U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:48 PM

54 posts, read 42,194 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Early 30's couple that will be starting a family and thinking about moving out of LI to possibly Saratoga Area. She grew up in the Lake George area,has family there and I have lived in Long Island my whole life, but getting sick of the cost of living here. We can make it financially, but have recently been discussing a relocation in the next year or so. I've read some of the forums about it being a great place to live generally, but wanted to ask some questions.

I see the downtown area is on Broadway and near Washington (Correct me if I am wrong). How are the homes in that vicinity? Any particular neighborhoods (please name streets or landmarks if possible) that I should steer away from, look more closely at? We have a home in LI at around the 400k range, paying around 11k in taxes. I have seen homes there in the 200-300k range, and we would get a good sized home, with decent taxes.

As for jobs, that would be the most important thing but would have to start a serious search if we decided to definitely do this.

This is just the beginning of our talks about this, so not sure where this will head in the next year or so, but wanted to get a discussion going.

Any other advice of nearby neighborhoods to look at would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 04:44 PM

143 posts, read 217,432 times
Anywhere in Saratoga Springs is just fine.. lots of building going on here ..you might want to also look at Wilton which is right next to SS .. many families with kids, large homes and lots.. probably get more for your money..this is a very family friendly area with lots for kids to do and excellent and safe public schools.. I'm sure you'v been up here but might be worth contacting a realtor to see what your money can buy.. wish you all the best!!

Old 06-04-2016, 04:52 PM

Below is a link on relocating here with information on the different neighborhoods..

Saratoga Neighborhood Guide | East Side in Saratoga Springs NY, West Side, North Broadway, Union Ave & More

Old 06-05-2016, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the reply! Thinking a little more about this, I am trying to avoid being somewhere where you need to drive 20 mins to get a gallon of milk(I'm exxagerating but you know what I mean), and for that matter, wouldn't mind having neighbors or being apart of a good community while being in close proximity to the downtown area.

I'm in finance (specifically investing;management) and wife is in graphic design, so would need to speak to some head hunters, locals that could recommend ways to get 'in' in regards to finding a career there for the both of us, but myself particularly.

Any recommendations?

Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 AM

50,340 posts, read 72,315,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7613 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Thinking a little more about this, I am trying to avoid being somewhere where you need to drive 20 mins to get a gallon of milk(I'm exxagerating but you know what I mean), and for that matter, wouldn't mind having neighbors or being apart of a good community while being in close proximity to the downtown area.

I'm in finance (specifically investing;management) and wife is in graphic design, so would need to speak to some head hunters, locals that could recommend ways to get 'in' in regards to finding a career there for the both of us, but myself particularly.

Any recommendations?
There are recommendations earlier in the thread. I guess that Ballston Spa and Schuylerville are villages that could also work.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:59 AM

I know - was asking basically for anyone else's opinion/recommendations. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2016, 02:24 PM

5,632 posts, read 12,499,509 times
We live in the Town of Saratoga aka Schuylerville or Quaker Springs (Saratoga County). We are in the rural area about 10 miles outside of Saratoga Springs. Schuylerville school district is excellent. We are approximately 4 miles from getting milk. IMO the areas that you might consider with a young family would would be Wilton, Ballston Spa, Clifton Park. AFA job opportunities you might look into the Albany area. Also the newspaper from the area might provide some information for you (Times-Union). The commute to Albany is really no big deal, especially coming from LI. Yes, the traffic slows down on the Northway, but it is not the bumper to bumper nightmare that I was used to (NJ).

The area in Saratoga Springs around Lake Avenue school is a nice area you might look into.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We live in the Town of Saratoga aka Schuylerville or Quaker Springs (Saratoga County). We are in the rural area about 10 miles outside of Saratoga Springs. Schuylerville school district is excellent. We are approximately 4 miles from getting milk. IMO the areas that you might consider with a young family would would be Wilton, Ballston Spa, Clifton Park. AFA job opportunities you might look into the Albany area. Also the newspaper from the area might provide some information for you (Times-Union). The commute to Albany is really no big deal, especially coming from LI. Yes, the traffic slows down on the Northway, but it is not the bumper to bumper nightmare that I was used to (NJ).

The area in Saratoga Springs around Lake Avenue school is a nice area you might look into.
Great- I appreciate the reply especially from someone that came from almost the same area. As for traffic, lol like you said we are used to it taking an hour or more to go somewhere it should only take 15-20 mins. For jobs, I'm going to keep doing research but would appreciate it if anyone has any other useful suggestions.

What are the property taxes like around those areas generally? We are going up to Lake George during the 4th of July weekend and will make a stop in SS and a few towns briefly.

Anything else you or others can suggest or add onto the conversation? Doesn't have to necessarily be about housing, but maybe things to expect when moving from a place like LI, etc.. I've been reading through a lot of the forums so that has been helpful.

Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 AM

I also used to live in Long Island as well, now live in Saratoga Springs per my prior posting. The taxes there are outrageous and Saratoga County taxes are nothing like that. There is a link below. I believe the taxes are lower in Saratoga Springs than some of the surrounding communities but nowhere up here is like Long Island.

Saratoga County New York – Tax Rates

Old 06-06-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally29 View Post
I also used to live in Long Island as well, now live in Saratoga Springs per my prior posting. The taxes there are outrageous and Saratoga County taxes are nothing like that. There is a link below. I believe the taxes are lower in Saratoga Springs than some of the surrounding communities but nowhere up here is like Long Island.

Saratoga County New York Tax Rates
Thanks! Realistically we may here for another 1-2yrs (financial reasons) but this definitely helps. How long ago did you move up? Did it take awhile to get adjusted? One reason why we would choose Saratoga is to stay in somewhat of a 'city' environment but it's always good to know from someone else's perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or