Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 11,872 times

Advertisements

Hey friendly capital regioners!

I just got a new job and will be moving to the area. I actually lived in Rensselaer Co. as a youth and so am already familiar with some parts of the area, but haven't lived there as an adult and need some advice in matching my situation/wants/needs with a new neighborhood to call home.

My situation: I am male, 35, married, no kids. Have a new job in Bennington, Vermont, but want to live in the capital region because a) close to family and b) like easy access to an urban area. I would like to live within a 50 minute drive from Bennington (I only need to be at office itself 2-3 times/week) so that means my choices are: Troy, Waterford, Brunswick, Cohoes, Hoosick Falls, anywhere else?

I would like a neighborhood that is walkable -- where I can get a sandwich or coffee/newspaper or roll of paper towels within walking distance. I like cities, but know what I am getting into and will be happy with any safe, walkable, relatively active neighborhood. We will be renting and our budget is $700-$1000/month. Right now we are leaning toward downtown Troy because we'd love some sort of loft-style industrial conversion or anything else in a safe section of town. If we cannot find walkable, safe, and active, we would settle for any area that's more residential but an easy drive from cafes and restaurants and shops. That's why I included Brunswick -- it's right on Rt. 7 which would be convenient and perhaps they have nice apartment complexes? Don't know much about that or other areas. So need some advice! Anyone have any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

-JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Any advice? I'm curious about the thoughts of locals...

Old 04-04-2015, 05:44 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Just a question, but what about Glens Falls, Saratoga Springs or even Ballston Spa?

Old 04-05-2015, 08:51 AM

44 posts, read 77,576 times
Troy sounds like the place for you as it's only 35 minutes away from VT. Lots of old buildings being renovated and their occupancy is filling up rather quickly. Many walkable places to eat/drink downtown between Fulton & Ferry, there's also an insanely good Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings that attracts people from as far away as VT and MA. LOTS of construction going on downtown, and FWIW the man responsible for building up downtown Saratoga (Bonnacio) has now invested heavily in Troy.

Also, Brunswick is basically rural Troy, but you know this already. It's by no means downtown, but check out Pawling Ave area (you should drive around the neighborhoods as places may not be listed) especially now with students moving out. You should be able to find a place within your budget and be extremely close to downtown, plus you can take advantage of the back roads to VT and avoid Hoosick Street altogether.

and don't be afraid to stop into The Man of Kent whilst traveling home from work. fine food and drinks!

good luck, JJ!!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:25 AM

255 posts, read 488,068 times
I'd think you'd want to live in the Monument Square area of Troy. So the area between Federal Street in the North and Division Street in the South. That area is the most walk-able, hip, active area. There's a bunch of industrial conversions in the neighborhood and even more if you following River Street more north. There's a farmers market, antique stores, coffee shops, good bars, etc.

The rent in the area is very much in that $700-$1000 range, and you could even get lucky and find something for $650.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus059 View Post
Troy sounds like the place for you as it's only 35 minutes away from VT. Lots of old buildings being renovated and their occupancy is filling up rather quickly. Many walkable places to eat/drink downtown between Fulton & Ferry, there's also an insanely good Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings that attracts people from as far away as VT and MA. LOTS of construction going on downtown, and FWIW the man responsible for building up downtown Saratoga (Bonnacio) has now invested heavily in Troy.

Also, Brunswick is basically rural Troy, but you know this already. It's by no means downtown, but check out Pawling Ave area (you should drive around the neighborhoods as places may not be listed) especially now with students moving out. You should be able to find a place within your budget and be extremely close to downtown, plus you can take advantage of the back roads to VT and avoid Hoosick Street altogether.

and don't be afraid to stop into The Man of Kent whilst traveling home from work. fine food and drinks!

good luck, JJ!!

Thanks for all of the advice! We are leaning toward the square or riverfront in Troy, although we'd like to know more about what lies east of downtown along route 7. You mentioned the Pawling Ave. area -- is that an area with cafes, etc.? Also, there are many complexes and other rentals closer to Rt. 7 in Brunswick -- how is that area? Are the complexes and general area nice? We are not looking for Paradise-on-Earth as it seems elusive in the area... but would not like to be depressed by our surroundings! We know there is a perfect spot that balances proximity to Bennington, easy car access to Capital Region attractions (malls, restaurants, etc.), and a walkable neighborhood to live in that's safe, pleasant, and has a cafe or bakery or someplace to enjoy a Sunday walk... THANKS again to everyone who replied!

Old 04-18-2015, 08:09 AM

44 posts, read 77,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJehosaphat View Post
Thanks for all of the advice! We are leaning toward the square or riverfront in Troy, although we'd like to know more about what lies east of downtown along route 7. You mentioned the Pawling Ave. area -- is that an area with cafes, etc.? Also, there are many complexes and other rentals closer to Rt. 7 in Brunswick -- how is that area? Are the complexes and general area nice? We are not looking for Paradise-on-Earth as it seems elusive in the area... but would not like to be depressed by our surroundings! We know there is a perfect spot that balances proximity to Bennington, easy car access to Capital Region attractions (malls, restaurants, etc.), and a walkable neighborhood to live in that's safe, pleasant, and has a cafe or bakery or someplace to enjoy a Sunday walk... THANKS again to everyone who replied!
pawling ave & it's neighborhoods are extremely walkable as you'll most likely see people out all the time. towards the end of pawling, on congress st. is this joint The Cookie Factory | Troy, NY | Generations of Quality Baking, Retail and Wholesale | 518-268-1060, pretty sure you'll find something good in there. further up pawling is Carol's Place & The Eatery, i've never been, but people say the breakfasts are pretty solid. take a look on google maps at pawling and you'll see more of what's available. if you wanted to you could easily walk downtown from pawling as it's not that far at all, but it is uphill on the way home so you may want to grab a cab?

regarding complexes, i haven't much experience though there appears to be new construction going on in/around brunswick, but you'll not find neighborhoods with cafes, etc. unless the complex has some of their own on-site? i can tell you the views are sure to please as the area is rolling hills/farm country.

anywhere you choose to reside in the district will most likely have excellent car access, unless you're further out in the country.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Default Thanks for info -- one more question...

Thanks for the info on pawling ave and Brunswick! My wife and I just returned from a scouting trip to check out Troy and drive the potential commute to Bennington. We are still targeting downtown Troy, or if that doesn't work out we will likely settle for a boring (but with nice views!) complex in Brunswick. Questions prompted by the scouting trip:

-- our goal now is to look for renovated or updated or otherwise nice apartment buildings in downtown Troy, but some of the limited info is confusing that we have found. Anyone know any specific buildings that have apts (1 bedroom) for less than 1100 dollars in downtown Troy? The more nice and safe choices you supply the better if you wanna help us out! Thanks!

-- what about the Troy towers or the Caldwell apartments?

-- where is a good cafe for evening work catch-up? With wifi...

Thanks as always for your kind feedback and advice!

-JJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area