Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:57 PM

9,300 posts, read 16,593,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
LOLOL...I don't need you to put things into perspective for me. It doesn't change anything! You are really reaching for straws too...LOL an "inactive NAACP"...thanks for the laugh! I mention black hair salons because the black population in Saratoga is basically mute. Any place that has a decent black population or if that population is represented will definitely have a black hair salon. I'm in one of the Top 5 best countries in the world to live...the US doesn't even come close. Even the alleyways here make Saratoga look like a ghetto! ..LOL Where I am is stunningly beautiful and superb quality I wouldn't settle for anything less...and there are black hair salons here too!...LOL Saratoga doesn't even have one!!! It seems that whites can get along with blacks in Saratoga as long as black people "stay in their place." So we can agree to disagree. This is my last reply to you. I don't have anymore time to go back and forth with you about little Saratoga...GOOD BYE!

You "claim" to have traveled the world and lived in foreign countries and Saratoga is the best you can do? ...BWAHAHA what a joke! This is a waste of my time...Good Bye!
Yes courtesy of Uncle Sam I traveled the world and lived in foreign countries. I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. Maybe you would like living in Russia. IMO CT is a lot of snobs and idiot drivers. Goodbye. Oh, by the way, after looking through posts that you have made to the various forums the majority of them are negative. Sounds like you are a very unhappy person.

Last edited by Ellwood; 01-03-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 03:56 PM

640 posts, read 2,003,728 times
Saratoga Springs is a sort of a flimsy Northampton attempting to have a touch of Tanglewood...
The winter has Cafe Lena, Northshire, and the Tang...all else in this town pales. Style over substance..Webster's Definition.

To the folks who asked me if I'm just bashing Saratoga. I've lived in CT, DC, NYC, and Baltimore. So my perspective is pretty keen and I've traveled extensively. CTThankgod doesn't live in Saratoga....it's pretty obvious. I live here because it's close to the mountains, outdoor activities, job and easy access to my camp up north. Connecticut will be my always be my "home" at heart...but God is it ever in decline.

Last edited by JiminCT; 01-03-2016 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 04:10 PM

92,185 posts, read 122,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Saratoga Springs is a flimsy Northampton attempting to have a touch of Tanglewood...it's FLIMSY.
Saratoga Springs isn't a college town like Northampton and has a higher median and mean family income.

SPAC appears to offer a wider range of events, while Tanglewood is owned by the Boston Symphony Orchestra. So, they appear to serve somewhat different purposes. I'm not trying to argue, but just giving an idea of what is being compared. Events at SPAC | SPAC

https://www.bso.org/brands/tanglewoo...ileLandingPage

Old 01-03-2016, 04:45 PM

150 posts, read 299,050 times
Saratoga Springs is a college town.. it has Skidmore and SUNY Empire State College.. Northhampton basically has Smith College. Not sure what you mean that SS isn't a college town like Northhampton..

Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally29 View Post
Saratoga Springs is a college town.. it has Skidmore and SUNY Empire State College.. Northhampton basically has Smith College. Not sure what you mean that SS isn't a college town like Northhampton..
Saratoga Springs isn't viewed strictly as a college town like Northampton, which also has 4 other colleges/universities in its area(look up the 5 colleges consortium). SS is like Syracuse, which has a college neighborhood/area, but isn't a "college town".

Empire State has 35 locations and is online. So, its total enrollment includes all of those students. Skidmore has about 2700 students.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2016 at 07:13 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 PM

150 posts, read 299,050 times
I know as I went to one of the 5 colleges and work at ESC. The bulk of ESC faculty and staff are in SS. As another poster said SS is "a college and tourist town."

Old 01-03-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally29 View Post
I know as I went to one of the 5 colleges and work at ESC. The bulk of ESC faculty and staff are in SS. As another poster said SS is "a college and tourist town."
Perhaps I should have said strictly viewed as a college town.

How many of the full time 12,000 undergrad and grad students that ESC has attend class in Saratoga Springs or is that just the enrollment in SS?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2016 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 03:08 AM

334 posts, read 186,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Yes courtesy of Uncle Sam I traveled the world and lived in foreign countries. I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. Maybe you would like living in Russia. IMO CT is a lot of snobs and idiot drivers. Goodbye. Oh, by the way, after looking through posts that you have made to the various forums the majority of them are negative. Sounds like you are a very unhappy person.
OK...I'll bite for the last time...LOL...first of all traveling with the US military and living somewhere on your own accord is TOTALLY different. The experience is completely on another level. You can't even compare! You were "stationed" under the instruction of the United States in a foreign country with the US military. That's not "living" in another country." (You might want to call it "occupying another country though)

When you "live" in another country you take on certain responsibilities independently such as finding employment and housing, paying bills, finding schools for your children (not schools supplied by the US military), dealing with visas and work permits if you are not also a citizen of the country, ALL ON YOUR OWN etc...You're not "living" in another country when traveling with the US military you are "stationed" there, many times against the other country's will. Let's see you need a Government ID card, the government nearly reimburses you for everything if you are a "civilian employee," you get an AAFES card, you get an APO address and if you are stationed near or in Stuttgart Germany for instance, there is an American clinic, a base commissary, and the list goes on. That's being in a "bubble."

Where have you been the usual? Iraq, Afghanistan...places no one wants to visit or live. Japan, South Korea maybe? You wouldn't know what to do "on your own" in those countries! I've been to over 20 different countries ON MY OWN without permission and under the "tuteladge" of Uncle Sam...LOL. I speak three different languages, two of them fluently through motivation and wanting to understand the society better. You don't have that motivation in the military. That type of motivation comes from "living" in a place NOT being "stationed" on or near a US military base....LOL But anyways....have fun in Saratoga at the Military Museum and the Children's Museum.... There are certainly MUCH BETTER places to live in the United States. However, it's your choice. Just don't try to make Saratoga into a metropolitan city when it's only a "little frog in a big pond."

And by the way....you might want to change your stance on Russia. The military brainwashing has worked well on you I see, but there comes a time you must "step out on your own." Russia is a beautiful country. It has bad parts the same as the United States...no different. Putin is more respected than Obama around the world! And they have a leader who "loves" the country,which is something America needs very badly right now. ..I'm done now it's GOOD BYE for real this time...LOL...Ciao

Old 01-04-2016, 05:01 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,593,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
OK...I'll bite for the last time...LOL...first of all traveling with the US military and living somewhere on your own accord is TOTALLY different. The experience is completely on another level. You can't even compare! You were "stationed" under the instruction of the United States in a foreign country with the US military. That's not "living" in another country." (You might want to call it "occupying another country though)

When you "live" in another country you take on certain responsibilities independently such as finding employment and housing, paying bills, finding schools for your children (not schools supplied by the US military), dealing with visas and work permits if you are not also a citizen of the country, ALL ON YOUR OWN etc...You're not "living" in another country when traveling with the US military you are "stationed" there, many times against the other country's will. Let's see you need a Government ID card, the government nearly reimburses you for everything if you are a "civilian employee," you get an AAFES card, you get an APO address and if you are stationed near or in Stuttgart Germany for instance, there is an American clinic, a base commissary, and the list goes on. That's being in a "bubble."

Where have you been the usual? Iraq, Afghanistan...places no one wants to visit or live. Japan, South Korea maybe? You wouldn't know what to do "on your own" in those countries! I've been to over 20 different countries ON MY OWN without permission and under the "tuteladge" of Uncle Sam...LOL. I speak three different languages, two of them fluently through motivation and wanting to understand the society better. You don't have that motivation in the military. That type of motivation comes from "living" in a place NOT being "stationed" on or near a US military base....LOL But anyways....have fun in Saratoga at the Military Museum and the Children's Museum.... There are certainly MUCH BETTER places to live in the United States. However, it's your choice. Just don't try to make Saratoga into a metropolitan city when it's only a "little frog in a big pond."

And by the way....you might want to change your stance on Russia. The military brainwashing has worked well on you I see, but there comes a time you must "step out on your own." Russia is a beautiful country. It has bad parts the same as the United States...no different. Putin is more respected than Obama around the world! And they have a leader who "loves" the country,which is something America needs very badly right now. ..I'm done now it's GOOD BYE for real this time...LOL...Ciao
Ha! HA! You couldn't resist...nothing like someone that ALWAYS has to have the last word!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 17,589 times
LOL how the hell did we end up talking about Russia?

Everything is relative. We are not comparing SS to Vienna or Rome. Not even Boston or San Francisco. It's a tiny city...in upstate NY for God's sake. Compared to anything near it, it's pretty nice. Certain posters seem to feel the need to flaunt their extensive travel experience as if they are the only ones who have ever gone anywhere. They only prove their arrogance rather than adding anything useful to the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area