U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2015, 05:08 PM
 
33 posts, read 28,297 times
Reputation: 73

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to the Albany/Watervliet area this fall. My husband's job will be in Watervliet and will include quite a bit of travel around the area. My job will (hopefully, I am going to try and transfer) be in Albany. Our son is starting pre-k in the fall and will also need aftercare.
I am looking for a family friendly area with good schools. We are coming from the Atlanta area, but my husband is military and this is an area of the country we have never been stationed before. I am not a fan of cookie-cutter neighborhoods in suburbia, but if that is where the good schools are, so be it. I am more interested in finding a community with a nice downtown that has neighborhoods close by. We will be renting, and I think our range will be around $1700/month(this is flexible).
Does anywhere in the area meet this criteria? If not, where would you suggest that is kid friendly and a relatively short commute to both towns.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 PM
 
61,740 posts, read 87,239,875 times
Reputation: 13589
Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk, Watervliet, South Colonie, Cohoes, Berne-Knox-Westerlo and Albany are public districts with Universal Pre-K in Albany County. All except for South Colonie have a walkable village/city environment. Oddly enough, South Colonie may be the best district out of the bunch. RCS is probably next in line, with Watervliet and Cohoes being very similar small scale urban districts. Not sure about BKW.

I'd say coming from Atlanta, South Colonie is probably the best bet and perhaps look in the village of Colonie for maybe a happy medium. With that said, I'd check to see which program fits what you are looking for. Universal Prekindergarten - UPK| Cohoes City Schools

Universal Pre-K - Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk CSD, Ravena, NY

UPK home - South Colonie Central Schools - Colonie, NY

Universal Pre-Kindergarten Program - WCSD, Watervliet, NY

Albany City Schools, Student Registration, PreK

More info: AlbanyCAP.org - Albany Community Action Partnership -

Troy City, Lansingburgh, Tamarac(Brunswick) and Rensselaer City in Rensselaer County have Pre K programs. Schenectady City has a Pre K program as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-29-2015 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 08:31 PM
 
253 posts, read 412,675 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop1231 View Post
My family will be relocating to the Albany/Watervliet area this fall. My husband's job will be in Watervliet and will include quite a bit of travel around the area. My job will (hopefully, I am going to try and transfer) be in Albany. Our son is starting pre-k in the fall and will also need aftercare.
I am looking for a family friendly area with good schools. We are coming from the Atlanta area, but my husband is military and this is an area of the country we have never been stationed before. I am not a fan of cookie-cutter neighborhoods in suburbia, but if that is where the good schools are, so be it. I am more interested in finding a community with a nice downtown that has neighborhoods close by. We will be renting, and I think our range will be around $1700/month(this is flexible).
Does anywhere in the area meet this criteria? If not, where would you suggest that is kid friendly and a relatively short commute to both towns.

Thank you in advance.
Based on that criteria, budget, and the fact that you want to rent, I'd recommend Cohoes or Watervliet itself.

The "Harmony Mills Lofts" might be right up your alley. http://www.harmonymillslofts.com/2-b...millslofts.com

They're a series a old mills that were converted to very nice apartments and most units would rent around that $1700 amount, if not less. They're in Cohoes, so you get a more diverse, slightly urban environment, with a small downtown. Cohoes also is a good school district and is only a 20 minute drive to Albany.

Additionally, I know of an similar apartment complex in Watervliet that you can see here: School in the 1970s, apartments in 2012 - Times Union

Watervliet is very similar to Cohoes. It's slightly urban and has a good school district. It's a bit closer to Albany at a 15 minute drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 PM
 
2,303 posts, read 1,900,102 times
Reputation: 1527
Try Clifton Park. The commute will be better than in Atlanta (even down to Albany) and the schools will be a little below par compared Lovett and Pace but still much better than in Watervliet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 09:46 PM
 
61,740 posts, read 87,239,875 times
Reputation: 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Try Clifton Park. The commute will be better than in Atlanta (even down to Albany) and the schools will be a little below par compared Lovett and Pace but still much better than in Watervliet.
Shenendehowa doesn't have Pre-K. Lovett and Pace are private schools that are similar to Albany Academy or Doane Stuart.

This is another district that has Pre-K: Heatly School - Green Island Union Free School District, Green Island, NY It is so small that it is a K-12 school with just under 300 students. Here are some apartments in Green Island: River It is sandwiched in between Watervliet, Troy and Cohoes. It also has its own Power/Utility company that gets its power through NYPA. That means lower rates.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-29-2015 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM
 
33 posts, read 28,297 times
Reputation: 73
Thanks for all of your replies.
I have started looking at the school system links, very helpful. As I narrow it down I know I will have more specific questions, but you gave me a great place to start.
The lofts look amazing- we actually considered mill lofts when we moved to GA. You are correct- right up my alley.
I have one more question. Is renting a house as opposed to an apartment a difficult task in this area? I ask because as I am using my usual rental apps I am seeing a lot of apartments and not many houses. It really isn't practical for us to buy as we will only be living in the area for three years. And is $1700 a month a bit on the low side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 03:27 PM
 
61,740 posts, read 87,239,875 times
Reputation: 13589
This may help in terms of home rentals: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 06:45 PM
 
253 posts, read 412,675 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop1231 View Post
Thanks for all of your replies.
I have started looking at the school system links, very helpful. As I narrow it down I know I will have more specific questions, but you gave me a great place to start.
The lofts look amazing- we actually considered mill lofts when we moved to GA. You are correct- right up my alley.
I have one more question. Is renting a house as opposed to an apartment a difficult task in this area? I ask because as I am using my usual rental apps I am seeing a lot of apartments and not many houses. It really isn't practical for us to buy as we will only be living in the area for three years. And is $1700 a month a bit on the low side?
I wouldn't say that's low to rent a house. I wouldn't say it difficult, but you'll have to be a lot more flexible on where to live if you want to rent a house. Albany and Troy proper will have more of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 07:05 PM
 
327 posts, read 326,915 times
Reputation: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop1231 View Post
Thanks for all of your replies.
I have started looking at the school system links, very helpful. As I narrow it down I know I will have more specific questions, but you gave me a great place to start.
The lofts look amazing- we actually considered mill lofts when we moved to GA. You are correct- right up my alley.
I have one more question. Is renting a house as opposed to an apartment a difficult task in this area? I ask because as I am using my usual rental apps I am seeing a lot of apartments and not many houses. It really isn't practical for us to buy as we will only be living in the area for three years. And is $1700 a month a bit on the low side?

Good people in Water V, but its a dump to live in.

I would live in Saratoga and just do the drive, if you want to live in a great area. If you can't do the commute, then Latham/Loundonville is a great area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 PM
 
61,740 posts, read 87,239,875 times
Reputation: 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson702 View Post
Good people in Water V, but its a dump to live in.

I would live in Saratoga and just do the drive, if you want to live in a great area. If you can't do the commute, then Latham/Loundonville is a great area.
Both have UPK after all or it seems like it is an option: UPK Program Information

Community Announcements - North Colonie Central Schools - Latham, NY (look at the bottom)
Kids Express (appears to be private, but check to make sure)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top