Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 AM

13 posts, read 86,392 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone. I am originally an Albany native currently living in the mid-Atlantic. I'm thinking of moving my family back to the Capital District because I'm really starting to miss that extended family experience for my children. Being from Albany, I should know this, but I'm looking for some fresh insights. My husband is in the tech field (engineering), so we need to be somewhere close to...civilization (within 30 minutes and telecommuting is not an option). What we'd really like, though, is something close to a "Vermont experience" (rural, close-knit community, easy access to nature and wildlife, local business culture, easy accessible farmed goods--raw milk, grass-fed beef, etc.). We'd like to be no more than an hour or two (preferably closer) to Albany. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:40 AM

Also, schools aren't an issue as we homeschool. A large, secular homeschooling community would be a plus, though.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:17 AM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yup that's me View Post
Hey, everyone. I am originally an Albany native currently living in the mid-Atlantic. I'm thinking of moving my family back to the Capital District because I'm really starting to miss that extended family experience for my children. Being from Albany, I should know this, but I'm looking for some fresh insights. My husband is in the tech field (engineering), so we need to be somewhere close to...civilization (within 30 minutes and telecommuting is not an option). What we'd really like, though, is something close to a "Vermont experience" (rural, close-knit community, easy access to nature and wildlife, local business culture, easy accessible farmed goods--raw milk, grass-fed beef, etc.). We'd like to be no more than an hour or two (preferably closer) to Albany. Thoughts?
What about Ballston Spa? It is actually near the town of Malta. That town happens to have some tech companies and the village is walkable. It isn't too far from Saratoga Springs if you want a little bit more as well. Corinth is another Saratoga County community that may work, but I'm not sure.

You could possibly look into Washington County communities like Cambridge and Greenwich, but they are a little bit over 30 minutes from the companies in Malta. They are closer to Vermont though. Salem and Granville may be other options if you can find work. Bennington VT is actually not that far away, but I'm not sure about companies that may be there.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:46 AM

Thank you! I was thinking about that area, but we haven't lived in the CD for over ten years, and I wasn't sure how the Saratoga region had progressed. We'd like some land (~10 acres). Any insights into good areas that (again) wouldn't be too far out of the way?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 AM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times
This may help in terms of land: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 08-18-2016, 05:03 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Quote:
Thank you! I was thinking about that area, but we haven't lived in the CD for over ten years, and I wasn't sure how the Saratoga region had progressed. We'd like some land (~10 acres). Any insights into good areas that (again) wouldn't be too far out of the way?
Check out the areas in Saratoga County outskirts: Town of Saratoga, Schuylerville, Quaker Springs, Wilton.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:55 PM

Thank you! Will do.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:22 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Quote:
As far as pasture raised farms go, we go to Kinderhook Farm in Valatie, NY (Ghent area). However, there are a plethora of "wild" farms in Washington County as well.

Eat Wild - New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area