely gifted kid and one who struggles a little academically and a good bit socially as he as Asperger's. We can not possibly afford private school so we are looking for our best options in public schools.

My husband would be working near the Albany airport. Would prefer to have a commute under 20-30 min. He currently drives 50 miles each way and hates it. Obviously a safe neighborhood is desired.

We are very big on eating local and organic. Wondering what the availability is and the cost. Possibly the availability of cow pooling for grass fed beef etc.

Any advice or pointers on areas to live would be great. We plan to rent for a while at first. Our budget is not set in stone but we will be going from 2 incomes back to 1 so we'd like to keep it pretty modest!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:04 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I'll throw out the North Colonie SD due to its good ratings, proximity to the airport, proximity to a market like this: Honest Weight Food Co-op and other shopping. South Colonie may also work.

Here is some more information: North Colonie Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

South Colonie Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

More than meets the eye

http://www.albanyautism.org/Librarie...rams.sflb.ashx

Albany Starfish Swim Club :

2014 Albany Area school district rankings - Buffalo Business First

Hopefully, others will chime in.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-01-2015 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 03:52 PM

112 posts, read 245,467 times
Voorheesville. It's a safe, quiet, walkable village about 20-30 minutes from the airport. Voorheesville High school has a natatorium/swim team and the school district overall is always ranked in the top five in the area. There's a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods near the airport on Wolf Rd. for organic/local food. Don't know about cow pooling.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:54 PM

95 posts, read 191,439 times
If keeping cost modest is a big concern I'd say Colonie or Clifton Park....most reasonable taxes. Both have good schools. Colonie is a lot closer to the airport.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,267 times
Niskayuna is quite close to the airport, and has very good schools. Delmar (Bethlehem schools also well thought of) isn't that far either. Both have good sports capabilities.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,753 times
Hi! We moved to Niskayuna in September after living in Maryland/DC Metro area for 3 years and NYC metro area for over 10 years. We LOVE Niskayuna- it has everything we had hoped for- sidewalks, parks, great schools (blue ribbon elementary, h.s. was just rated #26 in the country by Newsweek, Division A sports- plus indoor pool at the high school with loads of opportunities for your kids to swim competiviely), a CO-OP grocery store, and it's proximity to transit is unbeatable- 17 mins to Albany airport and 10 mins to Amtrak. Lastly what we really liked/like are the people- the majority are friendly, helpful, and give you that small town comfort and welcoming feeling. As for your child with special education needs, we have a neighbor who has a son with special education needs and the parents rave about how great the district has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area