Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,799,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It looks like in the areas listed in both of those counties are pretty rural and have higher home median prices than the places with higher tax rates.

I'm not sure about why Binghamton is that high.
True, though Queensbury seems to be an exception at only $12.93 per $1000 and not all that rural. So, people who have more money to buy the average house in Q-bury at $217k will only pay $2,800 a year, and people who have to live in Binghamton will pay $89k and $4900 in taxes. Just seems backward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 PM

885 posts, read 1,159,237 times
Never lived in Saratoga but the next county east. I don't believe Saratoga Springs has any bad areas. The whole place is nice, however some ppl say to stay away from the college areas because of just the college kid crowd trouble making. I don't know. However, I think you'll love the area.

Try Wilton, just north of Saratoga Sps. (by the mall), or Noththumberland, Grangerville, Schuylerville, east of SS. OR cross the river, past Schuylerville (into Washington Cty) into Greenwich (pronounced Green Witch), home of the Washington Cty fair. Cute little town.

Anything along the Rt 9 corridor is safe and nice. Southwest is Ballston Spa-(along Rt 50) Saratoga's little sister and home to the Saratoga Cty fair. Again a cute little town.

BTW Saratoga is the major shopping area around there and is great for shopping and restaurants. Plenty to do. And the hospital is a great hospital. Albany is about 40 miles south. Pm me if you want/ need more info. I'll help if I can.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:18 PM

885 posts, read 1,159,237 times
BTW- we are also from LI- Sayville. Been here since 2000.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:16 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,593,074 times
This link can help you look at taxes in Saratoga County. http://saratoga.sdgnys.com/index.aspx

Old 07-18-2016, 01:26 PM

137 posts, read 108,953 times
Malta is a nice area as wel . Small village just below sarstoga and just above Clifton park has all the shopping and restaurants you need in both directions less than 20 minutes and you 5 minutes tops from the northway

Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM

59 posts, read 76,135 times
Thank you all for your help and replies. We went up to that area a few weeks ago and just browsed (briefly due to other commitments) but plan on going up again the next couple of weeks to visit different areas, speak to some people, etc.. I'm obviously anticipating visiting more and more to get a feel for things even if it's just for a long weekend.

When we were up there recently, a few family friends who made a similar move (not necessarily to Saratoga but around that area) a long time ago said it's a great move to make especially with children and being able to provide them a better life. This really hit me hard as we realize that it's a big move but long term financially we would be better off.

Our combined income would be considered a little above average and it's crazy that we really can't get ahead down here..factor in children (daycare, etc..) and it drives me insane. We would be able to get by, but obviously would do better up there and we would have family to help a little with daycare (we don't have close family here that we could ask to help)

Which brings me to jobs. We both have good jobs, and would both have to find new ones up in the capital region. I know it's been done before, but what did everyone else do? Was it that people started looking early, later, just take what you can get for the time being? I'm in finance (banking and investing) and who you know is important but wanted to hear from people who have experienced a move like this.

Just wanted to throw these things out there and everyone has been very helpful- it's appreciated.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 PM

336 posts, read 713,638 times
I just learned from a teen that I work with that Saratoga Springs do nothing about bullying...I'm talking threatening someone's life. An adult overheard us and said that her friend used to drive a bus for them and quit because if kids get into a fight, he wasn't allowed to say ANYTHING, much less pull them apart. Forget that. I know kids will be kids, but Ballston Spa doesn't accept bullying at all. It makes it very hard because we need a bigger house with more land and that is becoming hard to find in Ballston Spa, especially in the specific elementary school we want to stay in.

As for driving anywhere, I don't usually leave the town. I don't have to.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:45 AM

59 posts, read 76,135 times
Just got back from another weekend here, and have cruised the neighborhoods, looked at homes for sale (even though we will probably rent first but just to get an idea) and think we want to give this a shot. Just worried about the job market up there (I'm in financial services - management and wife is in creative design). Any ideas (besides linked in) on how to go about this with a loose deadline of about two years or so?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:16 AM

150 posts, read 299,050 times
That is exciting news! There are several advertising agencies in Saratoga Springs which might be relevant for your wife, including Fingerpaint which is one of the premier businesses in upstate. I've included some links below that might be of help..

Saratoga County Prosperity Partnership | NYSEDC

Saratoga JobZone

Fingerpaint | Marketing Agency

Old 08-12-2016, 11:53 AM

92,184 posts, read 122,439,279 times
This may help as well: Finance jobs in Saratoga Springs, NY - Indeed Mobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area