U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,784 times

Advertisements

Q44....so thank you very much for your input! So the people I spoke to were being honest about the area, as you have indicated (at least that's my take on what you said). So, say, I still want to re-locate for a year or, at the most, two can you kindly tell me some areas in Hudson that would be nice and safe to rent/lease for that are within walking distance to the hospital? That much would be surely appreciated....btw...I was told the Falls Apartments are safe, luxurious, and within a realistic walking distance to the hospital? Any comments about the Falls?

Again, thank you very much for your comments...appreciate it as I need to make a decision soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 796,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMD View Post
Q44....so thank you very much for your input! So the people I spoke to were being honest about the area, as you have indicated (at least that's my take on what you said). So, say, I still want to re-locate for a year or, at the most, two can you kindly tell me some areas in Hudson that would be nice and safe to rent/lease for that are within walking distance to the hospital? That much would be surely appreciated....btw...I was told the Falls Apartments are safe, luxurious, and within a realistic walking distance to the hospital? Any comments about the Falls?

Again, thank you very much for your comments...appreciate it as I need to make a decision soon.

The people you spoke to were being honest from their perspective. If you're a long term resident you knew there were some seedy areas, drug sales and such but there was never shooting in the streets which as I indicated have included women and children being wounded. I'm from NYC so I'm not taken back as much but even I have switched streets to drive down to get to the Amtrak station. Locals will tell you the old wisdom was always don't go past 5th St. Except for Warren St. The people responsible for the violence going on are concentrated near State St, 4 blocks north of Warren. This really does seem to be isolated between these groups, the concern is of course, not that they meet up in a more public area. My wife is actually in Hudson right now doing the grocery shopping on Rte 9. That's still a distance from the downtown area.

As far as real estate, apartment rentals, I'm no expert. Using the avoid going past 5th St wisdom eliminates most of the 'downtown' area. I do drive past the Falls and they do look really nice. Kind of an anomaly as far as the design and luxury when compared to the rest of Hudson which looks old. My wife and I joke about how they're really trying to attract more downstate people to the area. The Falls are across from the Vo-Tech HS which is nothing to worry about. Not a typical school with sports or anything going on at night. The Falls are walkable to some of the shops on 9 and I'd say if you're young and in shape the walk to CMH is for sure under 15 minutes, add a few if it's snowing.

If you're looking at this move as a 1-2 year thing then I'd say the Falls are a very good option. There's plenty to do on Warren St pretty much year round. If you want to pop down to the City it's just over 2 hours from the Amtrak station and it's usually got a good crowd of people coming and going. I believe it's the 3rd busiest Amtrak station in NY state. The rest of the county is rural but there are some interesting places in some of the other towns and the county is really pretty from a scenery point of view. Helps if you have a car. If you're not bringing a family and aren't worried about schools and this would help with experience or your resume and you're not a rival drug dealer looking for a place on State St then you could do it for a year or two. Good luck with the decision

Old 09-16-2017, 05:34 PM

3,531 posts, read 1,913,932 times
I think you should put a lot of weight on the remarks of the store clerks if you plan to live there forever. It's likely that they are long time residents and lower earners. Therefore, they are going to know more about the seedy side since they've grown up there and their lives are more impacted by the crime and the changes.
However, it doesn't mean that you're going to be affected since you're not on drugs, have no relationships/drama in town and are unlikely to live in the bad neighborhoods.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:31 PM

8,571 posts, read 10,021,877 times
Quote:
My first time ever using such a forum as this and it reeks of hostility, no information, no help, just animosity. If you live in Hudson, then you have just answered my question for me!
And if your hostility to those who are trying to provide input is an example of how you are then it's likely you will have problems no matter where you settle.....bless you

Old 09-29-2017, 12:16 PM

5,370 posts, read 2,201,207 times
Quote:
I was down for a job interview in Hudson, NY a week ago. Stopped to get gas and asked some of the people in the convenience store what they thought about Hudson and in general the living conditions; and also asked if they would relocate there. I was told by more than a few people to "run, run as fast as you can in any direction out of Hudson." I then asked about the crime situation. I was told there exists a vast drug dealing network based out of NYC and they, along with gangs, have saturated the area with illegal drugs. Another person indicated the majority of the people are on Social Services. Now, my potential employer did not have that viewpoint...but she doesn't live in Hudson...commutes from Albany...any thoughts anybody...need to get an apt. too. What's the apt situation like? Comments?
If you need a job that badly commute from Albany like your boss does. 9H can be a real pain in the butt during rush hour because every angry retiree chooses that time to be on the road.

The job may be available because Hudson itself is such a **** hole. For rentals check with the real estates on Warren Street.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:08 AM

115 posts, read 198,566 times
Default High Crime in Hudson

I've lived in Glens Falls since 2010 and Hudson and Troy are always in the news for drugs, drive by shootings, etc. I wouldn't live there if you paid me. There are plenty of other nicer places to live outside of the Albany area. You should research that.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 388 times
I'm very glad you were so honest about the situation IN Hudson. I'm also looking to relocate in the area mentioned.. as well as Ghent and/or Copake. Any background you could provide on Ghent and Copake?

Old 02-22-2019, 08:59 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 796,404 times
Not sure what kind of info you're looking for regarding Copake and Ghent? I'm in Kinderhook which is fairly close to Ghent. That town is just south of Chatham, it's a nice area, Chatham schools and has some shopping. There's a Price Chopper supermarket and the Chatham Food Market which is all local produce and products. There's a bowling alley and the County Fair is held in Chatham at the fair grounds in late August to Labor Day. There are a few other shops and a classic/vintage (old) single screen theater, The Crandell. Ghent runs along Rte 66 and has easy access to the Taconic and is fairly close to I 90 to Albany and east to the Mass Pike

I'm very familiar with Copake since that's where my wife's parents and grandmother had retired to and we used to use their house as a launching pad to do things in the area. A lot of Copake revolves around houses on Copake Lake and Robinson Pond. It's kind of a mix of retirees and weekenders coming up from downstate. Several of the people we know are or were teachers. The town has a couple of nice parks. Popular for the lakes and the pleasant weather. There are families as well, not to give the impression it's all retirees and weekenders. Kids in Copake go to Taconic Hills School. It's one large campus for every grade. Don't think the school rates as well as it should. There isn't much shopping in Copake. We used to drive over to Great Barrington for shopping and just to wander around. Cute town. There's much more shopping if you drive to Hudson, which has several box stores and grocery stores on Rte 9.

Both towns are nice. Ghent has more things to do locally in my opinion. Copake is very pleasant. Without looking on Zillow I'd assume Copake is a little lore expensive with higher taxes I'm guessing and if you're on one of the lakes you'll probably have an association fee which I know for the in-laws was several thousand dollars a year.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:13 PM

87 posts, read 51,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be mindful View Post
I'm very glad you were so honest about the situation IN Hudson. I'm also looking to relocate in the area mentioned.. as well as Ghent and/or Copake. Any background you could provide on Ghent and Copake?
I am quite familiar with this area. I grew up about 20 miles south of Hudson. I don't know what you are used to as far as nearby conveniences, but Copake is pretty much out there in the sticks. The same with Ghent, they are both very rural areas. I'm not even sure that Ghent has an actual town center? You won't find any large major grocery stores or chain-anything around those parts. Some people like that. You would be traveling at least 15-20 miles to any major store. Hudson has a retail strip along Rt 9 but nothing to get too excited about. I do like the area further north, East Greenbush-Renssalaer area for shopping but it's probably 20-30 miles north from there, maybe more. I'd say if you like quiet, it'd be for you. If you like convenience, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or