Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,121 times

Advertisements

I HOPE SOMEONE WHO READS THIS CAN HELP ME!! A month ago, my 21 year old daughter gave birth. She also has a 4 year old whom I have raised. Our lease was up on our last home and it had also been sold. I searched for 3+ months to find something in the middle of winter...very stressful. The closing on the old rental was the beginning of Jan. I still had not found something so our very kind landlord paid for a beautiful B&B so we could be comfortable with new baby while I still searched(it was for a weeks stay at the B&B). I found the "perfect" setup. A lovely little home on a quiet street which is just big enough for her and the 2 children. In the basement was another 3 bedroom apartment which would give her some autonomy but have me here to help her. Because this wasn't readily available the day I found it, I paid for a 3 week stay in a Marriott. It pretty much ate up my savings but knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel. I had signed a lease for the house and of course gave the deposit. The former tenant downstairs had moved out a few days before we arrived. I had been in contact with the landlady while we were at the hotel. She had hoped the tenants in the upstairs might go a bit early and we could save money on the hotel. The day we drove the truck into the driveway, she was waiting. Gave me a big hug and asked if we could move my daughters things in first. There was "someone" from town hall who was " simply doing some measuring" in the basement. No problem. 2 hours later, she took me aside and said " you can use the basement apartment as "storage" but you cannot set it up to look like you live there. Huh??? Um...ok. She said I'll give you a little break on the rent. I have to get it approved by the town. Huh again??? Bottom line...she has been renting the basement which has 3 bedrooms, bath, no stove but a fridge and a fire exit up a staircase which goes up to 1St floor of the house with sliders outside. So, all the time I was paying for a hotel, she knew her downstairs was illegal. After processing this, I paid my daughters rent and told her since I am essentially living in a storage unit I am not paying her "rent". I sleep on the floor, roll up my little mat in the morning. I run my own business and am so f***ING angry because here's the deal. My daughter is illequipped to be completely alone. I have a vehicle, she does not. There is NO room to live upstairs. The landlady is waiting for the building inspector to come to get her C of O. She said well, just move then. It would mean moving everyone and reliving the nightmare we just went through again. I did not sign a lease for downstairs at the time I signed the lease for upstairs. She tried to back out saying we never had a contract...I said that doesn't mean it didn't happen. She asked for money. 3 days before moving she asked me if I wanted the rugs cleaned in the basement. She had been reported for renting illegally by the former upstairs tenant but neglected to say a word to me. I have never been in this situation. I'm sorry this is so long.bI can't afford to move my whole family again not to mention the mental exhaustion I have gone through waiting for this house/apartment in a hotel. I feel I'm screwed with no way to retaliate. I am a law abiding hard working widow helping to raise my grandchildren and my irresponsible daughter. Please give me some advice. We live in the Hudson Valley. Thank you for reading this( if I haven't put you to sleep)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:36 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
I disagree that it is hard to find apartments in the wintertime. I have a friend who is a leasing manager at a complex in the Albany area (Lake Shore Park in Latham) and they always have a few places opening up at the beginning of every month.

Have you tried Hotpads.com? I found and was approved for an apartment in 4 days last July. Decent place in a nice neighborhood for a good price, and the landlord is a retired city firefighter and lives downstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area