Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, how did the city end up with a surplus?

Most older cities that can't annex are going to have higher rates in terms of poverty, crime, etc. Some of the poverty may result from different factors like say off campus RPI, Sage and HVCC students, along with the (stereo)typical poverty or perhaps even recent immigrants.

Troy's median household income for the period in that info(2010-2014) is actually higher than many of the bigger/medium sized Upstate cities.

You can view areas on this map that can give an idea of middle class(relatively lower to upper) in the city on a census tract or census block level: Troy, NY - USA.comâ„¢

This can help and includes family size as an option: Are you in the US middle class? Try our income calculator | Pew Research Center
How should I know? I'm as suprised as the Mayor and Common Council.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. So is it with Troy's income vs. Rochester's.

Troy, Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo and Binghamton are all residents of the same graveyard. I know every one of those cities. Whatever statistics may say, when you see them in person there is only one impression you get and it isn't bustling prosperity.

In upstate, Cooperstown and Saratoga Springs are desirable places to live. (Hudson too, because New York immigrants and commuters like it, being on Amtrak.) There are places like Ithaca, Pulaski, Watkins Glenn, i.e., mini-cities that get by because of some feature that is unique to them. And every city hulk has one or a few nice suburbs.

But if you are looking for an area going places, look to Raleigh-Durham, Orlando, or Austin. Those kind of places used to exist in upstate NY but no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 07:13 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
How should I know? I'm as suprised as the Mayor and Common Council.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. So is it with Troy's income vs. Rochester's.

Troy, Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo and Binghamton are all residents of the same graveyard. I know every one of those cities. Whatever statistics may say, when you see them in person there is only one impression you get and it isn't bustling prosperity.

In upstate, Cooperstown and Saratoga Springs are desirable places to live. (Hudson too, because New York immigrants and commuters like it, being on Amtrak.) There are places like Ithaca, Pulaski, Watkins Glenn, i.e., mini-cities that get by because of some feature that is unique to them. And every city hulk has one or a few nice suburbs.

But if you are looking for an area going places, look to Raleigh-Durham, Orlando, or Austin. Those kind of places used to exist in upstate NY but no more.
There are multiple neighborhoods in all of those cities that are doing just fine and some are seeing investment. Every city in this country is going to have a range of neighborhoods/areas within them and that includes Troy. All of them have generally solid to very nice suburbs as well.

Hudson also has a big art/antique scene that has appealed to artists/art lovers from NYC.

Pulaski is OK/fine, but I wouldn't say that it is on par with Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, Cooperstown or maybe even Watkins Glen, with the last 2 being villages(as is Pulaski).

I asked if you knew about Troy's surplus because I thought that you lived there or nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area