Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

I really need advice. I'm having a few issues and I'm not sure if I'm just not going about things properly or if the property management is just terrible.

Been living here for 4 months, on the second floor of a multi-family dwelling (but not.. I'll get to that in a second). When I signed the lease, there was garbage removal and I was told I could get mail to the house. This is only the beginning.

When I tried to set up mail forwarding shortly after moving in, USPS said there was only one address to the property, I could not have my own mailbox, and that I'd have to call the landlord regarding splitting the address into separate dwellings in order to have my own mailbox. I speak to the landlords, they say it's not possible. I need to have my mail delivered to one general mailbox, because the house is a single-family house and staying that way. Hmm. Ok.. I get a po box because I don't want stranger going through my stuff.

A month passes and I really need to start getting rid of moving boxes and my garbage is piling up, along with the neighbors.. found out the garbage isn't being picked up at all. I asked why, and what days we can put the trash out. They apparently shut off the garbage removal shortly after I moved in, and have no intention of reinstating it. Fine. I start taking my trash to the dump.. my neighbors don't.

Garbage is literally everywhere.. on their porch, all over the yard. There was mattress in the front yard, along with a lamp shade and a whole bunch of other junk. The house looks like complete trash on the outside. I eventually start noticing flies. Lots of them. I complained a handful of times about the garbage and the flies. The landlord's eventually get bins for the property (just regular bins you'd buy yourself), and tell the neighbor to use them. I eventually started getting my own garbage removal, because I can't stand living in filth.

Next issue.. I'm noticing the neighbors slam their door. A lot.. I mean, it's so loud and forceful that it makes you jump and startles the crap out of you. The windows shake, and I can even feel and hear it from the 3rd floor loft where my bedroom is. I went and knocked on their door, to which some shirtless guy answers. I explain to him how loud it is and ask if they could please stop. He seemed surprised and said he'd mention it to the lady paying the rent. I'm thinking ok cool.. problem solved. Nope!

Eventually, I'm woken up 3 times in the past month and a half in the middle of the night. The last time was about 2 weeks ago around 4:45 am. The door is being slammed over and over and there's a bunch of shuffling on the porch. I look outside and there's a taxi... Waiting ... For next 45 mins for someone to come out but he's blaring his horn because his someone is making him wait.

I eventually text the landlord (because they don't answer phone calls) about all of this noise and the fact the I'm woken up constantly now by the door and whatever partying they might be doing. I told them, I don't care about what they do as long as the door slamming stops, I'm cool with it. The wife landlord is slightly defensive but I again say, just fix the door if you can please. They agree.

Well! Today I get a knock on my door from a very pissed of downstairs neighbor. She's asking me, aggressively, what parties I think she's having. I told her what I said the the landlord and about the last incident with the taxi
I also tell her I don't care what she's doing, but I've asked about the door slamming and is hasn't stopped. She's super argumentative, talking over me, and clearly looking to fight. I said told her not to come to my door with that aggression and BS and that I don't have to listen to it and shut the door in her face. She literally stood out there for 3 more minutes cursing and screaming...

I text the landlord, so that I have it on record, exactly what just happened and that I will call the cops if all of this craziness continues as fair warning and to simply let them know. The landlord proceeds to argue with me that the noisey neighbor pays rent there too and shouldnt have to walk on eggshells.. I finish the conversation telling her that it's within my rights to live peacefully and not be woken up in the middle of the night a few times a month. It's excessive and I'm just asking for a little respect.

......................... Really? I have no idea what to do now. Am I being nit-picky?? Am I wrong? I don't have the funds to move right now and would like to continue staying here if at all possible. I'm at my wit's end though, and now a little afraid for my safety to be honest.. any ideas on how to fix this? Sorry for the novel!! And thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 936 times
Nevermind. Problem's been solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area