Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is probably the same guy with a different name and it is sad that another poster is being selfish versus being helpful.
Dude, if you mean me, I post only under one reg. But thanks for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Latham and East Greenbush both have lots of apartments that are very reasonable, and both have good school districts. South Colonie is probably not quite as good as NC reputation-wise. I lived in the SC district when I lived in Albany, but I didn't have kids. NC has more professionals. SC has more blue/pink collar workers, and generally school reputations reflect the socioeconomic makeup of their communities.
South Colonie, I believe would still work, as it has been suggested on here in the past on a similar thread. It is still a good school district that is probably one of Upstate NY's most diverse suburban school districts and may be a good fit for the OP.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,839 times
I want to thank everyone for the information that has been provided. Now that I have something to go on, it gives me a little more to look up, research, and consider. Your links are helpful. For those talking about crime, the city I live in in NH was rated in the 10 worst of all cities in NH, so crime is everywhere. Regardless of taxes or crime, my children and I will be moving, where, I don't know. NY is not the only place I am considering at this point. I have time to think on that though since the plan is not to move for another 2 yrs or so. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to still comment as I will still be checking on this. Thanks again for the help!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Dude, if you mean me, I post only under one reg. But thanks for the suggestion.
"DUDE?" Really?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 PM

336 posts, read 716,310 times
Actually, I'm familiar with how NH works being I have family there and I've looked at real estate there often over the years. The property taxes are HIGH in NH. In addition, you have the personal property tax which last I heard was around 5% of the KBB value of each vehicle every year. That's crazy! There's also an eating out tax. When you compare them, I actually think we're cheaper here!!

As for schools, our agent had suggested Clifton Park, Ballston Spa, and Saratoga when we moved here 11 years ago. I'm glad we didn't go to CP...the schools are too big. I'm happy here in Ballston Spa. I just wish there were more opportunities for my husband because the pay hasn't been all that great compared to MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area