U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 02:23 PM

132 posts, read 68,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of the Black workers in the area were in service/tourism based jobs in the city. So, they weren't going to have upper middle income.

I think with Global Foundries in nearby Malta, you may have some that work there, but live in Saratoga Springs.

Another thing people may not realize is that Saratoga Springs isn't the county seat for Saratoga County. Ballston Spa is and in turn, many government employees and services are based out that village.

It may have changed since you've been there, as Saratoga County is the fastest growing county in the state and there has been new development throughout the county.
I was there about a year ago. I don't think it's changed that much. A lot of the black population live in Jefferson Court/Section 8 housing in Saratoga. The majority of the "affluent" blacks in the town are those who visit during the racing season. There is a "hoity-toity" attitude in Saratoga. I'm not saying it's a really bad town, but it's not what they think it is, especially if you've traveled the way I have. They have fixed up downtown a bit more by renovating the Price Chopper off Church Street, adding a movie theater, a book store on Broadway (it was a shame when Border's left), and a few other new places. However, it's not a "beautiful" place by no means. North Broadway (or is it South) has some nice large houses/mansions, but nothing exceptional. It reminds me of an old western town back in the cowboy days. Ballston Spa never held any interest for me, though I visited a few times. I think the schools are OK though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 03:02 PM

59,379 posts, read 84,213,403 times
According to updated and recent census information(2010-2014) available, the median household income for SS is $67,303 and the median family income is $97,253. These figures are an average for these years.

It's most affluent census tract, according to the same information, had a median household income of $126,893. Within the tract, there is a census block group with a median household income of $143,056. This tract covers the far southern and eastern(east of I-87) portions of the city. That census block covers the area east of I-87. Median family income for this tract is $148,824 and for that census block group, it is $151,705. There are 2 or 3 other census block groups with median household incomes over $100,000 and several between $70,000 and $100,000.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-01-2016 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 05:33 PM

2,385 posts, read 5,198,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
The black population in Saratoga are rather poor or an underclass for sure.
Quick Wiki search. SS population 27,436. Black population, 1.7% black, meaning there are 466 people who identify themselves as black. Meaning you are likely to drive around or walk around town without seeing a black person.

But somehow, this poster can claim that blacks in Saratoga are rather poor or underclass. Really?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
According to updated and recent census information(2010-2014) available, the median household income for SS is $67,303 and the median family income is $97,253. These figures are an average for these years.

It's most affluent census tract, according to the same information, had a median household income of $126,893. Within the tract, there is a census block group with a median household income of $143,056. This tract covers the far southern and eastern(east of I-87) portions of the city. That census block covers the area east of I-87. Median family income for this tract is $148,824 and for that census block group, it is $151,705. There are 2 or 3 other census block groups with median household incomes over $100,000 and several between $70,000 and $100,000.
So....all of your figures don't change anything. Money doesn't necessarily mean quality! I lived there before...I know what I saw and experienced. Saratoga is not all that. It's not a beautiful city at all! I've been to over 20 different countries and many of the most beautiful cities in the world. They make Saratoga look like the average American ghetto! In fact there are cities right in the United States that Saratoga can't compete with. There's nothing beautiful about Saratoga Springs! It's average and once you turn off Broadway, it's sh*tsville!...LOL Believe me...I know what a beautiful city looks like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Quick Wiki search. SS population 27,436. Black population, 1.7% black, meaning there are 466 people who identify themselves as black. Meaning you are likely to drive around or walk around town without seeing a black person.

But somehow, this poster can claim that blacks in Saratoga are rather poor or underclass. Really?
I know what I saw....LOL You write "likely drive around and see"...you're guessing and assuming. I don't need Wiki search to verify my experience. The black population in Saratoga is not affluent! I'm not claiming anything, it's a fact! They don't even have a black hair salon in Saratoga for goodness sake!...

Old 01-02-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
So....all of your figures don't change anything. Money doesn't necessarily mean quality! I lived there before...I know what I saw and experienced. Saratoga is not all that. It's not a beautiful city at all! I've been to over 20 different countries and many of the most beautiful cities in the world. They make Saratoga look like the average American ghetto! In fact there are cities right in the United States that Saratoga can't compete with. There's nothing beautiful about Saratoga Springs! It's average and once you turn off Broadway, it's sh*tsville!...LOL Believe me...I know what a beautiful city looks like!

I know what I saw....LOL You write "likely drive around and see"...you're guessing and assuming. I don't need Wiki search to verify my experience. The black population in Saratoga is not affluent! I'm not claiming anything, it's a fact! They don't even have a black hair salon in Saratoga for goodness sake!...
I'm not saying that it equals quality and I don't think anyone is comparing Saratoga Springs to world class cities. Just on size alone, it would be a silly and pointless comparison. With that said, there is no denying that there are affluent areas of the city.

Also, I already mentioned aspects of the Black population in Saratoga Springs earlier in the thread and how much of it has scattered throughout the area. Much of the Black population is likely to be older and much of the Black middle class in Saratoga County is in the Shenendehowa SD.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-02-2016 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
. With that said, there is no denying that there are affluent areas of the city.
Every city has an "affluent" area. Even the most deadbeat, unimpressive cities! The point I'm making is that Saratoga is "not all that" and it's nothing special. Nothing you write will change my mind about that so you can stop right now. As one poster put it "Outside of a few eateries..most of the town is full of high priced mediocrity."

Quote:
Also, I already mentioned aspects of the Black population in Saratoga Springs earlier in the thread and how much of it has scattered throughout the area. Much of the Black population is likely to be older and much of the Black middle class in Saratoga County is in the Shenendehowa SD.
You mention "black middle class" in Saratoga County. For goodness sake, there isn't even a black hair salon in Saratoga! Cut it out....LOL Blacks are only 2.6% of the population anyways and Saratoga's "claim to fame" as far as relating to black people is the former slave Northup. I'm not judging whether this is "good or bad." I'm just saying that there is no affluent black population in Saratoga Springs...period, and there's nothing wrong with that! So, you can stop trying to convince me otherwise. I know what I saw and experienced.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Every city has an "affluent" area. Even the most deadbeat, unimpressive cities! The point I'm making is that Saratoga is "not all that" and it's nothing special. Nothing you write will change my mind about that so you can stop right now. As one poster put it "Outside of a few eateries..most of the town is full of high priced mediocrity."

You mention "black middle class" in Saratoga County. For goodness sake, there isn't even a black hair salon in Saratoga! Cut it out....LOL Blacks are only 2.6% of the population anyways and Saratoga's "claim to fame" as far as relating to black people is the former slave Northup. I'm not judging whether this is "good or bad." I'm just saying that there is no affluent black population in Saratoga Springs...period, and there's nothing wrong with that! So, you can stop trying to convince me otherwise. I know what I saw and experienced.
What does a Black hair salon have to do with a Black middle class? There are a couple of churches and a social club, an inactive NAACP chapter, but due to gentrification around Congress Street, much of the Black population has scattered. That doesn't mean that there aren't any middle class Black people in the area, nor am I trying to tell you anything, as many worked service jobs. I'm just explaining what has gone on in terms of the Black population there.

Within the Shenendehowa SD to the south, the Black median household income is about $81,000, according to 2010-2014 census info. There are about 1100 Black residents in that district, not including those that are part Black. Its school superintendent is Black, by the way(Dr. L. Oliver Robinson). So, there is a Black middle income presence in Saratoga County and may be where many of the Black middle income residents of Saratoga Springs moved to, but is only speculation on my part. However, the median income and school superintendent info isn't speculation.

As for the affluent areas, those areas are actually more affluent than the most affluent areas of any other Upstate NY cities and likely a similar type of city in the Northeast, if not the country adjusting for COL. Again, this is to put things into perspective rather than to convince anyone of anything.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-02-2016 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 03:22 PM

5,916 posts, read 13,587,648 times
Quote:
I was there about a year ago. I don't think it's changed that much. A lot of the black population live in Jefferson Court/Section 8 housing in Saratoga. The majority of the "affluent" blacks in the town are those who visit during the racing season. There is a "hoity-toity" attitude in Saratoga. I'm not saying it's a really bad town, but it's not what they think it is, especially if you've traveled the way I have. They have fixed up downtown a bit more by renovating the Price Chopper off Church Street, adding a movie theater, a book store on Broadway (it was a shame when Border's left), and a few other new places. However, it's not a "beautiful" place by no means. North Broadway (or is it South) has some nice large houses/mansions, but nothing exceptional. It reminds me of an old western town back in the cowboy days. Ballston Spa never held any interest for me, though I visited a few times. I think the schools are OK though.
We have travelled the world, lived in foreign countries, lived in several states in the US and when we retired settled in the Town of Saratoga. It is in Saratoga Country about 10 miles outside of Saratoga Springs. We love the area, the people and the beauty of the Adirondacks. Saratoga Springs is a tourist and college town, plain and simple. The large homes are beautiful and Congress Park is lovely. The Children's Museum is a great place to take our grandchildren and the Military Museum is a very interesting house. I could not relate to Saratoga Springs by what you have written. Your description left me shaking my head and wondering. IMO your observations are extremely different than those of us that live there.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Again, this is to put things into perspective rather than to convince anyone of anything.
LOLOL...I don't need you to put things into perspective for me. It doesn't change anything! You are really reaching for straws too...LOL an "inactive NAACP"...thanks for the laugh! I mention black hair salons because the black population in Saratoga is basically mute. Any place that has a decent black population or if that population is represented will definitely have a black hair salon. I'm in one of the Top 5 best countries in the world to live...the US doesn't even come close. Even the alleyways here make Saratoga look like a ghetto! ..LOL Where I am is stunningly beautiful and superb quality I wouldn't settle for anything less...and there are black hair salons here too!...LOL Saratoga doesn't even have one!!! It seems that whites can get along with blacks in Saratoga as long as black people "stay in their place." So we can agree to disagree. This is my last reply to you. I don't have anymore time to go back and forth with you about little Saratoga...GOOD BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We have travelled the world, lived in foreign countries, lived in several states in the US and when we retired settled in the Town of Saratoga. It is in Saratoga Country about 10 miles outside of Saratoga Springs. We love the area, the people and the beauty of the Adirondacks. Saratoga Springs is a tourist and college town, plain and simple. The large homes are beautiful and Congress Park is lovely. The Children's Museum is a great place to take our grandchildren and the Military Museum is a very interesting house. I could not relate to Saratoga Springs by what you have written. Your description left me shaking my head and wondering. IMO your observations are extremely different than those of us that live there.
You "claim" to have traveled the world and lived in foreign countries and Saratoga is the best you can do? ...BWAHAHA what a joke! This is a waste of my time...Good Bye!

Last edited by Propop; 01-02-2016 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
LOLOL...I don't need you to put things into perspective for me. It doesn't change anything! You are really reaching for straws too...LOL an "inactive NAACP"...thanks for the laugh! I mention black hair salons because the black population in Saratoga is basically mute. Any place that has a decent black population or if that population is represented will definitely have a black hair salon. I'm in one of the Top 5 best countries in the world to live...the US doesn't even come close. Even the alleyways here make Saratoga look like a ghetto! ..LOL Where I am is stunningly beautiful and superb quality I wouldn't settle for anything less...and there are black hair salons here too!...LOL Saratoga doesn't even have one!!! It seems that whites can get along with blacks in Saratoga as long as black people "stay in their place." So we can agree to disagree. This is my last reply to you. I don't have anymore time to go back and forth with you about little Saratoga...GOOD BYE!

You "claim" to have traveled the world and lived in foreign countries and Saratoga is the best you can do? ...BWAHAHA what a joke! This is a waste of my time...Good Bye!
Having a Black hair salon isn't the "be all, end all" and the Black population is a matter of being scattered, not mute. With all of this said, this is C-D. So, no surprises in terms of odd posts.

This may help explain some things: Photographer's work captures Saratoga Springs' history

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2016 at 12:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or