U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2015, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Albany, NY
44 posts, read 72,957 times
Reputation: 71

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojantruth View Post
You're clueless. First of all, people don't get social services benefits from the city of Troy. It's a county program. Second, please enlighten us on which benefits are allegedly better in Rensco vs. downstate. Hint: they aren't. It's CHEAPER to live upstate than downstate, and that's why they come. It's no different here than it is in Schenectady and Albany. And have you ever actually reviewed a city budget?? I don't think you have. If you have, you don't understand what you're reading. Get back to us after you've done some fact checking.


YOU'RE CLUELESS!! LEARN TO READ!

First of all I never said they get services from the city, I said that is where the county offices are located. so, you know, you're wrong there!

Second- here's your enlightenment I never said the benefits are better, I said they were easier to obtain. wow, again you're wrong!

Hint: try reading and comprehending the subject matter when you plan to have an informed debate/discussion because otherwise you just come off uneducated and angry

also, you have no idea what i do for a living, could i be involved in this topic first hand?? is it at all possible that i understand public policy, as well as budgetary issues??

but seriously, get back to me when you have a clue
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Woodhaven
14 posts, read 14,011 times
Reputation: 17
I lived on 4th Ave between 104th & 105th Streets and I thought the neighborhood was pretty nice back in 2010. Has it really changed that much? I was there about 3 months ago and I noticed the Pizza Hut went out of business. I know it wasn't technically burgh because it was 2 blocks from changing over to 12182 zip but it still seemed very residential. I was near the Riverview Funeral Home. I liked it back then and it seemed pretty nice, not much to do, but not a bad area. There was crime but not every other day. Maybe my block was just nicer than others but I did think the lower avenues 2nd and 3rd were nicer than 5th and 6th.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Albany, NY
44 posts, read 72,957 times
Reputation: 71
where did trojantruth go???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2015, 11:09 PM
 
6 posts, read 9,933 times
Reputation: 20
I get real tired of hearing all the excuses for why people waste their lives achieving nothing. They devote their lives to complaining about why everything bad in their lives is not their fault. Being a victim is the self-image of themselves they hold and to give it up and do something productive would take out the foundation of their lives. Could you ever imagine that they could possibly blame themselves for the sorry life they feel they have. Maybe if they stopped being crybabies and actually did something productive, they might even feel that elusive thrill from a sense of accomplishment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 AM
 
81,394 posts, read 109,257,520 times
Reputation: 17075
Interesting article about Troy: Troy an example of what Utica can become - News - Uticaod - Utica, NY
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 09:23 AM
 
4,345 posts, read 2,575,986 times
Reputation: 5804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is absurd.

The only reason Troy isn't dying is because it's already dead. There's Dinosaur Barbeque. That's the restaurant other than a couple of Italian places that will close when their octogenarian owners die. The housing is old except for a new condo development near Miami Beach. Some is quaint. Most is decrepit. The only decent jobs in Troy are the schools, RPI and the hospitals, which comprise 95% of the economy. Except for a pizza joints, convenience stores and a few here-today-gone-tomorrow boutique-y stores.

The days of Peerless, Denby's, not to mention Lord and Tan are over. The middle class has left and isn't coming back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 09:57 AM
 
81,394 posts, read 109,257,520 times
Reputation: 17075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
This is absurd.

The only reason Troy isn't dying is because it's already dead. There's Dinosaur Barbeque. That's the restaurant other than a couple of Italian places that will close when their octogenarian owners die. The housing is old except for a new condo development near Miami Beach. Some is quaint. Most is decrepit. The only decent jobs in Troy are the schools, RPI and the hospitals, which comprise 95% of the economy. Except for a pizza joints, convenience stores and a few here-today-gone-tomorrow boutique-y stores.

The days of Peerless, Denby's, not to mention Lord and Tan are over. The middle class has left and isn't coming back.
It appears that Downtown Troy is going through revitalization. So, people in Troy don't work in other industries?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 10:12 AM
 
255 posts, read 461,272 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
This is absurd.

The only reason Troy isn't dying is because it's already dead. There's Dinosaur Barbeque. That's the restaurant other than a couple of Italian places that will close when their octogenarian owners die. The housing is old except for a new condo development near Miami Beach. Some is quaint. Most is decrepit. The only decent jobs in Troy are the schools, RPI and the hospitals, which comprise 95% of the economy. Except for a pizza joints, convenience stores and a few here-today-gone-tomorrow boutique-y stores.

The days of Peerless, Denby's, not to mention Lord and Tan are over. The middle class has left and isn't coming back.
This may have described Troy in the 90s but that is not Troy's reality anymore.

"The only decent jobs in Troy are the schools, RPI and the hospitals"??? - What about the software developer Apprenda, which recently moved to Troy from Saratoga County and has almost 100 employees and growing? They said they moved because they wanted to be downtown and most of their employees were from Troy. Troys full of tech startups like that, but because you don't hear about them they don't count?

"There's Dinosaur Barbeque. That's the restaurant other than a couple of Italian places"??? - Leaving aside the fact that Troy has the largest farmers market in the Capital Region, it has the most popular wine bar, Ilium Cafe, Peck's Aracade just opened, The Shop just opened, The Whistling Kettle, Psyche-Delicatesson, Nibble Donuts, Bacchus, The Grocery, etc, etc. All of those are just is a 3 or 4 block radius of Monument Square. All of those are hardly "pizza joints" or "Italian places."

While you're correct in saying the housing in Troy is "old," why is that a bad thing? Most of the houses are renovated. Several of the old factories along the river have been converted to condos or apartments. Most of the large buildings downtown have businesses in the bottom and condos or apartments on top. Just because they're in "old" buildings they don't count? Does only perfectly new construction count?

Finally, according to the last census, Troys population rose and estimates have indicated that it will continue to rise.

So I'll just close by questioning if you've even been to Troy in the last 5 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2015, 02:02 PM
 
4,345 posts, read 2,575,986 times
Reputation: 5804
Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
This may have described Troy in the 90s but that is not Troy's reality anymore.

"The only decent jobs in Troy are the schools, RPI and the hospitals"??? - What about the software developer Apprenda, which recently moved to Troy from Saratoga County and has almost 100 employees and growing? They said they moved because they wanted to be downtown and most of their employees were from Troy. Troys full of tech startups like that, but because you don't hear about them they don't count?

"There's Dinosaur Barbeque. That's the restaurant other than a couple of Italian places"??? - Leaving aside the fact that Troy has the largest farmers market in the Capital Region, it has the most popular wine bar, Ilium Cafe, Peck's Aracade just opened, The Shop just opened, The Whistling Kettle, Psyche-Delicatesson, Nibble Donuts, Bacchus, The Grocery, etc, etc. All of those are just is a 3 or 4 block radius of Monument Square. All of those are hardly "pizza joints" or "Italian places."

While you're correct in saying the housing in Troy is "old," why is that a bad thing? Most of the houses are renovated. Several of the old factories along the river have been converted to condos or apartments. Most of the large buildings downtown have businesses in the bottom and condos or apartments on top. Just because they're in "old" buildings they don't count? Does only perfectly new construction count?

Finally, according to the last census, Troys population rose and estimates have indicated that it will continue to rise.

So I'll just close by questioning if you've even been to Troy in the last 5 years.
Those place come and go. Next year 20% of them will be gone, and some new fad places will move in. I can't count the number of places that have come and gone on 3rd St. between Fulton and Grand streets the last 10 years. They're all fad pottery places (one took our deposit, then disappeared), half-ass jewelry stores (one did a nice brooch for us but is gone now) or places you would buy clothing you'd never wear.

Businesses move to Troy because they're paid to move to Troy. When the money runs out, so do they.

If you're into that kind of thing, have at it. But a year from now the odds are the reason you moved there will be closed.

I was in Troy, let's see..I guess the last time was Thurs. or Fri. on Pinewoods Ave., Pawling, Congress, 15th, Burdette, etc. i.e., the nicer sections. I was also over on Oil Mill Hill which is ok on the top, not on the bottom. I'm not a big fan of Dinosaur BBQ (which opened there because the city gave them $1 million), so we don't frequent that section.

The eyeglass store my wife used to go to on the bottom of Jacob is still there but we don't go anymore because there was a murder across the street a month ago. Can't say that about the eyeglass place in Colonie.

There's nothing wrong with old housing providing it's properly maintained, which most of Troy's isn't. The reason it isn't is because the tenants destroy is faster than it can be repaired.

And I'll bet that in 10 year those condos start looking pretty tawdry, too. Last time it happened was on River near Congress right across from where Lew's Delicatessan used to be. That was in the 90's. By 2000 or so, they were pretty ugly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2015, 10:52 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 2,239,541 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Those place come and go. Next year 20% of them will be gone, and some new fad places will move in. I can't count the number of places that have come and gone on 3rd St. between Fulton and Grand streets the last 10 years. They're all fad pottery places (one took our deposit, then disappeared), half-ass jewelry stores (one did a nice brooch for us but is gone now) or places you would buy clothing you'd never wear.

Businesses move to Troy because they're paid to move to Troy. When the money runs out, so do they.

If you're into that kind of thing, have at it. But a year from now the odds are the reason you moved there will be closed.

I was in Troy, let's see..I guess the last time was Thurs. or Fri. on Pinewoods Ave., Pawling, Congress, 15th, Burdette, etc. i.e., the nicer sections. I was also over on Oil Mill Hill which is ok on the top, not on the bottom. I'm not a big fan of Dinosaur BBQ (which opened there because the city gave them $1 million), so we don't frequent that section.

The eyeglass store my wife used to go to on the bottom of Jacob is still there but we don't go anymore because there was a murder across the street a month ago. Can't say that about the eyeglass place in Colonie.

There's nothing wrong with old housing providing it's properly maintained, which most of Troy's isn't. The reason it isn't is because the tenants destroy is faster than it can be repaired.

And I'll bet that in 10 year those condos start looking pretty tawdry, too. Last time it happened was on River near Congress right across from where Lew's Delicatessan used to be. That was in the 90's. By 2000 or so, they were pretty ugly.
I agree. Don't pin your hopes on tech start-ups. The main criteria for location is cheap co-working space near a university. They burn bright and mostly burn out fast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top