Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,174 times

Advertisements

Hi is Glens falls ny afforable in terms of buying a house ? can u get anything in the price range of 100, 000s to 200,000s?

thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 07:55 AM

245 posts, read 431,901 times
Yes, it is affordable, and you can find homes in that price range.

However, is it desirable? I'd say you should visit before you commit to anything.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:26 AM

338 posts, read 556,509 times
Wing sauce is correct

Old 01-08-2015, 06:41 PM

76 posts, read 136,404 times
We have a home in Granville, just a stone's throw away. We think it is very nice. There are lots of nice rural properties available near Glens Falls.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
It is affordable, Emily. When I drive around town I see many homes for sale, and I'm sure you will have no trouble finding the right home in your price range. It is a real working-family kind of town, and a great place to raise kids.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
You'd better have a solid job before comitting. Economy sucks up here.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM

It is, but really the job market there isn't much better. The region relies heavily on tourism, so lots of service jobs. With lots of colleges that means competition for those jobs.

You would be much better off property tax wise if you lived in Saratoga, that county is much lower.

I suggest you start following the local news as far as taxes and jobs by reading the Saratogian and the Glens Falls Post Star.

We took a huge pay cut when we moved here from CT, as well as the culture shock. We didn't have kids so I can't speak to that.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Culture shock-employers treat you like dirt, lower class of people. But I guess that would be from moving from any fairly affluent city to a more country.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing. We grew to love it but it took time and adjustment. And we left craploads of money in CT behind in our careers, but we knew we were.

I know hindsight is 20/20. We have had a pretty good time up here, but it was rough at first.
I would never recommend someone coming from a good paying job or career to sacrifice it for the country. Make your hay while the sun shines in the 'city' and come here on vacations and weekends.

There is a reason the population up here is about ten years older than in other areas. Young people are leaving for opportunity while older retirees are coming for the serenity.
This hasn't been covered in our media here until the last few years. School enrollments are declining while the taxes continue to rise.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 AM

Not always. Smart, dumb and ignorant come in all sizes.

One thing that really struck us up here is the perceived greater amount of child sexual abuse. I would like to think it's because we came from a larger city so it was under reported and never made the news.

Also seriously follow the governor's antics here. His recent state of the state is cause for alarm. We have one of the highest per student spending in education, yet our schools aren't even in the top ten in the nation.

The cap on property taxes he passed has resulted in tremendous shortfalls for town, city and county budgets.

Also, 13% MORE people left the state last year than moved here. People are fleeing. Granted they are as well in neighboring states due to taxes but at least in the prosperous cities the jobs pay enough so you can afford to live there.

We have ten acres and a house and building that appraise at approximately 145K. Our prop and school taxes WITH the STAR resident discount are 1900 a year. We are in the country, 36 miles outside of Glens Falls.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:50 AM

Str, they passed the cap which made local taxes go higher. It was a shell game. Then there's penalties for going over the cap which costs munies even more.

Where are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area