U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 08:12 AM

570 posts, read 1,714,820 times

Advertisements

Oh people...contrary to what you might think, this town is the Marty McGillicuddy version of Northampton. I just realized that most people who tout this town are parochial locals, along with a lot of suburban Long Island/NJ who basically love the label of Saratoga. I don't know how to explain it to people outside of this area, but horseracing is a sleazy, corrupt cesspool that draws a lot of equally shady people to the track. It's not even an affluent town...relative to even some of the Rochester burbs and certainly Hartford. The east side of town is the epicenter for boorish rubes in raised ranches and a nice swath of section 8 housing near the track. Most of the eateries are high priced mediocrity? Lets debate this topic...because the folks running the tourist bureau certainly paint this town to be something it really isnt. It's the same group of people who go to Hilton Head and Newport. Parochial khaki wearing piggy faced wannabes with wives with hats that in any other world would get them laughed out of the room. Booooring!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 02:08 PM

146 posts, read 225,486 times
I hate to agree with you but I do. I've been living up here for 8 years and can't wait to leave. this can be a good place for families with young children but if you are not from here and/or a single person (not of college age) .. stay away.
Pros: good public schools, lots of activities for kids and families, pretty town, not much crime,near the ADKs, nice State Park, SPAC in summer
Cons: the "natives" of Saratoga Springs tend to be very conservative, drink a lot, not well educated, and tend to be affluent only because they made, money off the real estate market here as they have property from way back. Too far from NYC or Boston ( 3 hrs each way driving) to do something for the day, Amtrack from SS takes forever so you have to drive to Albany for the train ( at least $80 each way), not much to do day-today, harsh winters ( many of the older "natives" get out of here in the winter).
Anyway, as you can see there are pros and cons but once my son is done with high school I can't wait to get out of here. It is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live here...

Old 12-20-2015, 04:13 PM

Also forgot to add that the health care up here isn't great.. people have to go Albany Med - which isn't that close - for serious things..my experience is that the docs up here are mediocre..good luck if you get really sick up here..

Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 AM

112 posts, read 178,032 times
First is "Marty McGillicuddy" a well-known reference? I had to google it and still came up with nothing. All the name-calling aside, there is some veracity to your post and even if you're trolling, I'll bite. In the capital region, Saratoga is the most accessible "scene" in the area. You visit because you can bar hop and eat at "mediocre" restaurants in a clean and relatively stylish city for upstate New York. I'm sure there are better alternatives for quality of food or hipness of microbrews, but in the end, if a group of people are seeking a close getaway where they can have a fun night out, Saratoga will always top the list.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 7,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Oh people...contrary to what you might think, this town is the Marty McGillicuddy version of Northampton. I just realized that most people who tout this town are parochial locals, along with a lot of suburban Long Island/NJ who basically love the label of Saratoga. I don't know how to explain it to people outside of this area, but horseracing is a sleazy, corrupt cesspool that draws a lot of equally shady people to the track. It's not even an affluent town...relative to even some of the Rochester burbs and certainly Hartford. The east side of town is the epicenter for boorish rubes in raised ranches and a nice swath of section 8 housing near the track. Most of the eateries are high priced mediocrity? Lets debate this topic...because the folks running the tourist bureau certainly paint this town to be something it really isnt. It's the same group of people who go to Hilton Head and Newport. Parochial khaki wearing piggy faced wannabes with wives with hats that in any other world would get them laughed out of the room. Booooring!
Quite a pretentious post there mate. First, SS is a very small city so you can't even compare with a place like Hartford. Even so, the latter has far more boorish (and dangerous) neighborhoods than the former. Rochester? Who the hell wants to live out there? Indeed perhaps certain people like to blow SS out of proportion but relative to anything near it, it's not bad. It's a quaint, walkable town and a decent place to raise a family. I'm not into horse racing so I won't disagree with you there although it is good for the economy.

PS- Not sure what you mean by "sophisticated" but it certainly is not synonymous with affluent. In fact most affluent places in the US are not sophisticated at all.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:32 PM

252 posts, read 374,495 times
Quote:
Let's take this one at a time....

"It's not even an affluent town...relative to even some of the Rochester burbs and certainly Hartford."

You mean the City of Hartford, Connecticut? Where the Median Household Income is $30,000? FYI the Median Household Income in Saratoga Springs is $67,000. Also, considering Hartford is about an 8 times bigger than Saratoga in population, I'm not surprised it has greater wealth in some areas.

"...Section 8 housing near the track...."

Have you seen where the track is? There's no section 8 housing anywhere near there.

"...khaki wearing piggy faced wannabes with wives with hats..."

This is how most of the country would describe the entirety of Connecticut.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:07 AM

570 posts, read 1,714,820 times
Compare Avon CT, Pittsford NY, or Simsbury to Saratoga....it's relatively impoverished. Check the mean income for a family if you thing I'm blowing smoke.

Section 8 is 4 blocks from the track...you just choose not to see it. Right near Crescent.

Connecticut has more diversity in 3 blocks of New Haven than Saratoga has in the whole town.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:06 AM

52,609 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Compare Avon CT, Pittsford NY, or Simsbury to Saratoga....it's relatively impoverished. Check the mean income for a family if you thing I'm blowing smoke.

Section 8 is 4 blocks from the track...you just choose not to see it. Right near Crescent.

Connecticut has more diversity in 3 blocks of New Haven than Saratoga has in the whole town.
According to 08-12 census info, family median income in Saratoga Springs was $91,392 and the mean(average) family income was $114,560. Both are well above the state level for both categories and the state figures are above the national figures.

Also, keep in mind that Saratoga Springs is a "city" and actually had/has a long time Black population that goes back at least a couple of centuries. In fact, its Black percentage was actually higher in the late 1800's/early 1900's than it is now. Urban renewal and gentrification to the Congress Street area, where the Black population was and to a lesser degree is concentrated, may have something to do with that in recent years. Memories and Preservation at the Frederick Allen Lodge in Saratoga Springs, New York - Engaged Anthropology at Skidmore College

Going west: Saratoga to celebrate its neighborhood heritage

12 Years a Slave spotlights Saratoga's black history - Times Union

Also, I would compare Saratoga Springs to say a similar sized CT city like Torrington in regards to diversity, not New Haven.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 PM

There are extremes in SS, a lot of money but also a lot of mobile home parks nearby..

Saratoga County NY Mobile Homes & Manufactured Homes For Sale - 19 Homes | Zillow

Old 12-27-2015, 05:31 PM

11 posts, read 11,397 times
So - so far as I can tell, no one had been particularly discussing Saratoga Springs, the OP felt like going on the attack, so he hauled out a three year old post and then started this one, purely to insult the residents of SS, and the "piggy-faced" tourists (whatever that is supposed to mean - he uses the term in both posts.)

OK - add another to my growing list of trolls to ignore...

(This is the oddest forum. People seem to hang out on the boards here for no reason than to attack other people and their neighborhoods, frequently in places they have never lived themselves...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or