Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 05:56 AM

530 posts, read 667,153 times

Advertisements

We had the occasion to be in New Paltz because we were attending a wedding. If you are seriously seeking hippies, you will think you've died and gone to hippy heaven if you step foot in this town. It's about an hour away from Albany but if this is really your top priority, you can always choose a town between the two locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 07:21 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
Celiac, so...nope, no beer. No plans to burn my bra either. Basically just looking for what I said--some land, a few chickens, maybe a little culture. Nice people would be a plus.

Sorry bout the celiac, gluten free seems the choice of many and the way things are headed regardless, so you will be in good company. My humor aside, your goal is worthy and noble, and I admire the fact you are home schooling your children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you know if the area has experienced any serious environmental issues due to the paper mill? I see that company is in Glens Falls and acquired a mill in nearby Cambridge, but I don't see anything in Salem.

Get the protest, picket line posters warmed up just in case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
We had the occasion to be in New Paltz because we were attending a wedding. If you are seriously seeking hippies, you will think you've died and gone to hippy heaven if you step foot in this town. It's about an hour away from Albany but if this is really your top priority, you can always choose a town between the two locations.

Phenomenal hiking, rock climbing and outdoor activities in this area as well, decent culture considering the size of the town. IMO you need a town with a good library, preferably more than one.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:18 PM

312 posts, read 354,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Lol. Thank you! I actually have relatives in New Paltz, and they are far from hippies, but I can totally see what you mean. I guess I'd gotten so caught up in thinking Albany and north that I completely forgot about Albany and south. Definitely somewhere to look into!

Old 10-27-2016, 12:20 PM

312 posts, read 354,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
IMO you need a town with a good library, preferably more than one.
We do love a good library system. Thanks for the reminder--we'll add it to the list of must-haves.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:36 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
Lol. Thank you! I actually have relatives in New Paltz, and they are far from hippies, but I can totally see what you mean. I guess I'd gotten so caught up in thinking Albany and north that I completely forgot about Albany and south. Definitely somewhere to look into!
Perhaps a community like Chatham in Columbia County may be an option south of Albany.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:41 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you know if the area has experienced any serious environmental issues due to the paper mill? I see that company is in Glens Falls and acquired a mill in nearby Cambridge, but I don't see anything in Salem.
Companies don't have issues. They have permits, searchable here

DEC Permit Applications

(Make sure to give yourself 1 hr after eating before searching on this site or your lunch may make a sudden re-appearance.)

Old 10-29-2016, 07:24 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Companies don't have issues. They have permits, searchable here

DEC Permit Applications

(Make sure to give yourself 1 hr after eating before searching on this site or your lunch may make a sudden re-appearance.)
So, what is the answer to the question?

Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 AM

225 posts, read 344,605 times
There's apparently a new living/studio venue for artists called The Albany Barn. I recently received a phone call after about 6 months, but I'd already found housing elsewhere.

There are plenty of old hippies in Albany, including some in the music/sound/band business and/or careers.

There are so many bedroom communities in the area that it shouldn't be difficult to find what you're looking for. Albany itself is huge and it sometimes takes less time to get to the smaller communities than it does to cross town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area