Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 10:14 PM

546 posts, read 759,637 times

Advertisements

Living City of Albany? Near Capital District? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:01 AM

92,190 posts, read 122,439,279 times
It will probably depend on the type of neighborhood you are looking for.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 AM

233 posts, read 316,137 times
Being car-less in the City of Albany is definitely do-able. My mother doesn't drive-never has and gets around just fine. With that being said, you need to make sure you pick an area of the city to live in that's on the main bus route and within walking distance to basic amenities ( grocery store etc.). My parents live in the Pine Hills neighborhood of the city and they selected that area for it's walkability, close amenities and on the main bus routes. (Madison Ave, Washington Ave, Central Ave)

From my understanding, the buses run every 15 mins- and are pretty reliable. The challenge my mom faces most is dealing with the cold and snow during the winter.

I'm happy to help make suggestions on areas to start your search, but will need to know more from you. I assume your trying to be close to work(?) If so, what area is the job located in?
etc...

Old 07-07-2016, 12:14 PM

82 posts, read 90,353 times
You can survive in Albany without a car, but I would rather have a car in Albany.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,024,181 times
I'm another one with a mother in Albany that doesn't drive. Also the Pine Hills area. She gets around pretty well using the CDTA buses. This is purely my observation and not based on proven fact but it seems it's much easier to go west to east and vice versa than it is to go north-south. If you live off of Western or Washington or Central, even New Scotland there's relatively good bus service going downtown or west to the bigger shopping areas.

On top of that Albany is pretty walkable except for the almost vertical hill downtown that goes from Pearl St up to the Plaza and Capital building.

If the city gets hit with a big snow fall all bets are off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: